• Status
    Not open for further replies.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    1775, You will need the jig and some of the other tools to do those. You have to cut the rails and drill some of the holes to complete them and really you can pick up essex or RIA frames complete for the same price normally. There is still a lot to building a 1911A1 from parts as even my Caspian Recon frame needed some of the pin holes re drilled to the right size and fitting the slide to frame is some work. The barrel was easier to do but required some filing and a few different size links to get it in there. You might want to try assembling a kit first before trying to mill the frames rails....

https://www.stealtharms.net/1911-series.html

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    SO I seen a post on one of the FB gun selling pages about a guy building his own 1911. Got me thinking about maybe trying to do that this year, any advice or places to look for info.

I just finished my AR rifle build! Now I'm thinking about building myself a glock. Might possibly start with a timberwolf frame. I hear there is enough of an aftermarket following for glock that it is now possible to build a glock using all non glock parts.
    I though about a 1911 build, but after watching my brother attempt it I says nah, not for me.
    His 1911 build would shoot btw but it was a fugly mess!

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    1775, this 1911A1 was a Caspian Custom Recon slide/frame kit with assorted other parts picked out and assembled. Most of the parts had to be customized by drill, dremel, file, arkansas stone, and lapping compound to properly fit. Ask some of the other NWI M&S guys who have shot her and it was all worth the work but let me tell you it was a lot of work to complete.

DSC01558a.jpg

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    1775, You will need the jig and some of the other tools to do those. You have to cut the rails and drill some of the holes to complete them and really you can pick up essex or RIA frames complete for the same price normally. There is still a lot to building a 1911A1 from parts as even my Caspian Recon frame needed some of the pin holes re drilled to the right size and fitting the slide to frame is some work. The barrel was easier to do but required some filing and a few different size links to get it in there. You might want to try assembling a kit first before trying to mill the frames rails....

https://www.stealtharms.net/1911-series.html

Yeah if I don't even have a vise then I sure as heck don't have a mill or drill press laying around in my garage. I will have to look more into this to see if its something I want to attempt.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Anyone own a slim 709? After much debate over going with the lcp and a new round to stock and load, and would prefer a new LC9(hammer fired) but they are no longer made would like to give this Taurus a look. So if anyone in the laporte area that has one and wouldn't mind me trying before buying can come on over to my place and we can go to the woods to see what she can do.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    1775, sorry about the whole the vice thing the other day but I figured you had one or I would have brought one with me...

For the 80% AR stuff you need a drill press to do it correct, or kind of correct also.

oh and you should have a vice for that too...

I'm still thinking about te 3d printer... but it's not like a vice in the garage type of thing...

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I'll trade an lc9 for an lc9s.

I had no issue with the LC9. I only traded it for a S&W 3913 as I was getting the better deal. Though my 3913 is a tad to tall for center console duty. I would like to be able to close my center console if I leave the car parked for a few hrs while running errands. Also my center console armrest top has the ability to raise to different heights for comfort but if opened all the way it must be closed in order to reset the height adjustment. The 3913 impedes that ability and I have to push down a little harder than I would like to to get it to reset. I do have my LCR but that is on me whenever I leave the house. I may sell my marlin 60 in order for the wife to give me the green light, unless I tell her this is my Christmas gift bought early, so hoping to find some good stuff at the valpo show to look at and see. Would like to get a feel for the 709 beforehand and adjust my search if not the one.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    A guy I play hockey with knows the owner. He said he was just talking about getting out because of how bad it's getting.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Heck they don't even look at the surveillance footage from those ATM's until after something is reported as happening at one...

Well the IT guys might look through them when they get board to see people do strange stupid stuff but the authorities don't look at them until after something happens...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom