NWI INGO General Post - Part 21 - We can offically drink da moonshine!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Good.

Cats should not be allowed to roam outside. They need to be eliminated as they have no natural place in our ecosystem and kill the native songbirds. Last thing I want to see in the woods or on my land is a freakin house cat, porch cat, stray cat or feral cat.

Keep those damn things inside! An outside cat is a nuisance, an inside cat is a pet/companion.

:ranton:
    Except on a farm, I agree completely.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Except on a farm, I agree completely.
    Define the size of that farm.

Cats roam. Cats breed. Even on a farm the outdoor cats should be 'fixed' so they can't breed. If the barn is near any woodlands then those cats are going to be gone, off killing the native wildlife.

If the barn/homestead is sitting in the middle of 150+ acres and the cats are fixed then I'd consider giving you a pass on outdoor cats.

Facts show that cats are a very destructive species. Read the facts, you will change your mind. Informed people don't let cats out.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Good morning peoples. Snap, before I replaced all my windows with better ones, I used that clear plastic window treatment that you tape to the trim and then shrink with a hair dryer. It worked pretty darn good, and you could see it on a cold windy day expanding and contracting with the Wind, so you could tell it was keeping the wind out.

I had thought about that. I am going to put some heavy clear marine vinyl on the kitchen window because we actually look out that one (but we don't open it because there is no screen and the crank is broken). We never open the blinds in the bedrooms anyway, so the comforters will be fine. Added bonus for me is that I might be able to sleep longer with all the light blocked out.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

Cats roam. Cats breed. Even on a farm the outdoor cats should be 'fixed' so they can't breed. If the barn is near any woodlands then those cats are going to be gone, off killing the native wildlife.

If the barn/homestead is sitting in the middle of 150+ acres and the cats are fixed then I'd consider giving you a pass on outdoor cats.

Facts show that cats are a very destructive species. Read the facts, you will change your mind. Informed people don't let cats out.

Why do you hate tacos?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    52319813_2196611650555975_7396531495914962944_n.jpg

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

What you need is a good Chinese restaurant.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Why do you hate tacos?

As house pets I actually very much like cats.

And the fact that, in hard times, they make for a good stir fry or enchilada is just a bonus. What I don't like is the destruction that I have seen them cause and that they do to natural habitat. They literally cost states billions of dollars. Just keep them inside.

People are simply ignorant of the amount of damage cats do.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    As house pets I actually very much like cats.

And the fact that, in hard times, they make for a good stir fry or enchilada is just a bonus. What I don't like is the destruction that I have seen them cause and that they do to natural habitat. They literally cost states billions of dollars. Just keep them inside.

People are simply ignorant of the amount of damage cats do.

At our Southern properties, we prefer quail to cat, so the feral cats tend to go to cat heaven.

Speaking of quail, has anybody seen a quail in Indiana lately?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    At our Southern properties, we prefer quail to cat, so the feral cats tend to go to cat heaven.

Speaking of quail, has anybody seen a quail in Indiana lately?

I used to have bluebirds, quail, pheasant and woodcock on my property. Now I don't see any of those species here. The cats eliminated them 20 years ago and they have not returned.

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    They haven't returned because they're dead.
    Not sure if I started this with the mention of a cat being gone or melensdad with the good riddins, but on a lighter note. Wire that came down with ice ball from truck was for the wheel well side markers, all fixed. Also added something else in basement from previous Convo.

Attachments

• IMG_20220212_100253063~2.jpg
      IMG_20220212_100253063~2.jpg
      280 KB · Views: 10

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Down to 20. We took in a rescue great Pyrenees who was and is a chicken eater, so no. Dogs are out all morning and then again after dark when chickens go back back in. One bloodhound will occasionally be out with birds but the other one has learned from the rescue and I haven't tried to correct cause we're on the schedule anyway. The birds have a small fenced in area outside of their roosting area also.
    Wrong breed. The Maremmas we have guard chickens all the time(not ours).

Here's an example

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    Those were great. There is also something to say for bringing them together from puppy age. Our rescue was a stray we had adopted when we were fostering. So she had been raising hell killing everything to survive down south, but the wife wanted her. She is a good dog otherwise.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Those were great. There is also something to say for bringing them together from puppy age. Our rescue was a stray we had adopted when we were fostering. So she had been raising hell killing everything to survive down south, but the wife wanted her. She is a good dog otherwise.
    It is mostly a necessity. Our dogs have lived their whole lives with goats. They bond with them and will protect them with their lives.

Maremmas also don't like to wander like Pyrs do.

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    Bloodhounds are the real wanderers. Our have been good though, a good area out back with the "invisible" fence woven though welded wire actual fence.
    I'm going to have to be on the lookout for a fox tonight. Would love to have the trifecta, with the raccoon, opossum and fox all within 24hrs. No catch and release there though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom