NWI INGO General Post Part 20 - Raccons 4 Life!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Believe me, it's rare. I don't actually remember the last time it happened. I'm usually somewhere between 4 and 5 hours. If it makes you feel any better, I woke up with a hell of a backache.

Remember when you were young. and hurt because something actually had to happen to you?
    And now., sleeping hurts

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and expose my stupidity. Also a warning for everyone:

Self-Cleaning Ovens - Don't do it!

Happened Saturday. We'd been getting a little smoke from an overflow of turkey juice from cooking the turkey on Thursday. Wife told me she's gonna self-clean. A little red flag popped into my head when she said it, but I got distracted and forgot about it ... till the smoke alarm went off upstairs. I was downstairs.

By the time I get upstairs, there's flame in the oven, with noxious fumes boiling out of it - house full of black smoke. Turn oven off - Grab fire extinguisher - can't open oven door! It's locked for your safety. Man handle door enough to get extinguisher nozzle in, and it puts it out.

When I was fighting to get the door open, smoke was getting thick enough that I almost had to call it quits and dial 911. I would have lost everything if it had escaped the oven, which maybe it can't, but I was pretty much in panic mode.

Bottom line, don't self-clean oven after 20 years of accumulated **** is in it. I knew better, but didn't listen to my own instinct.

View attachment 169743

So does this mean no NWI INGO Turkey dinner for us?

Taking us all the the Chinese buffet is going be expensive for you.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Oh God, not the Chinese Buffet. Never again. I have gotten a really bad stomach ache the last two times I ate Chinese-- once at a buffet and once takeout. I think I am developing a sensitivity to MSG.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Yeah, and if you let things accumulate a little, make sure it's a time of the year that you can open windows.
    About 10 years ago, my wife tried a new turkey recipe on Thanksgiving. As directed, she coated the bird in olive oil but apparently it was the wrong kind or too much or both. It began to splatter in the oven and then smoked like crazy when it hit the interior surfaces. It set off the smoke detector linked to the security system and the Fire Department ended up at our front door. Took us an hour to clear the smoke from the house with the windows open on a nice chilly day.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    About 10 years ago, my wife tried a new turkey recipe on Thanksgiving. As directed, she coated the bird in olive oil but apparently it was the wrong kind or too much or both. It began to splatter in the oven and then smoked like crazy when it hit the interior surfaces. It set off the smoke detector linked to the security system and the Fire Department ended up at our front door. Took us an hour to clear the smoke from the house with the windows open on a nice chilly day.
    With my first wife, when the smoke detector went off, dinner was ready…

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Is anyone traveling to the Indy area any time soon? If so, and you don't mind meeting someone and playing mule for me, please let me know.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom