NWI INGO General Post - Part 21 - We can offically drink da moonshine!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Good morning everyone,

Is anyone doing anything exciting this weekend besides Superbowl parties?
    I'll be at Purdue in West Lafayette coaching their Saber Fencing team all day Sunday. Taking down some of my high school Junior Olympic kids to work the Purdue team.

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    Yote or car. Those are the two biggest causes of cats disappearing around here.

I wish our cats would do a better job on the barn swallows. I keep hearing about how cats kill everything in sight. Out here anyway, they don't do a very good job. Even with barn cats we have rabbits, mice, moles, opossums, and who knows what else on our property. Mine must be inferior specimens.
    Not sure what, but a few blood drops and small amount of his fur behind barn. In front driveway there was more blood and looked like the fur of maybe a feral/not my cat and then tracks in the deep snow going across front yard to street. Nothing on camera, but tracks showed up on camera about 2a.m.. no big blood kill site. So thinking possibly a bad fight with cat and curled up under somewhere and died or picked up by a yote. Not sure if a fox would mess with him, but had a good size one about a month ago near coop in back? Yeah, I don't see mine bird hunting that much. Careful what you wish for, barn swallows are good mosquito eaters. Maybe they're a bigger problem for you though, mine just have neat above a couple light fixtures and fly all around me when I mow...

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Nothing exciting here. The bedrooms in this house are crazy cold, so I'm going to cut up a couple of king sized comforters and double up the pieces to put in the windows. Found some really nice king size comforters on Amazon for $17 something a piece.

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    Unless your porch cats are fixed and on a large piece of property 50+ acres, they are not actually your pets. Cats roam a lot farther away than most people realize. A cat will easily travel a half mile or more away from its porch.

Most states consider an uncollared cat to be the property of the owner of the land upon which it is found. We had a "neighbor a 1/2 mile down the road with porch cats, some eventually went feral. That was 20 years ago. The cats were all over our woods and all the surrounding properties, killed our woodcocks, pheasants, songbirds, rabbits, etc. They were aggressive toward the kids in the area. It took YEARS to get rid of those damn cats.

They couldn't complain when one of their cats was found on another neighbor's property and dispatched; they didn't actually own the cats under law, but their roaming cats did a hell of a lot of damage.

And for whatever it is worth, I actually like cats. But anyone who has outdoor cats seriously needs to rethink their position because outdoor cats are dangerous to our lands.
    Mine are fixed for sure, annual and/or three year shots. Almost everytime I go out front I see them or if I call them they come? I bet they branch off to both neighbors, doubt they get too far though. Enjoy down at Purdue!

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    That snow and cold bring em out. Dogs giving a lot of attention to the coop this morning. Opossum walked into an unbaited live trap. Sure are ugly f'ers.

Attachments

• IMG_20220212_070748279~2.jpg
      IMG_20220212_070748279~2.jpg
      601.8 KB · Views: 3

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    Ugly as Jedi's HELLO KITTY doll collection, but more beneficial than a Hobart golf cart to our ecosystem!
    Yeah, the wife always talks about them eating tics and such, they haven't caused me any grief yet so released in the woods. Still no action at the coffee???

Attachments

• IMG_20220212_073611413~2.jpg
      IMG_20220212_073611413~2.jpg
      429.8 KB · Views: 4

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Good morning everyone,

Currently in Lafayette waiting for a robotics competition to start (my 12 y.o. is on her school team) while longingly surfing AR sale ads; it's all I can do since I shelled out several hundred dollars for new baseball and softball equipment last night. I actually had one in .223 Wylde along with a 350 legend upper (three of the kids have expressed an interest in deer hunting next fall) in my cart until all the kids started going through their stuff to see what still fit and was in good shape. It was fun while it lasted.

Tomorrow I'm up early to cook three turkeys and two hams for a celebration of life luncheon for my wife's uncle (he died a few weeks ago and tomorrow would have been his birthday), then will whip up a nacho bar and wings for the game. Monday I am off but have a dental appointment. My weekend is a bit full.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Good morning everyone,

By no means exciting, bit we are celebrating Valentine's Day early by eating at Farmhouse. We're also making it a field trip for the kid at Fair Oaks. They are pretty accommodating that when we show up for the experience, they will tailor it around our lunch reservations.

(We have always celebrated Valentine's Day the day before because there are no crowds and waits dining out. Learned that lesson one year with a reservation that was seated 2 hours later. This year with the Super Bowl party tomorrow, today was appropriate.)

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    By no means exciting, bit we are celebrating Valentine's Day early by eating at Farmhouse. We're also making it a field trip for the kid at Fair Oaks. They are pretty accommodating that when we show up for the experience, they will tailor it around our lunch reservations.

(We have always celebrated Valentine's Day the day before because there are no crowds and waits dining out. Learned that lesson one year with a reservation that was seated 2 hours later. This year with the Super Bowl party tomorrow, today was appropriate.)
    Now you just need to buy the Valentine flowers and candy one day late? Save bookoo $$$. Lol

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Not sure what, but a few blood drops and small amount of his fur behind barn. In front driveway there was more blood and looked like the fur of maybe a feral/not my cat and then tracks in the deep snow going across front yard to street. Nothing on camera, but tracks showed up on camera about 2a.m.. no big blood kill site. So thinking possibly a bad fight with cat and curled up under somewhere and died or picked up by a yote. Not sure if a fox would mess with him, but had a good size one about a month ago near coop in back? Yeah, I don't see mine bird hunting that much. Careful what you wish for, barn swallows are good mosquito eaters. Maybe they're a bigger problem for you though, mine just have neat above a couple light fixtures and fly all around me when I mow...
    We looked to have lost one to a raptor last year. I found what was left in the field being picked over by about five hawks.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In

Having our Valentine's dinner eating out tonight also as I will be on the road next week for work in Nashville.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Nothing exciting here. The bedrooms in this house are crazy cold, so I'm going to cut up a couple of king sized comforters and double up the pieces to put in the windows. Found some really nice king size comforters on Amazon for $17 something a piece.

Good morning peoples. Snap, before I replaced all my windows with better ones, I used that clear plastic window treatment that you tape to the trim and then shrink with a hair dryer. It worked pretty darn good, and you could see it on a cold windy day expanding and contracting with the Wind, so you could tell it was keeping the wind out.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Good morning peoples. Snap, before I replaced all my windows with better ones, I used that clear plastic window treatment that you tape to the trim and then shrink with a hair dryer. It worked pretty darn good, and you could see it on a cold windy day expanding and contracting with the Wind, so you could tell it was keeping the wind out.

I used that stuff when I was younger with the same results. You could feel the air coming through before, but not after it was installed

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Currently in Lafayette waiting for a robotics competition to start (my 12 y.o. is on her school team) while longingly surfing AR sale ads; it's all I can do since I shelled out several hundred dollars for new baseball and softball equipment last night. I actually had one in .223 Wylde along with a 350 legend upper (three of the kids have expressed an interest in deer hunting next fall) in my cart until all the kids started going through their stuff to see what still fit and was in good shape. It was fun while it lasted.

Tomorrow I'm up early to cook three turkeys and two hams for a celebration of life luncheon for my wife's uncle (he died a few weeks ago and tomorrow would have been his birthday), then will whip up a nacho bar and wings for the game. Monday I am off but have a dental appointment. My weekend is a bit full.

Three turkeys and two hams makes for a big luncheon. Where is said luncheon, and what time would that be? :)

Open bar?

. :@ya:

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    How many do you have?

Do you have a dog to protect them?
    Down to 20. We took in a rescue great Pyrenees who was and is a chicken eater, so no. Dogs are out all morning and then again after dark when chickens go back back in. One bloodhound will occasionally be out with birds but the other one has learned from the rescue and I haven't tried to correct cause we're on the schedule anyway. The birds have a small fenced in area outside of their roosting area also.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom