• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Yzerman19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    NWI
    Let me know if you'd rather get this coming this coming Wednesday at 5pm. I can do a tour and you "must" shoot a box of 25 on my treat with my shotty. I am not stepping on d.'s toes and he knows this and appreciates this.
    That works for me too! Lol I would greatly appreciate you letting me shoot. I would be more than happy to pay for a box of ammo as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    That works for me too! Lol I would greatly appreciate you letting me shoot. I would be more than happy to pay for a box of ammo as well.

Well, you're one away from PM's, so Pm us both of us to communicate and we can accommodate. Happy to help.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Let me know if you'd rather get this coming Wednesday at 5pm. I can do a tour and you "must" shoot a box of 25 on my treat with my shotty. I am not stepping on d.'s toes and he knows this and appreciates this.

No problems there! Either way, introducing a potential new member is a good thing. Can i come and shoot a box of 25 on your dime as well just kidding

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Especially if you are relying one shot and optics to feed yourself or get a trophy. Consider: How many scopes will you buy in 10 years?

Listen, Vortex makes three kinds of scopes. Great scopes(Razors), very good scopes (Vipers), and garbage scopes (everything else). If you are going to get cheap Asian scopes, at least get a decent cheap Asian scope and get a Primary Arms ACSS HUD DMR. Link below. I too was once seduced by garbage glass. I put a Vortex Crossfire 2.5-10 scope on my Ruger M77/357. Would not hold a zero for anything. Sent it in, got it back, still would not hold a zero. Now it sits on an old savage 22, and finally will hold a zero.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary...pe-acss-hud-dmr-308-223-reticle-pa4-14xffp308

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Listen, Vortex makes three kinds of scopes. Great scopes(Razors), very good scopes (Vipers), and garbage scopes (everything else). If you are going to get cheap Asian scopes, at least get a decent cheap Asian scope and get a Primary Arms ACSS HUD DMR. Link below. I too was once seduced by garbage glass. I put a Vortex Crossfire 2.5-10 scope on my Ruger M77/357. Would not hold a zero for anything. Sent it in, got it back, still would not hold a zero. Now it sits on an old savage 22, and finally will hold a zero.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary...pe-acss-hud-dmr-308-223-reticle-pa4-14xffp308

I think just like anything you buy anymore you can get a good one or you can get a pos. Ive got the crossfire 2 mentioned in one of my previous posts on my ar 10. Probably close to 500 rounds thru with that scope and haven't had a single issue.
    I work on cars for a living and when i worked for the dealerships it was amazing how most (90%) of the cars that would come in for warranty work under the factory warranty were built on either a Monday or a Friday. Apparently Monday everyone hated to go and Friday Every one couldn't wait to leave. I imagine this might hold true on anything manufactured at an assembly line.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Fair enough lol

After Falcon's advice, and reading up on .270 vs .308, I'm not seeing very many significant differences. The .270 appears to have a slightly flatter trajectory and bit better penetration while the .308 has a bit better stopping power. The .270 seems to be the better choice with 300+ yard shots which I will definitely not be taking lol

I think I might consider the .308 after all. Thanks again for the advice, guys.

A .308 is a wise choice. A .270 is good but to me it’s wiser to go with what you can use now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Glass is not where you skimp out on. Crossfires are nice in low recoil firearms like a 22 or a 223. Step it up for the 308. At least go with a Primary Arms. Glass is better than the low end Vortex scopes.

Exactly this. Got the best, don’t shy away from spending as much on the scope as the Rifle.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Thank you for the info!

Just a consideration on a rifle. Look into the Ruger Scout in .308. Comes with decent irons. Can mount a scope conventionally or forward. 10 Round DBM and you can buy additional DBMs in 3-10 round capacity to suit. It’s got swivels so you can add the essential shooting sling.

I’d recommend this strongly as s first Center Fire Rifle. Learn to shoot it without a scope, then add one when you can afford it (and have learned to shoot it well with irons).

I can also recommend a couple of good books to help you learn the principles of Rifle marksmanship.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    For jedi.
    [video=youtube;jWO2VRckVU4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWO2VRckVU4[/video]

duh.. true fans know she is not a cat.
    she is NOT even japanses! she is a british citizen living in japan. she was created by a japanese guy. and her first name is kitty. the "hello" part was in refernce to thw item she was firat sold on, a small coin purse.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    No problems there! Either way, introducing a potential new member is a good thing. Can i come and shoot a box of 25 on your dime as well  just kidding
    :laugh: My nickle tour probably leaves much to be desired.
    I actually am free next Wednesday based on family schedules, so I get to bust some clays.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Look at AA Optics refurbished Vortex scopes. You can get a great deal on scopes that way.

I would also highly recommend you reach out to Alan (42769vette on INGO) with questions on scopes. He will answer any and all questions you might have and will steer you towards the best scope for your use case, even if it is not one he sells.

Yzerman19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    NWI
    Just a consideration on a rifle. Look into the Ruger Scout in .308. Comes with decent irons. Can mount a scope conventionally or forward. 10 Round DBM and you can buy additional DBMs in 3-10 round capacity to suit. It’s got swivels so you can add the essential shooting sling.

I’d recommend this strongly as s first Center Fire Rifle. Learn to shoot it without a scope, then add one when you can afford it (and have learned to shoot it well with irons).

I can also recommend a couple of good books to help you learn the principles of Rifle marksmanship.

While I appreciate the suggestion, I dont have quite that much to drop on a rifle right now, unfortunately.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom