Not open for further replies.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The difference between the two is that one was dramatized and the other was narrated memoirs with pictures and military film footage.

I actually enjoy the feeling of awe and terror of the realities of war watching both. I would also put The War in there. For a liberal Ken Burns is pretty even handed in his depiction of the heroism of common men in unbelievable conditions. He obviously does not have the assets of Spielberg and Hanks.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I just read these reviews of at your link WD
    [FONT=&quot]“Eugene Sledge became more than a legend with his memoir, [/FONT]With The Old Breed. He became a chronicler, a historian, a storyteller who turns the extremes of the war in the Pacific—the terror, the camaraderie, the banal and the extraordinary—into terms we mortals can grasp.”—Tom Hanks

“In all the literature on the Second World War, there is not a more honest, realistic or moving memoir than Eugene Sledge’s. This is the real deal, the real war: unvarnished, brutal, without a shred of sentimentality or false patriotism, a profound primer on what it actually was like to be in that war. It is a classic that will outlive all the armchair generals’ safe accounts of—not the ‘good war’—but the worst war ever.”—Ken Burns

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I just read these reviews of at your link WD
    [FONT=&amp]“Eugene Sledge became more than a legend with his memoir, [/FONT]With The Old Breed. He became a chronicler, a historian, a storyteller who turns the extremes of the war in the Pacific—the terror, the camaraderie, the banal and the extraordinary—into terms we mortals can grasp.”—Tom Hanks

“In all the literature on the Second World War, there is not a more honest, realistic or moving memoir than Eugene Sledge’s. This is the real deal, the real war: unvarnished, brutal, without a shred of sentimentality or false patriotism, a profound primer on what it actually was like to be in that war. It is a classic that will outlive all the armchair generals’ safe accounts of—not the ‘good war’—but the worst war ever.”—Ken Burns
    It is a pretty good book. I have it in paperback with a bunch of others.
    They have made plenty of others into movies but we have been discussing series.

Yzerman19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    NWI
    Ok guys, so I am torn between letting clueless politicians dictate what I can and cannot hunt with, and getting the rifle I want, in the caliber I want and hoping that by the time I am confident enough to hunt with it, I will find someone that would be willing to let me hunt on their property.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Get the caliber you want as far as the rifle goes. You can always hunt public land with a shotgun if the rifle caliber you really want isnt allowed.
    Supposedly the allowing of some of the rifle rounds on private land is so they can do a study as to if they are safe. I.e. no one accidentally shoots other hunters, homes, etc. It is possible in the future these rounds could become legal on public lands as well. Maybe one day you'll get access to private land and will already be proficient with your choice.
    I have both a 308 and 6.5 grendel i would use if i had private land access for firearms. Every now and then a buddy that has access to some private land will ask if i wanna tag along. Not very often though since there are quite a few that already have access to it. Unfortunately the private land i have access to is within Hobart city limits, so all i can use is a bow or crossbow. Ive had good enough success with my crossbow for now(2 deer in last 3 years) I did have a 458 socom i built for using on public lands, but after the last few times i went out to Jasper Pulaski and had bad experiences with out of state hunters, i sold it and gave up on public land hunting. That being said, if i ever do go back (public land) Ill just dust off the old shotty and have at it.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Aside from the superior ballistics of the .270, Which will NEVER be needed in Indiana, do you have any other reason to buy a .270 over the same rifle chambered in .308?

.308 is much cheaper to feed than .270.

Yzerman19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    NWI
    Jedi
    I do not.

Kaufman
    Great advice, thank you!

Falcon
    No reason, just from what research I've done. I guess I haven't considered .308 much.

Yzerman19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    NWI
    Then you definitely need to buy 2...or 3, or 4...:D
    I bought 2 a couple weekends ago. :)
    Fair enough lol

After Falcon's advice, and reading up on .270 vs .308, I'm not seeing very many significant differences. The .270 appears to have a slightly flatter trajectory and bit better penetration while the .308 has a bit better stopping power. The .270 seems to be the better choice with 300+ yard shots which I will definitely not be taking lol

I think I might consider the .308 after all. Thanks again for the advice, guys.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    My 10-year-old goddaughter, her older brother, the mom (formerly not a gun fan), and the dad are excited to go shooting again (1st time ever was this summer for those who don't know) this weekend. My Dad, a family friend, and wife will also be there. Going to be a great time. I'm excited their showing an interest from the last time. I fully anticipate my goddaughter will run a brick herself...which is just fine by me. :) Let's ring that steel!

Yzerman19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    NWI
    so you have a side arm n shotty?
    Side arm, yes. Shotty, not yet.

I've been on the fence about getting shotgun or rifle next and have decided on a rifle after much deliberation. I do have a 10/22 for what that's worth.

Yzerman19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2017
    NWI
    My 10-year-old goddaughter, her older brother, the mom (formerly not a gun fan), and the dad are excited to go shooting again (1st time ever was this summer for those who don't know) this weekend. My Dad, a family friend, and wife will also be there. Going to be a great time. I'm excited their showing an interest from the last time. I fully anticipate my goddaughter will run a brick herself...which is just fine by me. :) Let's ring that steel!
    That's awesome dude, always a good time!

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    308 is a good round. There are some real good options on rifles as well. Ar platform or bolt action, the possibilities are pretty endless. I have 1 of each.
    Either way practice will dictate what distance of a shot you'll be comfortable with. Here in Indiana chances of taking a shot over 200 yards at a deer are not very high, at least up this way. 308 will do the job just fine.
    Depending on your budget there are some great bolt action options that will serve your purpose. Thompson Center Compass look real good on the low end. Can be had for under $300 if you find a sale. They guarantee sub moa at 100 yards with match grade ammo, and you do your part as well. Towards the higher end the Ruger precision seems to be a good rifle from reviews ive seen. Those can be had under 1k if tou catch a sale. Ive seen them as low as $850.
    I know you talked about a Remington 783 in a previous post. Thats what i have. Got mine used for $200 and swapped out the glass and am able to shoot about a 2 1/2" group at 200 yards with cheaper pmc bronze. I know i can tighten that group up with better ammo, but the results are plenty good enough to hit the vitals on a deer.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Side arm, yes. Shotty, not yet.

I've been on the fence about getting shotgun or rifle next and have decided on a rifle after much deliberation. I do have a 10/22 for what that's worth.

The object of having firearms is to get what you like and fits your hands. Horse trading firearms is another story. And you need to get a couple of boxes of holsters. :spend:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom