• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Oh those Tabak Especials, so delicious. Sounds like we also need a Meet and Coyote Shoot at Melensdad's house. He says the coyotes are out of range, well maybe for his 6.5mm Grendel, but I think I could bring over a .204 Ruger that would be up to the challenge.
    Last night they were on the other side of the creek, which is not my land. Not sure how good of an idea it is too shoot across property lines and kill animals on someone else's property. The Grendel can reach out and kill them, but I'm not going to shoot over the creek (its way too wide/deep to wade across)

When are you getting more Berings in?
    Never. The brand is no longer in existence. Some of the big cigar companies that own multiple brands are culling down to their core brands and then expanding their line within the core brands.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Last night they were on the other side of the creek, which is not my land. Not sure how good of an idea it is too shoot across property lines and kill animals on someone else's property.

Well you should have specified that. Ok someone needs to get permission from Melensdad's neighbor to eliminate some coyote scum. I expect they are north of 30 coyotes since they are annoying, they can't be those south of 30 coyotes that prefer to not bother anyone.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    OK, I'll bite ... how does the 6.5 Grendel compare to the .204 Ruger?

@ Jedi
    they let rednecks into MK? :dunno:;)

BTW -1 to WD and melensdad for never answering my PM on FL and printing. More on that once I post my AAR on CCing from IN to FL. Hopefully tonight.

You sure you sent me something? Just checked my PM's ... nothing there regarding Florida. :dunno:

Of course, I might have looked at it and thought all that thug jibberish was just your low blood sugar and deleted it. I swear, your posts are getting harder and harder to decipher. :D

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    No suspecting to it. They are trying to get in the back door of my barn. My neighbor just called me and told me he saw four of them around three this morning trying to get in. I saw two on the back of my property last night myself.

Thankfully they haven't come around the barn to the other two wide open doors yet.

He said he will be up tonight trying to get them.

@ Jedi

You sure you sent me something? Just checked my PM's ... nothing there regarding Florida. :dunno:

Of course, I might have looked at it and thought all that thug jibberish was just your low blood sugar and deleted it. I swear, your posts are getting harder and harder to decipher. :D

--in proper English--
    You know you may be right. I just looked at my PMs and only see the PMs between me and Fenway for last week. I know I send you and melensdad a PM regarding CCing and printing in FL but I don't see it in my outbox.

Perhaps my phone never did sent it? :dunno:

---back to normal english--
    :laugh:
    Ya just ignoring Jedi da iz all! Jedi knows it!
    BTW Jedi has not gotten no email WD said WD was going to send.:dunno:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Who wants to come over and shoot some damned coyotes? Had me up half the night again last night. Seems they are coming up to the barn trying to catch my barn cats. I don't mind them keeping the cat population down, but I do mind them being at the barn and making so much NOISE.

I guess I will have to go out and zero my MP without the suppressor. Grrrrr.

You can borrow my .223 AR 15. But its a bit noisier, and only iron sights.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Am I invited ? Love predator hunting... Guessing at the distances you have available a 22LR or 2WMR would suffice but I've killed, literately blew up prarie dogs out to 800 yards with a 223 cartridge. I wouldnt think you would need much moe than a 22 to do the job.

Guessing that the yotes are hungry being the condition of our growing season this year...

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Another thought.... Saiga 12, drum, shotshells, night vision, yotes... ye haw...

sorry I have those 21 year old moments ever once in a while...

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Am I invited ? Love predator hunting... Guessing at the distances you have available a 22LR or 2WMR would suffice but I've killed, literately blew up prarie dogs out to 800 yards with a 223 cartridge. I wouldnt think you would need much moe than a 22 to do the job.

Guessing that the yotes are hungry being the condition of our growing season this year...

They must have over hunted the area, to come to the barn after the cats. The crops look pretty good by me, so I can't imagine the other little furry creatures are starving.

I know the mole population is doing well, gauging by the number the cats have been catching.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008

204 would be faster and flatter shooting but would lose kenectic energy much faster and would be subject to wind drift. For varmint size animals the 204 would do the job easily. 204 Ruger is going to be effective too. Assuming light varmint bullets in the 6.5 Grendel it would easily work, but would still not match the velocity of the even lighter weight Ruger bullets. Not sure how far the 204 Ruger would remain effective on a coyote size animal, longer distances would clearly favor the Grendel.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Not sure but you might have to watch the 6.5 for over penetration on a varmint. One of the reasons we tryed to keep our calibers based around the 22/224 super explosive based bullets when hunting prarie dogs. Don't want to hit someone's cow you know...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Not sure but you might have to watch the 6.5 for over penetration on a varmint. One of the reasons we tryed to keep our calibers based around the 22/224 super explosive based bullets when hunting prarie dogs. Don't want to hit someone's cow you know...

Absolutely. Which is why I specified the ligher varmint bullets. There are 85~95 grain bullets suitable. Sierra 85gr HP and Hornady 95gr V-Max. Both are thin jacket bullets suitable for coyote and both should completely tear apart at velocities from the Grendel when hitting a song dog.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    cool, like I was pointing out... I'm not well versed with the 6.5 Grendel yet... Plan on it though.. I know from being out in South Dakota and talking to the ranchers that some people will show up with 308's in thier fields and that just leads to injured or dead cows or bullet riddled farm implements... Gotta watch the design of the bullet and of course what is in the backstop to where the yote is hanging out too...

looking forward to trying that 6.5 out... got a upper n lower that would be perfect for that build laying around here...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom