• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I carry a plug kit and 12v pump with me. Used it many a time, I drive through lots of nails I guess. I know it's okay, but I don't want to gunk up my tires with that stuff. Wasn't fix a flat flammable or something at one point? I always pictured someone lighting up while taking of the rim, and poof, fireball.

DNR ranges are closed mondays aren't they??
    Yes, but I think he's going Tuesday. That's why I hate taking Monday's off, nothing to do.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I carry a plug kit and 12v pump with me. Used it many a time, I drive through lots of nails I guess. I know it's okay, but I don't want to gunk up my tires with that stuff. Wasn't fix a flat flammable or something at one point? I always pictured someone lighting up while taking of the rim, and poof, fireball.

I think Fix A Flat may be flammable, but Slime is not.

I thought I had one of those plug kits in the car, but I also remember using a plug kit to fix a hole in a tractor tire that GeronimoJoe popped!!! Wonder if I took it from this car and then didn't replace it???

In any case there was sidewall damage so the tire is trash and needs to be replaced :( I had to drive about a block and a half before I could pull off the road into a safe parking lot. I was on IL 1/Dixie Hwy in Chicago Heights and there are few places to pull over that are safe.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    We were leaving on a road trip to NC then to Fla to see the last shuttle launch. I had just bought my car. Went to move it and the tire pressure light went on. Nail in the tire. :( I was out of plugs. Ran up to walmart, got a new (Slime) plug kit. Nothing like starting a road trip sweaty.

Spudgunr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    NWI - Porter County
    I have heard that you should keep screws of various sizes (short lengths though) and a screw driver handy, that if a hole is too big for the slime to fill that you can purposely insert or keep the screw in the tire and then slime it and that it'll likely hold until you can get it properly fixed. Sounds like you used your noggin though and got it to work regardless. Of course, patching would be the best course of action (i don't have a patch kit, so color me hypocritical).

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    ...Nothing like starting a road trip sweaty.

I hate that! Nothing worse that getting in the car sweaty and driving a long distance.

Of course, patching would be the best course of action (i don't have a patch kit, so color me hypocritical).
    Patch kit would only hold for a while. There was sidewall damage so the tire is trash. It might go for a month, might go for 6 months, but when it finally gives way it will be bad. So I just ordered a new tire. Should be installed later today.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    This => SLIME – Worldwide Leader in Tire Care – Repairing a flat tire? Slime Tire & Tube Sealant

Been using it for years in tractor tires, tires in wheelbarrows, etc. They now make it for automotive/high speed tire use.

Be careful when you use any type of Fix-A-Flat or Slime on a tire with Tire Pressure Monitor System, as the stuff in the liquid will destroy the sensor by a chemical reaction and melt the TPMS and they run from 100.00 to 300.00 each to replace. Some vehicles may have a TPMS on the spare tire and the light will go on the dash while all the tires are full of air.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Be careful when you use any type of Fix-A-Flat or Slime on a tire with Tire Pressure Monitor System, as the stuff in the liquid will destroy the sensor by a chemical reaction and melt the TPMS and they run from 100.00 to 300.00 each to replace. Some vehicles may have a TPMS on the spare tire and the light will go on the dash while all the tires are full of air.

Yup, that is why it was my LAST option but also my ONLY option this morning. Its also why I went straight to the tire dealer after dropping my daughter off at school. Got to get that stuff cleaned out before it destroys the sensor.

On tires without sensors, like my tractor, side-by-side, etc then its not an issue. But in a car with air pressure sensors then the use of these products is an emergency measure that should be considered temporary.

hey bob, what ever happened with the noisy front end on the tourag anyway?

Bearings going out. Transaxle has to be replaced. Getting a rebuilt unit, its on order, should arrive soon, includes a 1 year warranty. Dealership wanted to replace it with a brand new unit at over twice the cost.

Last edited:

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    @ Kevin mostly but too all.
    Just got back from Gander Mountain and it is looking nice in there. HUGH Gun Walls, Yes WALLS will be set up. Not much in the lines of ammo right now. Some 44rem, 357, 762x54r and this for Kevin. I picked up 25 rds of 00Buck for $20

and

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Silly newbie.

Everything you need to know about guns can be learned from listening to Joe Biden, playing video games and watching movies.

Yup!!!
    Call of Duty - In Real Life
    real_life_call_of_duty-120435.jpg

and amount of ammo used by real army vs online
    Call-of-Duty-in-Real-Life-633x353.jpg

:D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads