• Status
    Not open for further replies.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I think I'm looking for a gunsmith who can true up a Remington 700 action and install a new barrel blank. Is there anybody here in the NW corner that anybody has used and trusts?

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I think I'm looking for a gunsmith who can true up a Remington 700 action and install a new barrel blank. Is there anybody here in the NW corner that anybody has used and trusts?
    While I haven't used them, I spoke with Chris at the gun show in Valpo on Saturday. He seems to be very knowledgeable and I get the impression that if he can't do something he'll tell you right away. I have no idea what his turnaround time is or anything else.
    CROSS SABER CUSTOM GUNSMITHING
    The only gunsmith I know personally is my nephew, but he's in MO.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    While I haven't used them, I spoke with Chris at the gun show in Valpo on Saturday. He seems to be very knowledgeable and I get the impression that if he can't do something he'll tell you right away. I have no idea what his turnaround time is or anything else.
    CROSS SABER CUSTOM GUNSMITHING
    The only gunsmith I know personally is my nephew, but he's in MO.

I'll second this. his table was right next to a friend of mine and we talked a bit. He taught me a thing or two about building rifles and wild cat CF rifles that are legal to hunt with in Indiana.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    You guys...
    So, if you are reloading in the cold, I guess the only thing to worry about is working up a max load in extreme cold and shooting it in hot weather, if you really want to get into it. You can get around the problem by warming the ammo to a normal temp before shooting it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    You guys...
    So, if you are reloading in the cold, I guess the only thing to worry about is working up a max load in extreme cold and shooting it in hot weather, if you really want to get into it. You can get around the problem by warming the ammo to a normal temp before shooting it.
    Warming it by a fire is the quickest way to get it up to temp.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    You can get things up to temp with a little planning like running a couple hundred rounds through the gun before you shoot them...

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    That doesn't smell right to me. but murder/suicide wraps everything up nicely for the po po.

Reminds me of the suicide in Hobart when the guy beat himself to death in his workshop with a hammer. The door was locked from the inside so his wife just removed the hinge pins and removed the door. Try that some time.
    I remember that.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Lightweights.

I pour a couple hundred gallons of water into the bottom of a furnace, the pour liquid steel over it.

I have a friend who made aluminum alloy and had just moved an ingot next to the vat to heat up and a supervisor pushed it in. Luckily no one was killed in the explosion.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom