• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Went to JP with my friend Aaron today with the express purpose of zeroing my new Nikon Prostaff scope on my Mossberg 500. 24 rounds of 3" magnum slugs later we finally had it 2" high at 25 yards. The worst problem we had was after about 12 rounds my shoulder was really starting to hurt and I was flinching about every other round.
    After we got that done we made a little noise with my Mosin. He loves it and now wants to buy one. We also shot his kel tec sub 2000 .40. It doesn't seem to like flat nose rounds very well as we had quite a few ftf with it. I liked shooting it but when I had the sights lined up with good head position the frames of my glasses were in the way. I had to move my head, changing my point of aim.
    We also put a couple of mags through his ak. That's all we had time for today, as I had school work to do.
    The last time I was at JP it was all chicken wire for the targets, now it seems to be half plywood and half chicken wire. Other than that the range hasn't changed.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Now how can I have pictures, when it doesn't get here till Tuesday?
    I meant, when you get it, get that baby installed for yourself and I have also be considering that company's products. :whip:

After we got that done we made a little noise with my Mosin. He loves it and now wants to buy one.
    If we wants one immediately, a few days ago there was a post-war Mosin (with a half a** cosmoline removal effort) at Cabela's for $250 I believe.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    Still waiting on a call from Blythe's in Valpo. I doubt it will ever come. I called to complain Sunday and was told Les himself would call me back. I was in there on Sunday and was arguing with an employee on how I'm surprised they don't have the new LCP in soon and that November is ridiculous considering other places are already selling it. He thought the fact that I said Ruger usually ships guns shortly after announcement was laughable... Literally. He laughed mockingly at me as I walked out the door... After he asked if I "had ever sold guns before?". He suggested I buy it online when I told him I could.. fine then I will LOL!

Got a couple guns there... never again. I'd post a review somewhere, but reviews have a habit of disappearing these days, when the owner doesn't like them.

*sigh* I really need to hit the range this weekend. I'm dying to shoot! :ar15:

I had a bad experience with **** ****** many years ago. Haven't stepped foot in a ******'s store since.

I had an antique Remington derringer stolen in a burglary. Soon became apparent the Hammond police weren't interested in working the burglary, even though it was a pretty significant one and obviously just the last one in string by the same perp. Burglar hit an office building; primary target was apparently a doctor's office but he hit everything else in the building, including my law office. (Turned out later the cops knew who it was but he was an informant, which was why the cops weren't interested in pinning the burglary on him.) But the derringer was a family heirloom. My father had been appointed to represent an indigent defendant many years before and the derringer was an exhibit in the trial. Back in those days attorneys often did those cases pro bono, and after the trial was concluded my father had asked for the gun in lieu of fees. I was determined to try to get it back.

I figured the perp would sit on it for a while until it cooled off, then try to sell it as it used obsolete, virtually unavailable .41 rimfire ammunition and would be of no use as a street gun. I made up a flier with a description and picture and the only number on the gun, a two digit number stamped under the barrel which I presume was an assembly number since those old guns weren't serialized. I distributed the flier to every gun shop, sporting goods store and pawn shop in Lake and Porter counties with an offer to pay more than the gun was worth for its return. I also began going to every gun show in the area, searching carefully for it.

Long story short, 7 months later I found it in a dealers case at the Valpo show. Turned out he had bought it from ******'s table during set-up time before the show opened. They refunded the buying dealer and sent the gun back to the Griffith store so it could be picked up by a Hammond detective. D*** ****** had bought it from the perp along with several other guns, several of which ultimately turned out to be stolen. The detective who picked it up told me later that when questioned about it D*** told him he was sure it was my gun, based on my description and admitted I had left a flier at the store.

I had spoken to him personally about that gun when I left a flier at the store. I'm sure he knew it was mine when he bought it. He also knew the perp (a known drug user and dealer) and the perp's family, and the story he had been told by the perp, that he was selling some guns for his father, didn't pass the smell test. I can only assume he was buying guns cheap from the scumbag on at least an intermittent basis and blowing the whistle would have ended a profitable relationship for him. Why he sent the gun to the Valpo store and how and why it ended up at the gun show is open to speculation.

After the perp was identified I figured the burglary case would be resolved. After a couple of months with no action I checked with the detective and he said the perp told him he found the gun in the trunk of a used car he bought and claimed they didn't have a case, more BS that didn't pass the smell test. I started looking into it myself and it didn't take long to learn this perp was the primary suspect in a string of doctor's office burglaries. He would make an appointment, try to get a scrip for pain pills and case the office. A couple of times he apparently managed to steal prescription pads while there for his appointment and the burglaries always targeted meds and prescription pads. He had a bad rep on the street, a suspected snitch had died of an overdose in his apartment, and he himself was suspected of being an informant.

The whole deal just stunk to high heaven. I finally demanded the cops give my gun back. At first they refused, telling me it was "evidence". So I went down to the station and had a "come to Jesus" talk with the detective, told him I knew they weren't going to prosecute the perp, and if they ever decided to do so I would still have the gun. I made it clear if they didn't return it there was going to be a problem, so they finally gave it back. I still have it. It will eventually go to my nephew.

Last edited:

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    There was a pink firearm at the M&S earmarked for someone in case he showed up. No, it did not have a potpourri fragrance when fired.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    20161015_173504_zpsigveolaf.jpg

All 4 frames made.
    3 painted. (I ran out of paint).

These will be attached to the railing. The board it's leaning on is just for me to paint both sides.

20161015_173510_zpsvhgh85rv.jpg

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    :coffee:Yep, good call on convincing the wife to reschedule the pumpkin patch trip after the M&S yesterday. Looks like the weather man was correct.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom