jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Pistol calibers include,

Some cartridges legal for deer hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .500 S&W, .460 Smith & Wesson, .450 Bushmaster, and .50 Beowulf. Full metal jacketed bullets are illegal.

Center fire rifle calibers include,

• 6mm-06
    • 6mm BR Remington
    • 6mm PPC
    • 6mm Remington
    • .240 Weatherby
    • .243 Winchester
    • .243 Winchester Super Short Magnum
    • .30 Carbine
    • .30 Herrett
    • .30 Remington AR
    • .30-06 Springfield
    • .30-30 Winchester
    • .30-40 Krag
    • .300 AAC Blackout (.300 Whisper)
    • .300 H&H Magnum
    • .300 Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum
    • .300 Savage
    • .300 Weatherby Magnum
    • .300 Winchester Magnum
    • .300 Winchester Short Magnum
    • .300 Remington Ultra Magnum
    • .308 Marlin
    • .308 Winchester
    • 7.62x39mm
    • 7.62x54mmR

Why is this?
    Ive never hunted so im a noob to why this list?
    What i mean is why cant i use a ar in .223 or a 9mm pistol?
    Granted i suspect the answer is because those caliber are small vs these and dnr wants you to kill and not just wound the animal? But that is just my guess.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Why is this?
    Granted i suspect the answer is because those caliber are small vs these and dnr wants you to kill and not just wound the animal? But that is just my guess.

Bingo, in North Carolina only .222 .223 and any other center fire cartridge that begins with .22 can be used to hunt deer. At least when I lived there 30 years ago.

Frankly can i change my mind?

What? You're getting old and don't want snow?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Bingo, in North Carolina only .222 .223 and any other center fire cartridge that begins with .22 can be used to hunt deer. At least when I lived there 30 years ago.

What? You're getting old and don't want snow?

You saw that also.

I should have said "Like the rest of us".

Next thing you know he will repudiate PINK!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Why is this?
    Many argue that 500 ft lbs of energy AT THE TARGET is the minimum humane amount of energy required to ethically take an animal with 1 shot. So that, or similar theory, may be part of the reason you can't use a weak caliber.

But then there are other reasons for the list previously quoted DNR doesn't want large caliber bullets that are capable of traveling too far either. We live in Indiana, a mostly FLAT state with a modestly high population density so bullets that retain energy but travel long distances can be a serious hazard to people inside homes that might be in the path of some of those bullets.

In a hilly state (think Pennsylvania, Kentucky, North Carolina) it is far less of an issue because the hills get in the way of those flying bullets.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    Taken directly from the Indiana regs:

Centerfire Rifles
    Rifles chambered for cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger, have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches, and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms, youth, reduction zones (in zones where local ordinances allow the use of a firearm), and special antlerless seasons. These rifle cartridges can be used on public and private land.
    Some cartridges legal for deer hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .500 S&W, .460 Smith & Wesson, .450 Bushmaster, and .50 Beowulf. Full metal jacketed bullets are illegal.

New Legal Rifles
    A new state law allows rifle cartridges that meet the following requirements to be used for deer hunting only on private land during the firearms, youth, reduction zone (in zones where local ordinances allow the use of a firearm), seasons:

• The rifle must have a barrel length of at least 16 inches
    • The cartridge must have a case length of at least 1.16 inches.
    • The cartridge must fire a bullet with a diameter that is .243 inches (same as 6mm) or .308 inches (same as 7.62 mm).
    • Bullets with a diameter smaller than .243 inches (same as 6mm), larger than .308 inches (same as 7.62 mm) or in between .243 and .308 are not legal.
    • A hunter may not possess more than 10 cartridges for each of these rifles while hunting deer.
    • Full metal jacketed bullets are illegal.

[bold emphasis added]

So, for example, .35 Remington has a large enough bullet diameter (.358") but is too long (1.92") to be legal. We're basically talking rifles chambered in pistol caliber cartridges.

New private land regs allow .243 Winchester, .308 Winchester and 7.62x51 NATO (close enough to .308 WIN, although NOT the same) and apparently any other cartridge that uses either a .243" or a .308" bullet with a cartridge length of at least 1.16", whatever those might be.

Last edited:

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    Still waiting on a call from Blythe's in Valpo. I doubt it will ever come. I called to complain Sunday and was told Les himself would call me back. I was in there on Sunday and was arguing with an employee on how I'm surprised they don't have the new LCP in soon and that November is ridiculous considering other places are already selling it. He thought the fact that I said Ruger usually ships guns shortly after announcement was laughable... Literally. He laughed mockingly at me as I walked out the door... After he asked if I "had ever sold guns before?". He suggested I buy it online when I told him I could.. fine then I will LOL!

Got a couple guns there... never again. I'd post a review somewhere, but reviews have a habit of disappearing these days, when the owner doesn't like them.

*sigh* I really need to hit the range this weekend. I'm dying to shoot! :ar15:
    Oh god help, it hurts.. can't stop laughing! Despite my comment, I did leave Blythes a negative review similar to my above post and their reply was simply:

LCP II now in stock!

:laugh:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Going to JP in the morning for some range therapy. I plan on being there about 9 or 930 if anyone cares to join in. I have to sight in a shotgun, make some noise with a Mosin and have a little fun with a Kel-tec carbine.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Went to point blank in Carmel today. Nice range, price was ok. Plenty of guns in stock and quite a selection to rent. Also confirmed I want a CZ P-07 for EDC.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom