Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    No if you get a mac, you will just have to run it up to Chicago to the mac store whenever you have a problem with it and you will have to first get a appointment for your visit and have lots of money with you when you go....

MAC's have hardware problems
    MAC's have software or OS problems
    MAC's can get viruses...

but MAC's only get worked on by MAC....

Hmmmm. . . . been running Macs for 20+ years at home and at my office. Been running various versions of DOS and then Windows since 1983. Used to teach employees how to use Windows machines. Had 2 on full time staff to keep Windows machines running. Sure they are customizable, but that open source concept comes at the price of reliability. A Mac is a proprietary system, its harder to reconfigure and more expensive initially, however over the long term they are actually cheaper to own. Fewer forced upgrades, more reliable parts, lower long term expenses.

Have 5 Macs in the house now, 3 laptops, 2 desktops, plus 2 iPads and 3 iPhones. None has ever had a virus. None has had a hardware problem. Never have gotten a virus.

I have, over the years, had a hard drive or 2 crash. That is why you back things up. Apple over-night shipped me a box, I shipped it back, had the fixed computer in 3 or 4 days. Never had to take one to Chicago to the Apple Store. Buy the "AppleCare" for 3 years free parts/labor/support/hand holding/advice/etc its worth it, especially for a newbie who doesn't know anything but Windows.

No computer is perfect. Not even a Mac. But its as close as you can get.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Hmmmm. . . . been running Macs for 20+ years at home and at my office. Been running various versions of DOS and then Windows since 1983. Used to teach employees how to use Windows machines. Had 2 on full time staff to keep Windows machines running. Sure they are customizable, but that open source concept comes at the price of reliability. A Mac is a proprietary system, its harder to reconfigure and more expensive initially, however over the long term they are actually cheaper to own. Fewer forced upgrades, more reliable parts, lower long term expenses.

Have 5 Macs in the house now, 3 laptops, 2 desktops, plus 2 iPads and 3 iPhones. None has ever had a virus. None has had a hardware problem. Never have gotten a virus.

I have, over the years, had a hard drive or 2 crash. That is why you back things up. Apple over-night shipped me a box, I shipped it back, had the fixed computer in 3 or 4 days. Never had to take one to Chicago to the Apple Store. Buy the "AppleCare" for 3 years free parts/labor/support/hand holding/advice/etc its worth it, especially for a newbie who doesn't know anything but Windows.

No computer is perfect. Not even a Mac. But its as close as you can get.

^^
    And this comrades is what you call a member of the Outer Party!
    Melensdad I'm sure sits each day in the front row for the 2 minutes of APPLE speech.

apple_1984_alloveragain-thumb-550xauto-42709.jpg

I'll go kicking and screaming to the ministry of love before I ever get an apple product.

Oh what irony is it not.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zfqw8nhUwA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_(advertisement)
    The 1984 Apple commerical which was suppose to be apple vs big brother actually turned out to be not 1984 (the book) but more like animal farm (the short story) where in the end the pigs end up looking like the prior farmer.

Apple did not liberate the "pc world" it tighten control of it to the point where it is big brother.

Yes, Steve Jobs, was a great visionary and without him APPLE is nothing. APPLE lost its direction when they kicked Jobs out and is again losing it's direction now that Jobs is gone. Jobs was in fact big brother and with no equal replacement to him it's only a matter of time before APPLE crumbles from within.

However, I would not trade the safety of an APPLE machine for the liberty of being able to do whatever the f** I want on my computer.

Hum... where have I heard that before?
    Hum...

Funny how everything is connected right.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Big Brother or Anarchy

Apparently those are the 2 choices in the computer world?

Some of us, who don't make a living fixing PCs, and who actually own BOTH Macs & PCs (I own 2 PCs and am webmaster for the fencing club and bought a PC for the club) see things a bit more clearly.

Yes, Apple will only certify parts that conform to its standards. Because if it says "Mac Compatible" then it should be as simple as plug and play and then it should work seamlessly with their products.

Yes, Windows is open, no warranty is voided if you take 12 year old parts and shove them in your 2 month old box, or visa versa, but then you have hardware and software compatibility issues.

So I suppose that FORD, which uses (or used to use) "Type F" transmission fluid is like Apple because most of the rest of the world uses "Dextron" transmission fluid so they are Windows?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    :( im gonna take her :):

If and only if you find my unicorn.
    Major prize for the first one who brings me my unicorn.
    :)

Big Brother or Anarchy

Oh come now don't forget your histroy.
    APPLE in 1984 was a hero. Back then the world was dominated not by the PC but by IBM. You asked what a computer was back then and the first thing to pop into anyone's mind was IBM. IBM controlled the hardware and software (via MS-DOS). Sure they allowed some IBM compatiable clones but for the most part it was a "blue world".

Apple took the fight directlty to IBM back in 1984 and while it won in some respects (made it easier for the masses to get online, for graphic artist to move to the digital realm) it also became the very same thing it was fighting againt.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Now I'm not going to get too deep into this but as the IT guy for a major Library system with over 300 PC's, and 20 MAC's to maintain... they are just as troublesome in either department but everything was more expensive and particuliar in the MAC department... and they do get viruses...

Now just a couple other facts I believe from working in the computer market for almost 16 years... Everything requires maintenance... Users need to know when to not click or tell whatever device they are using to do or not do something... Hard drives fail... MAC would have been dead 10 years ago if Microsoft wouldn't have invested major capitable into them to make sure they had a competitor in the computer market....

by the way I like the IPAD and this new level of mobile computing is a MAC originated idea... Android will probably do it better in the end as they are open source, but the apple people have something working in that department right now...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    sssshhhhh GB don't save MACs don't get viruses.
    There is a goldmine of noob users on Iphone/pads now who have the CC linked to those devices along with their FB accounts and it has been shown several times over the the development conferences that wireless transactions via the devies is not secure.

:drool: over the vast amount of money to be made here.
    :faint:

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    I once saw Jedi get just a wee bit dirty, at the last meet & shoot. It is very hard to tell that there is any dirt at all on his hands.
    20130420_143322_zps1596619b.jpg

20130420_143425_zps9278a5c2.jpg

I helped, as best I could, darkkevin yesterday fix my car (trans, front struts, control arms) and I was sad I only got a little dirty. Granted, it would have taken twice as long for him to tell me how to do stuff, then for him to just do it himself, so that was a big part of not getting dirtier. But I do enjoy getting out of my comfort zone (stuffy office job, yuck) and working with my hands.
    IMG951320_zpsa6da4561.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Oh come now don't forget your histroy.
    APPLE in 1984 was a hero. Back then the world was dominated not by the PC but by IBM. You asked what a computer was back then and the first thing to pop into anyone's mind was IBM. IBM controlled the hardware and software (via MS-DOS). Sure they allowed some IBM compatiable clones but for the most part it was a "blue world". . .

Sorry but I don't care.

Seriously I'm not going to get into a GEEK fight over this stuff.

I just want a simple computer that will do what I want it to do, with as few issues as are possible, and do it as easily and as trouble free as is both practical and possible.

I do understand that there are benefits of each system. I just don't care about hard core game machines, or uber fast video refresh rates, or blah blah blah.

I care that our whole system works, without grief. That means the wi-fi, the printers, the tablets, the computers and even the house telephones that the iPhones are connected to via Bluetooth. Once a year, give or take, we will have a problem with 1 of our devices and all I do is call the AppleCare hotline and they solve my problem, usually with one or two phone calls and almost always its a software issue that I caused but that they talk me through the fix.

My life is not dedicated to fixing computers. Computers are just a tool and a toy for me to use/play with. Nothing more.

My experiences with many brands and many operating systems is that Macs just are easier for the average south of 30 resident to use and to keep running.

PINK GLOVES :dunno:

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Interesting turn of events on the work front. Heard from a reliable source that my interview for the promotion, in another department, may just be a formality and my name was on top of the list.

Well today I discover that I have an investigation tomorrow for setting a pattern and excessive calling off. I missed 2 1/2 days this year for the flu. And the half day butted up against my off day. Plus 1 single day in January, where I was just under the weather and due to not feeling well I was up all night so I called in because I didn't get any sleep.

My union rep talked and they want to fire me for 10 days, because I have 10 days over my head for the safety issue I turned myself in for last year.

I won't know until later if I work tonight or not. Since my job falls under the federal hours of service and I wouldn't get off work until 0700 and would have to be back for my investigation at 1500.

Now the kicker is if I call off tonight I get paid my normal daily rate for not working + time and a half for coming in outside of my regular hours for the investigation. Basically, due to the contract, if they hold the investigation they have to pay me $800.

I'd still loose 10 days pay, or 6 actually, because time served includes regular off days. Plus they allow you to use vacation days during fired time. So I really won't loose money, just paid time off.

But I find it interesting that I hear I may be leaving my department then my department decides to "punish me".

But the several others who have received letters for calling off just received a letter of reprimand.

So yeah, just got home from work and I'm feeling the love right now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom