• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Looks like I'm getting a VW Jetta SEL. I test drove 7 cars on Monday, and of the 7, the Jetta, outperformed all of them except the one car that I could not afford which was the Jetta TDI Premium. The only downside is the VW Jetta SEL is a 2011, it has really really low miles(lower than 10k a year). But on the positive side it is about $360 less a year to insure than the 2013 is. The reason I ultimately am going with the SEL is it has so many features that I would never be able to afford in the new car, and doing 75mph down 65 it was getting 38-40mpg. Hit 43mpg when doing 55mph on 231. Kinda cool considering the car is only rated for 35MPG highway. I was reading on a VW forum that many of the Jetta owners are reporting better than sticker gas mileage.

The cars I test drove are as follows:
    Mazda 3
    Mazda CX-5
    Toyota Corolla S
    Ford Focus
    Honda Civic
    VW Jetta TDI Premium
    VW Jetta SEL with Nav and other goodies.

Well you know my fondness for the TDI version, but I don't think you can make a mistake.

As for the fuel economy, I'm not sure why, but the VW forums seem to have lots of members that report HIGHER than published fuel economy.

On my TDI we recently drove just a shade over 600 miles, with the AC blowing full blast, and had an "average" fuel economy of 42.5mpg for the entire trip, which included 1 full day of "city" driving in St Louis and highway speeds averaging about 72mph. I did the whole trip on 14.1 gallons of diesel.

medic6882

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Demotte
    I guess my Buyers remorse is because I was planning on saving up for a big named 1911. I saw this one and its a compact 1911 but fits my hand like a full sized one and it is ideal for CC and then once I fired it I kind of just had to have it. But now that I have thought it out I'm happy with the purchase and now I'll just start the gun fund over and save up for a new full size.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Well you know my fondness for the TDI version, but I don't think you can make a mistake.

As for the fuel economy, I'm not sure why, but the VW forums seem to have lots of members that report HIGHER than published fuel economy.

On my TDI we recently drove just a shade over 600 miles, with the AC blowing full blast, and had an "average" fuel economy of 42.5mpg for the entire trip, which included 1 full day of "city" driving in St Louis and highway speeds averaging about 72mph. I did the whole trip on 14.1 gallons of diesel.

I love the TDI Jetta's, but at current gas prices and current diesel fuel prices, financially, it is not worth having the TDI, at least not with the current prices. Even if I got the TDI Jetta, with the price difference, assuming I drove the car 250k miles, I would only save about $1500 in total costs(cost of vehicle, and savings on fuel at current prices). A savings of roughly $1500 for 250k miles is not worth it to me.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I love the TDI Jetta's, but at current gas prices and current diesel fuel prices, financially, it is not worth having the TDI, at least not with the current prices. Even if I got the TDI Jetta, with the price difference, assuming I drove the car 250k miles, I would only save about $1500 in total costs(cost of vehicle, and savings on fuel at current prices). A savings of roughly $1500 for 250k miles is not worth it to me.

I would disagree. The TDI will return real world fuel economy that is roughly 20-30% higher than a gas engine and is a bit quicker too. So you pay about 5-25 cents more per gallon (depending on the time of year) which is about 1% to 10% more per gallon, to get roughly 25% better long term fuel economy. It pays for itself if you drive a lot. We've got 72,000+ miles on our 2010 Jetta TDI, so its more than saved the added cost in reduced fuel expenses.

But again, you have to drive a lot to save money with a diesel.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Cabela's still has a decent amount of Herter's 9mm left. $14.99 for a 50 ct.

Blythe's in Griffith also has some Blazer and Aguila for $19.99 2 box limit.

Got my 350 rounds for the day. :)

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I would disagree. The TDI will return real world fuel economy that is roughly 20-30% higher than a gas engine and is a bit quicker too. So you pay about 5-25 cents more per gallon (depending on the time of year) which is about 1% to 10% more per gallon, to get roughly 25% better long term fuel economy. It pays for itself if you drive a lot. We've got 72,000+ miles on our 2010 Jetta TDI, so its more than saved the added cost in reduced fuel expenses.

But again, you have to drive a lot to save money with a diesel.

But in terms of price per mile, with the price difference, it is about the same. like in my home town. Regular Unleaded today $3.59 per gallon and the SEL Jetta gets lets say 35mpg, so that is about $0.10 per mile.

Diesel Fuel Prices in my home town $4.29, and lets say the TDI Jetta gets 48mpg, that is $0.09 per mile.

At those prices, lets say I have this new car for 250000 miles, that is a savings of $2500.00 in gas at current prices. But when you look at the price difference in the cars, the Jetta TDI w/ Premium and Nav@$27,555 and the Jetta SEL w/ Nav@ $25,250...

+ 2500 (added savings in Fuel for the TDI that won't be saved on the SEL)
    =$27,750

So by buying the TDI Jetta, I save $195 over 250,000 miles by buying the TDI Jetta.

That is about the best rough estimation job I can do without going into what 2.19% financing with be on the more expensive TDI vs what it will be on the less expensive SEL. Something tells me that the interest on the TDI will be higher than what I will be saving.

But at the end of the day, there is an ever slight performance upgrade to the TDI than with the SEL. About .87 seconds faster 0-60 and a little bit more pick up from 40-65 MPH.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    LEGO%2Blogo.jpg

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    In a crap load of pain right now... My Trigeminal Nueralgia is back with a vengeance. Started yesterday afternoon, woke me up, lasted about 45 minutes. Then again right before work last night, lasted 45 minutes the whole drive to work. Then hit hard at 0300, lasted until 0530... Actually made me want to cry. Got home from work, went to bed around 1000 and it hit hard, woke me up from a dead sleep at 1245 or so, finally starting to wind down.

I don't remember it being this painful. And it's always been painful. Hot poker behind right eye, hammer trying to beat out of my right temple, mike tyson clocked me in my right jaw. Hurts to cough, laugh, talk, sneeze, move, touch, chew, swallow.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    In a crap load of pain right now... My Trigeminal Nueralgia is back with a vengeance. Started yesterday afternoon, woke me up, lasted about 45 minutes. Then again right before work last night, lasted 45 minutes the whole drive to work. Then hit hard at 0300, lasted until 0530... Actually made me want to cry. Got home from work, went to bed around 1000 and it hit hard, woke me up from a dead sleep at 1245 or so, finally starting to wind down.

I don't remember it being this painful. And it's always been painful. Hot poker behind right eye, hammer trying to beat out of my right temple, mike tyson clocked me in my right jaw. Hurts to cough, laugh, talk, sneeze, move, touch, chew, swallow.

All right.
    quagmire.png

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    But in terms of price per mile, with the price difference, it is about the same. like in my home town. Regular Unleaded today $3.59 per gallon and the SEL Jetta gets lets say 35mpg, so that is about $0.10 per mile.

Diesel Fuel Prices in my home town $4.29, and lets say the TDI Jetta gets 48mpg, that is $0.09 per mile.

At those prices, lets say I have this new car for 250000 miles, that is a savings of $2500.00 in gas at current prices. But when you look at the price difference in the cars, the Jetta TDI w/ Premium and Nav@$27,555 and the Jetta SEL w/ Nav@ $25,250...

+ 2500 (added savings in Fuel for the TDI that won't be saved on the SEL)
    =$27,750

So by buying the TDI Jetta, I save $195 over 250,000 miles by buying the TDI Jetta.

That is about the best rough estimation job I can do without going into what 2.19% financing with be on the more expensive TDI vs what it will be on the less expensive SEL. Something tells me that the interest on the TDI will be higher than what I will be saving.

But at the end of the day, there is an ever slight performance upgrade to the TDI than with the SEL. About .87 seconds faster 0-60 and a little bit more pick up from 40-65 MPH.

Real world average combined city/hwy will be closer to 28 to 32 for the gas engine, I average about 41 with diesel.

As for fuel prices I see diesel at $3.89 to $4.09 consistently over the past year, gas at $3.59 to $4.05 over the same time period, with gas costing more than diesel about 20% of the time and diesel more expensive about 80% of the time and the normal price spread at less than 25-cents per gallon.

Last edited:

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Real world average combined city/hwy will be closer to 28 to 32 for the gas engine, I average about 41 with diesel.

With the real world average combined city/hwy, then become $0.12 per mile for the SEL, and $0.11 per mile for the TDI. Though I have heard that the TDI's require even less maintenance than the gas Jetta's.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom