Not open for further replies.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    They have had someone there to fix them. But.... they don't want to pay the elevator company overtime.... and only one boss on the late shifts.

That is what service contracts are for.

O! That is not covered by the service contract? WT?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That is what service contracts are for.

O! That is not covered by the service contract? WT?

Not overtime apparently.

Looks like the passenger elevator needs major repairs to the doors, so it will be down a long time.
    The freight elevator is up, for now. But with people using it more, it increases chances of it going down, usually a door problem. And now, I found this message on it..
    20160729_051049_zpsn5bcz9q4.jpg

20160729_051040_zpsm2scsyde.jpg

Unfortunately, they need material on 109. So I'm not sure how long we can run, before we run out of shrouds, tubes, and flux.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And now the freight elevator is down. :xmad:

The upside is that if there are no important calls, everyone leaves me alone.
    Since my shanty is way up on 138, no one wants to hoof it up here.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 17, 2016
    Jasper County
    Not overtime apparently.

Looks like the passenger elevator needs major repairs to the doors, so it will be down a long time.
    The freight elevator is up, for now. But with people using it more, it increases chances of it going down, usually a door problem. And now, I found this message on it..
    20160729_051049_zpsn5bcz9q4.jpg

20160729_051040_zpsm2scsyde.jpg

Unfortunately, they need material on 109. So I'm not sure how long we can run, before we run out of shrouds, tubes, and flux.

We kept getting in trouble for calling the elevator repair company directly and not letting management handle it. We've had people stuck in the elevator and we have to power cycle breakers, and pry the door open for them or they would be stuck for 3-4 hours which is the normal "oh crap" response from their techs. Luckily where I'm at the max height is like 7 stories tall and we rarely gotta do that so I just deal with the 4 stories of stairs and don't risk getting stuck in that hot box

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    And now the freight elevator is down. :xmad:

The upside is that if there are no important calls, everyone leaves me alone.
    Since my shanty is way up on 138, no one wants to hoof it up here.

How about a safety issues especially now its summer time? When the AC went out in our building and NS wasn't going to do anything about it. All it took was a few shops to threaten union action due to safety issues. NS brought in a temp till a new one can be installed in Sept which at that point we won't need AC.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I see the problem. There is one too many layers of paint on that elevator. Anything riding in it will put it over the 50,000 lbs Max.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Both elevators up.... for now.

We kept getting in trouble for calling the elevator repair company directly and not letting management handle it. We've had people stuck in the elevator and we have to power cycle breakers, and pry the door open for them or they would be stuck for 3-4 hours which is the normal "oh crap" response from their techs. Luckily where I'm at the max height is like 7 stories tall and we rarely gotta do that so I just deal with the 4 stories of stairs and don't risk getting stuck in that hot box

Elevators here go up to 148'.
    Stairs to 168'
    Then ladder up to the "crow's nest", don't remember the elevation.
    I don't think the elevator company comes out unless certain managers call.

How about a safety issues especially now its summer time? When the AC went out in our building and NS wasn't going to do anything about it. All it took was a few shops to threaten union action due to safety issues. NS brought in a temp till a new one can be installed in Sept which at that point we won't need AC.

You know how things are. NOTHING is a safety issue till AFTER someone gets hurt.

I see the problem. There is one too many layers of paint on that elevator. Anything riding in it will put it over the 50,000 lbs Max.

Quite possible.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Looking at putting a new natural gas BBQ grill out by the pool. Took a look at the Weber Genesis grills today and liked what I saw.

The Genesis, with the Natural Gas option, is available in Stainless Steel finish or in Black finish. There are other colors available in Propane, but in NG only Black or S.S.

I like the Black finish but I'm curious how durable the finish is in real life use. What is in the showroom is not the same as what the grill will be exposed to out on the pool patio. Every grill I've owned has been stainless steel, its zero maintenance.

Does anyone own a Weber with a painted finish? How long have you owned it? How is the painted finish holding up to the weather?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Melensdad, if it opens up more options to you, you could just get a standard gas grill and get the NG conversion kit. We got the conversion kit at Lowe's for about $50 and I put it on.

Personally, I like stainless, but I'm not sure why?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Melensdad, if it opens up more options to you, you could just get a standard gas grill and get the NG conversion kit. We got the conversion kit at Lowe's for about $50 and I put it on.

Personally, I like stainless, but I'm not sure why?

There is only a $20 price difference between Natural Gas and LP models.

The Stainless version also has all stainless internal parts, which is an advantage over the porcelain coated steel that is used on some of the internal parts of the painted model. I think the painted model looks better (clearly subjective) but can't imagine it holding up as well as stainless.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Yeah, if you find a model you want that comes in NG, then go for it. When I was looking, the selection was very limited, so I just found a grill I wanted and did the conversion. (FWIW, we got a CharBroil Tru-Infrared, and I don't love it, but it's paid for. I can't get a decent sear with it, even when I preheat to the highest setting.)

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I want to say that the Weber grills don't have a LP > NG conversion. I inquired about this, because I'd eventually love to have mine plumbed in, but it was one or the other...

Look for the EP-XXX and not the S-XXX or E-XXX those have the color outside with the S.S internals. Hard to find, but worth it IMO.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Get stainless. My Napoleon has held up great.
    I've never had a problem with stainless not holding up, except the insides eventually rot out, brass parts wear/break, vaporizer plates degrade, burners corrode. I've replaced the guts of every stainless grill I've owned, sometimes 2 or even 3 times. My current American Outdoor stainless grill shines up like new when I bother to actually do that. I've had 3 valves go bad, need to replace the burner units and need to replace the drip vaporizer plates. Its been a great grill, can't complain, but just looking like I can buy a whole new Genesis for the price of the repair parts for this grill. Maybe its just time to change?

As for the black -vs- stainless, honestly I just like the look of the black.

After 3 stainless grills, maybe its time for a change.

BTW, we got rid of a stainless Phoenix grill just because we hated it. It worked, just didn't like the way it cooked. Couldn't sear with it. It was in perfect condition when we dumped it, I think we only used that one for 2 years before we replaced it.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I've never had a problem with stainless not holding up, except the insides eventually rot out, brass parts wear/break, vaporizer plates degrade, burners corrode. I've replaced the guts of every stainless grill I've owned, sometimes 2 or even 3 times. My current American Outdoor stainless grill shines up like new when I bother to actually do that. I've had 3 valves go bad, need to replace the burner units and need to replace the drip vaporizer plates. Its been a great grill, can't complain, but just looking like I can buy a whole new Genesis for the price of the repair parts for this grill. Maybe its just time to change?

As for the black -vs- stainless, honestly I just like the look of the black.

After 3 stainless grills, maybe its time for a change.

BTW, we got rid of a stainless Phoenix grill just because we hated it. It worked, just didn't like the way it cooked. Couldn't sear with it. It was in perfect condition when we dumped it, I think we only used that one for 2 years before we replaced it.
    Ouch. That is something the infrared burner on my grill is great for. I only wish I had more than one of them in there.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom