NWI INGO General Post Part 18 - Legal now!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I want to remind everyone that the way things are now anything can happen, anywhere, anytime. We need to stay aware and in control all the time, especially those of us who carry.

I failed to stay under control a week ago and the consequences could have been terrible. For my retirement job I work the counter at a liquor store. (It's a great job, we sell a lot of top shelf booze and part of the job is to sample with customers who buy the good stuff and help the owner make barrel picks to buy for the store.) But I let a rude and verbally abusive customer who apparently didn't expect any pushback from an old white guy provoke me. I lost my temper and responded, loudly, in kind but without the racial language the jerk was using. Fortunately the owner (and my good friend) heard me teeing off on the jerk and ran up to the front. He's never seen me lose my temper before, it ain't pretty. He tried to calm me down and de-escalate the situation. I got control of myself and backed away two steps behind a counter display where the jerk and his buddy couldn't see me but where I had my friend's back if they came over or around the counter. Despite the owner's efforts to calm them they were escalating, making all kinds of threats of coming back with a posse, protesting, etc., and you can just imagine what they were saying about me. I took the retention strap off the hammer of my revolver and put my hand on the grip to be ready. I'm not sure the customers even knew I was carrying, I open carry but I carry on my right hip and was standing on an elevated platform behind the counter. In any case at this point I was behind the display so they couldn't see what I was doing. Finally he got them out of the store. I don't remember seeing the jerk or his companion before but the owner recognized the him. He drives a delivery truck for a furniture store and has stopped in before on his way back from making a delivery.

It's been a long, long time since I had that much adrenalin flowing. It's not a pleasant experience.

About 45 minutes later they tried to gaslight us, someone speaking with the same dialect called and asked how late we were open, where we were located and then, ominously, displayed a total unfamiliarity with local highways and roads. Caller id had a Chicago phone number. The jerk also made his purchase using Apple Pay so we can id him if it becomes necessary. I called the police and made a report.

No problems since, thank God. But we've made some changes to how we operate and put in an upgraded camera system.

This thing could have gone sideways in a hurry and I'm pretty disappointed in myself for losing my temper. I CCd for many, many years, open carry all the time now and I've had to tolerate verbal abuse a number of times while concealed carrying because I know better than to escalate a situation. If I had been required to use my weapon to defend myself or the owner the consequences would have been terrible for me, for the owner, for my whole town. (Not good for the bad guys, either.)

So don't make the mistake I made. I'm pretty sure after this stupid move I will have a disciplined response to provocation going forward.

And here I am waiting for you to say you were the guy at the Vietnam/Korean War Memorial.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    How come whenever a women publish a recipe online they have to preface it with a ****ing story about their childhood. IDGAF *****, just tell me how to food.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I want to remind everyone that the way things are now anything can happen, anywhere, anytime. We need to stay aware and in control all the time, especially those of us who carry.

I failed to stay under control a week ago and the consequences could have been terrible. For my retirement job I work the counter at a liquor store. (It's a great job, we sell a lot of top shelf booze and part of the job is to sample with customers who buy the good stuff and help the owner make barrel picks to buy for the store.) But I let a rude and verbally abusive customer who apparently didn't expect any pushback from an old white guy provoke me. I lost my temper and responded, loudly, in kind but without the racial language the jerk was using. Fortunately the owner (and my good friend) heard me teeing off on the jerk and ran up to the front. He's never seen me lose my temper before, it ain't pretty. He tried to calm me down and de-escalate the situation. I got control of myself and backed away two steps behind a counter display where the jerk and his buddy couldn't see me but where I had my friend's back if they came over or around the counter. Despite the owner's efforts to calm them they were escalating, making all kinds of threats of coming back with a posse, protesting, etc., and you can just imagine what they were saying about me. I took the retention strap off the hammer of my revolver and put my hand on the grip to be ready. I'm not sure the customers even knew I was carrying, I open carry but I carry on my right hip and was standing on an elevated platform behind the counter. In any case at this point I was behind the display so they couldn't see what I was doing. Finally he got them out of the store. I don't remember seeing the jerk or his companion before but the owner recognized the him. He drives a delivery truck for a furniture store and has stopped in before on his way back from making a delivery.

It's been a long, long time since I had that much adrenalin flowing. It's not a pleasant experience.

About 45 minutes later they tried to gaslight us, someone speaking with the same dialect called and asked how late we were open, where we were located and then, ominously, displayed a total unfamiliarity with local highways and roads. Caller id had a Chicago phone number. The jerk also made his purchase using Apple Pay so we can id him if it becomes necessary. I called the police and made a report.

No problems since, thank God. But we've made some changes to how we operate and put in an upgraded camera system.

This thing could have gone sideways in a hurry and I'm pretty disappointed in myself for losing my temper. I CCd for many, many years, open carry all the time now and I've had to tolerate verbal abuse a number of times while concealed carrying because I know better than to escalate a situation. If I had been required to use my weapon to defend myself or the owner the consequences would have been terrible for me, for the owner, for my whole town. (Not good for the bad guys, either.)

So don't make the mistake I made. I'm pretty sure after this stupid move I will have a disciplined response to provocation going forward.
    Sometimes it just happens dealing with rude customers. I've raised my voice really once and it caught a lot of attention because usually I'm better at dealing but it had been just something. Fortunately armed coworkers were called and someone else dealt with the situation. Sometimes we get that raw nerve or someone dials the right combination of pushing buttons.
    It's been said numerous times, the cops might need more training but our society really needs it way more, so many don't know how to interact with others. Tons of stories on those, people talking more and more about customer service horror stories and millions of hours of dash and body cameras from police interactions. People not raising their kids and expecting the government and everyone else but themselves to do it.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    How come whenever a women publish a recipe online they have to preface it with a ****ing story about their childhood. IDGAF *****, just tell me how to food.

HELP IS AVAILABLE

SPEAK TO A COUNCILLOR TODAY

NATIONAL SUICIDE HELPLINE

1-800-273-8255

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Got the Shingles vaccine on Monday morning. I have had all the common side-effects/reactions to the drug listed on the internet.

Seriously, passing a kidney stone is less painful than this vaccine. Every muscle in my body hurts, alternating between shivering and sweating, loss of appetite and nausea. Its now Wednesday morning and I can barely lift a coffee cup to my mouth. Spent the entire day in bed on Tuesday, spent most of Monday in bed/on the couch. Today will probably be mostly in bed, but I am feeling slightly better.

Just a bit of general advice, if your doctor advocates the Shingles vaccine just administer a quick Throat Punch to your doctor and ask her/him if they still recommend this vaccine. Repeat Throat Punching your doctor until they decide that the vaccine is a bad idea.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Got the Shingles vaccine on Monday morning. I have had all the common side-effects/reactions to the drug listed on the internet.

Seriously, passing a kidney stone is less painful than this vaccine. Every muscle in my body hurts, alternating between shivering and sweating, loss of appetite and nausea. Its now Wednesday morning and I can barely lift a coffee cup to my mouth. Spent the entire day in bed on Tuesday, spent most of Monday in bed/on the couch. Today will probably be mostly in bed, but I am feeling slightly better.

Just a bit of general advice, if your doctor advocates the Shingles vaccine just administer a quick Throat Punch to your doctor and ask her/him if they still recommend this vaccine. Repeat Throat Punching your doctor until they decide that the vaccine is a bad idea.
    Sorry you're feeling so crappy. I've never had the vaccine, but I have had shingles within the past ten years. Is it only for people who have not had shingles or chicken pox?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Do u need some raccoons to help u out?
    :p

Why did u agree 2 it!!!

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I understand it is for everyone. If you have had chicken pox the virus is in you and you have a chance of getting shingles.

I am due to get one this year, but am reconsidering it now.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Apparently roughly 15% of the people who get the vaccine are temporarily disabled And unable to function normally for 2-4 days. Guess I’m one of the gold ticket winners.

I still recommend throat punching the doctor.

I’m flat on my back, muscle pain everywhere from fingers to feet. Fever, sweats, freezing, shivers, headache, muscle/joint pain, injection site swelling and bruising (and very sore). Calling this miserable is a dramatic understatement.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Apparently roughly 15% of the people who get the vaccine are temporarily disabled And unable to function normally for 2-4 days. Guess I’m one of the gold ticket winners.

I still recommend throat punching the doctor.

I’m flat on my back, muscle pain everywhere from fingers to feet. Fever, sweats, freezing, shivers, headache, muscle/joint pain, injection site swelling and bruising (and very sore). Calling this miserable is a dramatic understatement.

OUCH! You're the first person I ever heard of that had a bad reaction. I'm pushing 60, so had been considering it as it runs in my family, but I don't know if I'll be in such a hurry now.

Hope you feel better soon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom