NWI INGO General Post Part 20 - Raccons 4 Life!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I've never browned the giblets before putting them in the stock. I may try it, along with the neck and whatever else I put in. I cut off the "butt" of the turkey and the tip sections of the wings and put them in the stock also, along with a bit of onion (and carrot if I have any). I also cut the neck and the wing tips into smaller pieces before I put them in, so more of the goodness will be released from the bones. Then I just strain really well before I make the gravy.

Pro tip: I don't really like to use much bullion, but Knorr chicken bullion in the cubes is the best I have ever tasted. It has a more complex flavor than most bullions that just taste like salt and chicken flavor.
    It's nice that you have the knowledge and take the time to do it the old school way. My Mom always made her gravy in a similar manner. Nowadays, we just use gravy from a jar.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    It's nice that you have the knowledge and take the time to do it the old school way. My Mom always made her gravy in a similar manner. Nowadays, we just use gravy from a jar.
    I will cut some corners, but not on gravy. I use canned yams and box mashed potatoes, because when doctored up, they taste the same with less trouble.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Since it's just me and Mom, I get the smallest turkey I can find. I'm thawing a 10-pounder that we got on sale last year. Couldn't find any small ones this year, but didn't look very hard since we still had two small turkeys and several chickens in the freezer that needed to be used.

qwerty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    I tried the Better than Bullion once and didn't really like it. It had an off-taste to me. I prefer the Knorr cubes. They are soft and have some fat in them, so they are easy to smash with your fingers and mix in. Knorr used to make the cubes in beef and in vegetable broth flavors, but I can't find them any more.
    Next time you are near Cedar Lake, check LaGaviota Super Mercado.

Doug28450

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Hobart
    I'm going to deep fry a turkey this year: it will be my first time. Hope it tastes as good as I've been told
    Several years ago we were at my mom and dad's for Thanksgiving. We were watching tv and enjoying the family. We observed that the fellow across was having a big get together. They put a turkey in a deep fryer and the boys started drinking beer. After about 3 hours in the pot, they decided to check the progress of the turkey. The creature they pulled out of the deep fryer was as black as charcoal.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Several years ago we were at my mom and dad's for Thanksgiving. We were watching tv and enjoying the family. We observed that the fellow across was having a big get together. They put a turkey in a deep fryer and the boys started drinking beer. After about 3 hours in the pot, they decided to check the progress of the turkey. The creature they pulled out of the deep fryer was as black as charcoal.
    I never fried a turkey but doesn't it normally take an hour or less?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom