NWI INGO General Post - Part 23 - Its ffffaaarrr 2 go anywhere, pink banjos and raccoon sticker glocks

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Sorry I just wanted to cover a few key points with yall.

If I wander out of this thread all I ever hear is religious garbage.

I don't see anything wrong with talking about stuff in here. I mean, I have little to say about pink banjos or raccoon (though they should all die via 22 magnum) or G***ks, etc ...

What I do have to say, or rather question, is the following note I found on a 9mm ammo advertisement. This is one of the most common Brass round nose ammo available.

" It is recommended that you do not shoot this ammunition through any firearm with a ported barrel, the thin jacket may sheer off when traveling past any ports in a firearms barrel which can be damaging to the firearm or dangerous to the user."

I had never seen this, about danger of shooting certain ammo with ported barrels. I don't have a lot of ported barrels, but I do have a couple ported rifles, like the one below (have in 357 and 44 mag).

Anybody ever heard of danger of peeling the jacket off bullets in a ported barrel?

After viewing the pic, you can go back to the regular programming of pink kittys and such.

Cropped IMG_2316.jpg

Cropped IMG_2317.jpg

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Anybody ever heard of danger of peeling the jacket off bullets in a ported barrel?
    The warning is for plated rounds the copper coating on plated rounds is thinner than on jacketed rounds.

Try scratching the coating off a plated round and then do the same with a jacketed round and you'll see the difference.

Because it's thinner the plating can peel off when you use a ported barrel. At least that's why the warming is on boxes of plated rounds.

mmpsteve

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    The warning is for plated rounds the copper coating on plated rounds is thinner than on jacketed rounds.

Try scratching the coating off a plated round and then do the same with a jacketed round and you'll see the difference.

Because it's thinner the plating can peel off when you use a ported barrel. At least that's why the warming is on boxes of plated rounds.

No Sir, these are FMJ Blazer Brass. I'm thinking of picking up a couple cases at this price:

https://www.velocityammosales.com/p...s-124-grain-full-metal-jacket-1000-round-case

I had never seen any warning or even mention of that possibility in all my "gun travels".

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

mmpsteve

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    I run those thru my ported shield without issue.

I'm a relative newcomer to the 9mm (a few years now), and I don't look for ammo often or follow pricing, but .25 cpi seems reasonable in these sporty times for factory ammo. Placed my order: 2000 rounds, free shipping, plus tax. Last order with this company it was on my doorstep in two days.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    No Sir, these are FMJ Blazer Brass. I'm thinking of picking up a couple cases at this price:

https://www.velocityammosales.com/p...s-124-grain-full-metal-jacket-1000-round-case

I had never seen any warning or even mention of that possibility in all my "gun travels".

I too have never heard of this warning before. Maybe somebody had a poor port job done and there was an edge that shaved bullets and now legal says everybody gets the warning .

But thanks for the notice on the ammo. That seems to be a good price so I ordered a couple cases.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    @mmpsteve - as I wrote above, plated ammo has a thinner coating of copper. The Blazer Brass boxes used to have the warning on them about not using them in ported barrels. I just looked at the ones I have on hand, 124 grain, and the box does NOT have the warning.

An internet search will show up plenty of posts about it and even some ranges where the ammo was banned from use.

Older Blazer ammo I had you could scratch it and see the lead bullet, I can't do that with the current batch I have. They may have changed the process for making these.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Further proof I am an idiot and don't even listen to myself.

I knew shifting sleep schedules were causing migraines.
    So, over the last year, I've been trying to adjust... to sleep AT NIGHT.
    And.. migraines have been getting less frequent and less intensive.

So, what do I do?
    A couple days of being awake at night, and sleeping when I can.
    And now.. I'm paying for it.
    Migraine so bad it's inducing nausea.
    And, when I'm in pain, my tremors get worse. Well, right now, my tremor is so bad I can't get through typing a single line without having to go back to correct errors in typing.

I NEED to catch up on the Legion finances.
    But, hard to do that with a migraine. It's not fun to do without one.
    And with the tremor, well I'm stuck for now watching videos, until they can come a bit more under control.

ugh.
    Bad enough when you don't have a clue what is causing them.
    But when you know, and ignore it...

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    @mmpsteve - as I wrote above, plated ammo has a thinner coating of copper. The Blazer Brass boxes used to have the warning on them about not using them in ported barrels. I just looked at the ones I have on hand, 124 grain, and the box does NOT have the warning.

An internet search will show up plenty of posts about it and even some ranges where the ammo was banned from use.

Older Blazer ammo I had you could scratch it and see the lead bullet, I can't do that with the current batch I have. They may have changed the process for making these.
    I have never seen jacket separation like that. I shoot at paper quite a bit and use Blazer Brass part of the time, don't know how big of a part though. I don't think I have a single 9mm ported barrel.

mmpsteve

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    I've never actually seen jacket separation either. I buy Blazer Brass with no qualms.

With your first response, I thought you meant copper-washed, as in .22 ammo. I didn't realize different rounds would have that much difference in jacket thickness.

I don't have any 9mm ported firearms either, was just making a mental note for if I needed to consider the porting on my 357 and 44 leverguns when buying range ammo. Learn something new every day!

And thanks for the links Marvin.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom