• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Super cute. We are forever speculating on the breed of our dogs' father. It looks like a Maremma is also a contender. This is the first I have seen of this breed.

From Google:
    b43f7774bddaa998db3ce6d318c70a02.jpg

Ours:
    attachment.php

Mom was shepherd and chow.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 17, 2016
    Jasper County
    It is indeed. His name is Max. He is a Maremma, which is a livestock guardian dog. He will be living with our goats and protecting them from bad critters.

Hopefully you have some luck since you are getting him with the herd so early. I don't think my Pyrenees can protect anything other than my bed. Yesterday I walked in the door, to no barking. Said hmmm some guard dogs I got then the pyr, pit and cur bust outta the bedroom barking with the pyr barking at me for 2 mins. That dog will bark at a mouse fart but not someone walking in the front door.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And I just noticed, the drunk I gave a ride home to on Christmas day, left a bottle of vodka in the car.

Great.

Coulda been fired, and I didn't even know it was there.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Hopefully you have some luck since you are getting him with the herd so early. I don't think my Pyrenees can protect anything other than my bed. Yesterday I walked in the door, to no barking. Said hmmm some guard dogs I got then the pyr, pit and cur bust outta the bedroom barking with the pyr barking at me for 2 mins. That dog will bark at a mouse fart but not someone walking in the front door.
    From everything we have read and been told by breeders, that is the key. Once they bond with the herd, that is their family and their home.

The Pyrenees are said to be more vocal than the Maremmas. That is one of the reasons we chose the Maremma. The other is that the Pyrenees will protect an area rather than a flock/herd. The Maremma will protect the flock/herd and stay with them. Cuts down on them trying to get out and roam.

So far, he is very quiet. He will cry just a little if he is in a stall and we are in the barn, and I have heard him actually bark once at a cat.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    More likely a Great Pyrenees. They are a lot more common in the US, and look a lot alike.
    Super cute. We are forever speculating on the breed of our dogs' father. It looks like a Maremma is also a contender. This is the first I have seen of this breed.

From Google:
    b43f7774bddaa998db3ce6d318c70a02.jpg

Ours:
    attachment.php

Mom was shepherd and chow.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Working midnights tonight. Long day tomorrow to kick off what could be a long "weekend" for me. But it probably won't be since I'm sure there will be call offs and OT available.

So what's everyone been up to?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom