Not open for further replies.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    meh!!!
    they all need to be like texas. 85mph on highwway 130.
    or better yet le autoban in germany. NO LIMIT!
    I wish. The problem is, people in the US are too stupid for that. People in Germany follow the rules of the road on highways. You seldom see some idiot planted in the left lane. In the time I was there I saw one, an American.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The only time I was on the Autobon, was in a jeep. An Army jeep has a top speed of about 60.

We were in the right lane and a German pulled up along side of us and was shouting "Feuer! Feuer!" at us. None of us spoke German, so we were all asking, "What!". The man kept shouting "Feuer! Feuer!" and pointing at the jeep, so we pulled over to examine the jeep and found that the driver had missed a block of "honeycomb" between the drive shaft and the underside of the body. At normal speeds it would have just worn down and fallen out (non) eventually, however, at the sustained higher rate of speed it had ignited from friction.

We had jumped in with full combat load, including heavy drop of all of our vehicles. Honey comb is 2" thick cardboard that is used to fill in spaces that could be bent upon impact.

I jumped out on the shoulder side. When I saw the fire I grabbed the fire extinguisher and shot it at the flame, not realizing that the LT had gotten down on the traffic side and was trying to dislodge the cardboard with his foot. He was mot happy that I had discharged the fire extinguisher. Even less so that it had hit him in the face.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Nice.

While I was there I took full advantage of the opportunity to drive crazy fast legally. My BMW Wagon rental car maxed out a little over 230KPH. Things go by really quickly at 145MPH.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The only time I was on the Autobon, was in a jeep. An Army jeep has a top speed of about 60.

We were in the right lane and a German pulled up along side of us and was shouting "Feuer! Feuer!" at us. None of us spoke German, so we were all asking, "What!". The man kept shouting "Feuer! Feuer!" and pointing at the jeep, so we pulled over to examine the jeep and found that the driver had missed a block of "honeycomb" between the drive shaft and the underside of the body. At normal speeds it would have just worn down and fallen out (non) eventually, however, at the sustained higher rate of speed it had ignited from friction.

We had jumped in with full combat load, including heavy drop of all of our vehicles. Honey comb is 2" thick cardboard that is used to fill in spaces that could be bent upon impact.

I jumped out on the shoulder side. When I saw the fire I grabbed the fire extinguisher and shot it at the flame, not realizing that the LT had gotten down on the traffic side and was trying to dislodge the cardboard with his foot. He was mot happy that I had discharged the fire extinguisher. Even less so that it had hit him in the face.

and that is when you got demoted to private gump right?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Spent the weekend going out to Grand Island,NE and back in two days to switch out vehicles with 1300 miles under my belt. Up to Chiraq today for a delivery in Jedi's second hometown. Have to say Nebraska has it right with the highway speed limit at 75 mph.

Sounds like too much work.
    I used to be able to drive 20 hours at a time.
    Now, 3 to 5 hours and I'm over done.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Sounds like a good story for the military story thread.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Hope you have a great trip melensdad.
    About 2005 maybe, we bundled up and flew from Houston into San Francisco. Did the tourista routine for a couple three days, yelled Ricearoni bailing out of cable cars without a parachute, caught a performance of Carmina Burana, then did B&B's all the way up the coast highway. It was a nice trip to the weird town and beautiful points north. Years before I'd stayed in either El Cajon or LA or later in Berkley for some isotope processing equipment but I never got to enjoy anything more than flopping down in an airliner. Taking time to see SF made for a fine time!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom