• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I remember the models with a gear shift lever on them. Maybe a five speed?

I had one of those, It was called the Orange Krate. Had a gear shift level on the top bar. Painted orange. Also had a mini-front wheel with a spring shock absorber on the front fork and hand brakes.

1970-Schwinn-Orange-Krate.jpg

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    You know the banana seat was more comfortable for guys to ride....

OK I'm dating myself with Melensdad's picture...

Need to get the bike back out if the weather ever gets off the zanax it has been doing...

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I had one of those, It was called the Orange Krate. Had a gear shift level on the top bar. Painted orange. Also had a mini-front wheel with a spring shock absorber on the front fork and hand brakes.

That was big money there. We were in a different situation, I never had a new bike. My stingray came from somebody else in the neighborhood who was done with it. It was an awesome bike though, as I remember it.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

I had one kind of like that. Wide back tire and a five speed.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    That was big money there. We were in a different situation, I never had a new bike. My stingray came from somebody else in the neighborhood who was done with it. It was an awesome bike though, as I remember it.
    I remember having hand-me-down bikes and playing bike tag. Back in the day a bike was freedom.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    I had one kind of like that. Wide back tire and a five speed.
    I had one like that as well. It had the orange motif and banana seat and wide slick tire in the back, and it was a 5 speed, however mine had a thumb shift lever on the handlebars, NOT on the frame. I think that was the ONLY difference. I would have to go and look at it in one of the garages of my parents for a closer look.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I had one like that as well. It had the orange motif and banana seat and wide slick tire in the back, and it was a 5 speed, however mine had a thumb shift lever on the handlebars, NOT on the frame. I think that was the ONLY difference. I would have to go and look at it in one of the garages of my parents for a closer look.
    That was the exact one I had too. I still have a scar on my finger from the seat breaking off the front post. I grabbed the seat and scraped my finger on the post.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom