Doug28450

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Hobart
    ?
    Which, when, where, why
    Summer of 1987. We were on deployment in Keflavik, Iceland. An arrangement was made for a Pilot, Tacco and two acoustic operators to go on the sub and four of their crew to fly on the P-3. We flew a P-3 to Glasgow, dropped the four of us and picked up the four bubbleheads. The P-3 took them to Kef and we went to Holy Loch to get on the sub. It was a Boomer, but I don't recall which one. We then spent a few days working with each other so that each crew had an idea of what is seen from the others perspective.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Congrats to Act, that was quite a run.

Anyhoo, completely different subject- mildly annoyed.

So, my daughter, recent college graduate, is looking to buy a car. She is buying it, but she wants some help looking and knowing what is a sound car.

On to the annoyance- I spotted a car that fit the bill advertised by a local dealership online. Basic car, but pictures looked decent and the miles are very low for the year (2008 model, under 60k). The car has been on the website for at least several days. My job is research and then basic inspection. The business end is all on her.

She called the dealership yesterday. "Yes, it's still here". "Sure you can come down and look at it." She then made an appointment for 5:30p. I met her there (it's in Merrillville, I was coming from Hammond).

Yes. It's there- the interior has not been cleaned up yet, nor has it gone through their safety inspection, so they can't let it be test driven....but they will take a $500 deposit if we're interested.

Um...BS. I know what its like to by a vehicle in 2022 (I just did myself), but no test drive, but they want a deposit. I told my daughter that I would prefer she "took her chances" and if someone else gets it, she can keep looking.

She is still interested in it, but she had 3 telephone calls with them and exchanged e-mails and she made a specific appointment. Not a word about it not really being ready to be seriously considered yet. I get that you want to get people to your property, but this is not the path to build trust.

Unfortunately, from what we were able to see (we could listen, but not drive), and given the miles and the price, it's still in the running and could turn out to be a good car for her, but this was a serious time waster and does not put this dealership at the top of my list.

This is the second car we have looked at where the dealer left out information it would have been nice to have. I wouldn't call them dishonest (maybe because of my low standards given my profession), but it is annoying.
    Car shopping takes up a ridiculous amount of time. I get it, it's a big investment. Still crazy amount of time. Fortunately we're good for a number of years now. Good luck to your daughter!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Car shopping takes up a ridiculous amount of time. I get it, it's a big investment. Still crazy amount of time. Fortunately we're good for a number of years now. Good luck to your daughter!
    I will not have had 1/2 the time in buying my very much more expensive Ram 1500 4x4 that we will have in buying her little runabout. Honestly, though, buying barely used trucks with plenty of warranty is much simpler.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I will not have had 1/2 the time in buying my very much more expensive Ram 1500 4x4 that we will have in buying her little runabout. Honestly, though, buying barely used trucks with plenty of warranty is much simpler.

Used cars and trucks are like gold right now. I had to stop in at the Subaru dealer a few months back: thought I was going to get mugged by the salesman, wanting to know if I was there to trade my '21 Outback in. Mine is the turbo model, and I guess they're going for big markups right now.

Also, I think the dealers are frantic right now, just for any stock to sell. Sad state of affairs.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Used cars and trucks are like gold right now. ....
    Used prices are actually starting to drop. They were gold a few months ago. But just like house values are finally dropping, so are used car prices. New 'big ticket' item prices are going to start dropping too, Target, Best Buy, etc are all sitting on excess inventory of things like major appliances, patio sets and larger TVs. Warehouse inventories are full and there are a bunch of container ships heading to our ports with orders that had been delayed. So just as we start a recession we will have products on sale but many still will not be able to afford them.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The :pimp: pink man & his thugettes should prepare for a disruption in the force.

I :mullet: will be in Thugland on Saturday.

Just so I fit into the culture, I'll do my best to pee on a wall outside of a tavern, hold my gun sideways while shooting indescriminately and flash a fake gold tooth. Anything I can do to make Jedi proud.

Visiting the location of a recent high school graduation shooting. . . better known as the Gary Southshore Railcats stadium. Game time is 4pm. Front row seats at 1st base. $14. Can't find a better deal in cheap family entertainment, especially when a 2 year old doesn't know the difference between the RailCats and the Cubs.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Well, when you're getting depth charged... you take your chances.

Also, you had warnings, such as when they ALWAYS show the ricochet of hull rivet.
    With welded hulls, not so much.

And the depth they went to, compared to today...
    They say when the Thresher (or was it the Scorpion?) went down, it took less than a second to completely fill the sub. It was tenths of a second.

Okay.. did I ruin your joke enough?
    :)

If not, I could say that, the submarine service is called the "Silent Service", not because we talk less ( :) ) but because in WWII the Japanese would set their depth charges at various depths they knew we could operate. When we went deeper, we evaded them. TILL a Senator told his constituents not to worry, because the Japs weren't setting their depth charges deep enough, and then the Japs started setting them deeper.
    Politicians inhale breath quickly.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    So I may have overdone it and ****ed up my back. We sold a lot of big stuff today, so I went back to the shed to find something else to sell. I dragged an extension ladder, a table saw, and a big metal cabinet out to the front, and dug out the wheelbarrow from under a bunch of stuff and brought it too.

I iced my back and took a muscle relaxer. Fingers crossed that it feels better in the morning and not worse.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    So I may have overdone it and ****ed up my back. We sold a lot of big stuff today, so I went back to the shed to find something else to sell. I dragged an extension ladder, a table saw, and a big metal cabinet out to the front, and dug out the wheelbarrow from under a bunch of stuff and brought it too.

I iced my back and took a muscle relaxer. Fingers crossed that it feels better in the morning and not worse.

1654813231813.png

That also applies to women.

I say, with my bad back, working on a fallen tree.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom