• Status
    Not open for further replies.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

"The good people of Porter County just proved there’s still plenty of heart left in America’s Heartland. This was revealed during the 2022 4-H Livestock Auction on July 28th, part of the 4-H Celebration Sale, and the commercial climax of the 2022 Porter County Fair.

" Hudson Duttlinger’s champion hog sold for more than 160 times the average market price. Years ago, Hudson’s mother, Ashlee, was diagnosed with colon cancer, and has been battling ever since. She was in remission, and then it all came back again. It has been an up and down battle for years, but never once has Ashlee had a bad attitude about anything in life….Unfortunately her fight has become too much, and they have brought in hospice to make her more comfortable. Though as she texted with Anna a few days ago, she said this is not the end and she will continue to battle. At 38 years old, no mother should have to say goodbye to her children.

Using organizing skills honed by decades of professional and personal experience, the Krafts [friends of the Duttlingers] put together this bidding “war” for the 2022 auction, and by the time the gavel cracked SOLD, 116 donations had been made, many over $500. These donations were treated a collective buyer for the auction.

When Hudson stepped into the auction circle on Thursday night, he had thousands of eyes trained on him, but no doubt he thought of one set in particular: his mom Ashlee Duttlinger, watching her son’s hard work shatter 4-H records on the auction’s livestream. No mother could be prouder."

In only minutes, and to the thunderous applause and tears of a packed barn, bidding on a young man’s 300-pound hog broke state and county records. This champion brought in a show-stopping, jaw-dropping $340 per pound.

Now do the math…$340 x 300lbs = $102,000. "​

"The 4-H Celebration Sale website gives us a clearer picture. Under the page subheading Interested in Being a Buyer? the organizers list the average price by pound and by total for livestock sold at these auctions:

'Swine – $2.00 to $2.50 per pound (250 lbs. +/-) = ~ $625.00.'"

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Took my wife over to Elkhart County yesterday to see some quilt gardens along their Heritage trail she was reading about. We made it around to Middlebury, Goshen and Elkhart before calling it a day. I wasn't into the gardens much but she was happy with it. First time in 30 years living in the state that I checked out the local tourism over there. We'll go back again some day.

We drove past the fairgrounds in Goshen and discovered that the Elkhart County Fair is going on this week. It looks pretty huge compared to Porter County which is my only county fair experience around here.

We came across an old police booth located in downtown Goshen which was used as a lookout post for spotting gangsters passing through town back during that period of time.

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Took my wife over to Elkhart County yesterday to see some quilt gardens along their Heritage trail she was reading about. We made it around to Middlebury, Goshen and Elkhart before calling it a day. I wasn't into the gardens much but she was happy with it. First time in 30 years living in the state that I checked out the local tourism over there. We'll go back again some day.

We drove past the fairgrounds in Goshen and discovered that the Elkhart County Fair is going on this week. It looks pretty huge compared to Porter County which is my only county fair experience around here.

We came across an old police booth located in downtown Goshen which was used as a lookout post for spotting gangsters passing through town back during that period of time.

View attachment 214528

View attachment 214529
    Supposedly, the Elkhart County Fair is Indiana's biggest county fair.

Growing up just across the border in Edwardsburg, MI, I never went. I did, however, make my way down to main street in Goshen for cruising in the '80s....which had a robustly heterosexual meaning back then.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    So I just filled out the survey for my property for the sewer line project in Calumet Township. I was surprised that they are running the sewers down the streets instead of in the rear where there is a 20 foot utility easement. Current connections to septic are the the rear of most of the properties, so I am waiting to find out if I'll have to run a drain line connection to the front of the house. Maybe we'll get some drainage also?

Anyone ever have your home converted to "city sewer" from septic? What headaches did you run into?

We are in "Basin 7" which is one f the first to get actual construction. Looks like I'll have to attend any meetings they have.

This project brought to you by federal Covid money, AKA the American Rescue Plan Act.

BTW - hope everyone has a great weekend!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So I just filled out the survey for my property for the sewer line project in Calumet Township. I was surprised that they are running the sewers down the streets instead of in the rear where there is a 20 foot utility easement. Current connections to septic are the the rear of most of the properties, so I am waiting to find out if I'll have to run a drain line connection to the front of the house. Maybe we'll get some drainage also?

Anyone ever have your home converted to "city sewer" from septic? What headaches did you run into?

We are in "Basin 7" which is one f the first to get actual construction. Looks like I'll have to attend any meetings they have.

This project brought to you by federal Covid money, AKA the American Rescue Plan Act.

BTW - hope everyone has a great weekend!

Storm drains, or house waste?

I had my house waste taken off the septic system.
    But instead of the normal system, we got high pressure system.
    Everyone has a pump on the house. The city paid for the pump, IF you connected during a certain timeframe. If you waited, and then connected, you had to pay for the pump, which was $6,000.
    Either way, you had to pay an electrician and a plumber to hook up the pump.

And now, if the pump breaks, you get to pay for that. :xmad:
    I've had my pump replaced once so far.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    house waste

What was the cost of connecting the pump?

Replacement cost?

I'm going to go to the meetings and try to gather as much info as I can.
    I had city water and sewage done at the same time.
    Costs around $6,000 between the two, if I remember.

I think $600 for the electrician to connect the pump. But he had to run conduit the length of the house because my pump is on the opposite side as the ckt bkr box.
    My parents had shorter to go, therefore cheaper.
    That was YEARS ago though, so expect it to be more.

I don't remember the cost of plumber.
    And I had the guy connecting the pump and the city water at the same time anyway.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I don't remember the cost of replacing the pump.
    It wasn't $6k, because that was the whole thing. A big tank with level switches and stuff in it.
    The pump doesn't come on every time you flush.
    The tank fills up, I think it was something like 20 flushes.
    Then the limit switch trips the pump on. At a low limit, it shuts the pump off.

There is a third limit. Set above the other 2.
    If this one trips, an audible and visual alarm trips letting you know there is a problem.
    My alarm is right outside the outside wall of the bathroom, and I heard it a bit faintly. Didn't know what it was at first.

Turns out, the pump would pump slowly, so the flush would go above the alarm.
    Then the pump slowly pumped it out, resetting alarm.

So, they only had to replace the pump.
    But it was, I don't know, above $1,000 I think. Figure a pump is gonna probably be in the hundreds. Then the labor.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Sorry my memory is a bit fuzzy.
    But when they did this job, I was working double shifts a couple weeks.
    I don't remember much about that time.

:(

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If you want, you can come by and see the pump.

I also had a new circuit breaker box put in for connecting my portable generator.
    I have the option to run the poop pump off the generator.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Supposedly, the Elkhart County Fair is Indiana's biggest county fair.

Growing up just across the border in Edwardsburg, MI, I never went. I did, however, make my way down to main street in Goshen for cruising in the '80s....which had a robustly heterosexual meaning back then.
    Judging by the size of the filled up parking areas there, that makes sense.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    @actaeon277 - thanks for the info. Don't know the details of what they want to put in. They are in the survey stage for the first areas, which includes where we live. I've got to wait and stay informed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom