Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI

I like it. Its close enough that I'd utilize it for shopping but plenty far enough away from me that I won't have to deal with it on a regular basis.

Nothing. A big fat nothing.

It will be some nice competition for south lake mall area.
    Plus spur development of more residential further south.
    Jedi is old cause all jedi could think of was the negatives this will cause. More traffic, more people, store jedi does not need nor want, etc... :)
    I just hope they have the three lanes in each directions on I-65 done before that.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    That shopping center is a terrible idea. We were at 109th and 65 and the traffic was terrible and they were planning a shopping center there. We moved down to 231 and 65 for those reasons among others. Traffic is tolerable around here but does get rough at peak times. This development would make it that much worse and bring in a bunch of **** the town doesn’t need. Let’s keep it around the rt30 area and let Merrillville/Hobart deal with the ****.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    That shopping center is a terrible idea. We were at 109th and 65 and the traffic was terrible and they were planning a shopping center there. We moved down to 231 and 65 for those reasons among others. Traffic is tolerable around here but does get rough at peak times. This development would make it that much worse and bring in a bunch of **** the town doesn’t need. Let’s keep it around the rt30 area and let Merrillville/Hobart deal with the ****.
    You moved too close to it. Urban areas always creep ever outwards.

I just hope I am far enough out to make it through my lifetime before it hits near me.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

You need to move to Tere Haute to get away from the Lake County sprawl.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The shopping center idea is inevitable.

It will happen. Sooner or later.

This is a proposed outlet mall. Those malls are generally thriving in this era of failing retail store because they offer values and selection that cannot be typically found in department stores and traditional malls. The fact that they also throw in a movie theatre, bowling alley and a couple hotels makes this more of a "lifestyle" center which, again, is more likely to thrive longer into the future.

There is a reason I moved where I moved and after owning this land for 26+ years the urban sprawl is still NOWHERE close to me. Pick and choose wisely and you don't have to get stuck with this stuff in your back yard.

Traffic is hell up there, its getting worse.

LONE's point about 3 lanes each way is a good one, and given that this thing would take 2-3 years to pass & build it is very likely that the road will be wider before the ribbon cotton ceremony.

ACLARK is correct that the side roads there suck for traffic, with any luck some of those will be widened as part of the project with lights for traffic control too. BUT the reality that the politicians see is that there will be lots of tax revenue coming in from that land, many of the users will not be voters, so those people will create jobs for people who might actually be voters and the tax dollars can be used to buy off the voters. If someone lives in a surrounding neighborhood and doesn't like this they should move now, not later. It will get worse for them. Tax revenue is stronger than a pissed off neighborhood of voters.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The sign has been up for the outlet mall in CC Hills for like ten years.

There are signs up in other areas too.

None of those affect this development.

The county wants it. The city wants it. A developer apparently has the funds to build it and wants to build it.

The current land is zoned industrial but used for crops, so it is basically yielding nothing in terms of taxes to the county/city. A simple re-zone and its business and there is a $150-$250 Million dollar development sitting on top of that crop land that now generates all sort of taxes for the greedy politicians to fight over. The fact that the city/county are not offering TIFF or similar financing is even more appealing to the politicians who want to start spending the money they think they can glean off of this project.

My Omega 300 can got out of jail finally. Of course I don't have any subsonic 300 BLK yet, but that will be solved soon now.

SWEET

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yeah it is. It will pull double duty on the 300Blk and on my 6.5 Creedmoor bolt.

The rain and melted snow has my property looking like there is a stream running through it right now though, and the front pasture looks like a big patch of swamp. It is going to be a while before I can make it out back to use it.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Why ever not?

e60.jpg

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    It will be some nice competition for south lake mall area.
    Plus spur development of more residential further south.
    Jedi is old cause all jedi could think of was the negatives this will cause. More traffic, more people, store jedi does not need nor want, etc... :)
    I think this will be the final nail in the coffin for Southlake Mall.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom