• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Volkswagen looks like they're in trouble!

YUP, heads are going to roll in Germany. I've got a cousin who lives there, he said that there is a massive German government investigation into the scandal.

On the other hand, as the owner of one of the "affected" diesel engines I have NO INTENTION of allowing the dealerships to 'reprogram' my car's computer so it gets LOWER fuel economy. I'm happy to get nearly 50mpg on the highway and to "average" 40mpg combined for both city/highway miles. Yes, I realize that I am contributing to some excess pollution but its not that much given that even runny "dirty" it is still a clean burning engine.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    YUP, heads are going to roll in Germany. I've got a cousin who lives there, he said that there is a massive German government investigation into the scandal.

On the other hand, as the owner of one of the "affected" diesel engines I have NO INTENTION of allowing the dealerships to 'reprogram' my car's computer so it gets LOWER fuel economy. I'm happy to get nearly 50mpg on the highway and to "average" 40mpg combined for both city/highway miles. Yes, I realize that I am contributing to some excess pollution but its not that much given that even runny "dirty" it is still a clean burning engine.
    Do you plan to get rid of it before you need to start getting it tested?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN

I doubt it. if the EPA was so concerned about pollution they would of made 50 state emission testing mandatory for all motorized vehicles. I'm sure there will be a black market for those who would like to get their cars programmed back. This is why we have DEF in order to cut down on the nox. Not too mention if the EPA is so concerned about diesel they would go after those who mod their trucks to roll smoke I mean pollution is pollution even in small numbers right?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I doubt it. if the EPA was so concerned about pollution they would of made 50 state emission testing mandatory for all motorized vehicles. I'm sure there will be a black market for those who would like to get their cars programmed back. This is why we have DEF in order to cut down on the nox. Not too mention if the EPA is so concerned about diesel they would go after those who mod their trucks to roll smoke I mean pollution is pollution even in small numbers right?
    None of that affects whether your car will pass emissions testing. Looks like they won't without the software change.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I'm thinking a reprogram and then demanding a buy back for not delivering the goods I paid for. ��
    Won't get a buy back because it is performing BETTER than advertised now.

Diesels don't get emissions tested. So why mess with it? Its getting better than advertised performance AND fuel economy now and it is exempt from emission testing.

"Fixing" it will make it perform in line with the EPA estimates instead of BETTER than the EPA estimates and its performance was advertised based on the EPA testing numbers. I prefer better.

None of that affects whether your car will pass emissions testing. Looks like they won't without the software change.
    Diesels are all exempt from testing.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN

I've got 9500 miles on my 2015 I should be seeing the light to remind me to refill my DEF, but nothing yet. The DEF is supposed to last 10k miles. According to the articles with the software off normal driving the Nox level is 40 times higher than the EPA limit which is what the DEF is supposed to keep low. My guess would be that the DEF pump only comes on if car is tested and otherwise doesn't pump at all. In any case the urea is injected in the exhaust and if this is what the software does when the DEF pump is on it won't effect performance of fuel economy as its inject after the fuel burn if turn back on.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Won't get a buy back because it is performing BETTER than advertised now.

Diesels don't get emissions tested. So why mess with it? Its getting better than advertised performance AND fuel economy now and it is exempt from emission testing.

"Fixing" it will make it perform in line with the EPA estimates instead of BETTER than the EPA estimates and its performance was advertised based on the EPA testing numbers. I prefer better.

Diesels are all exempt from testing.
    I've been ave higher than 45 ever since I bought her new in May. My best was 54 while driving to Fl and the whole trip only cost 140ish in fuel.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I've been ave higher than 45 ever since I bought her new in May. My best was 54 while driving to Fl and the whole trip only cost 140ish in fuel.

My Jetta fuel economy is based on 115,000+ miles and that includes a lot of driving around the suburbs of Chicago where there is a lot of stop/go driving. I don't drive for economy, mine is a custom built TDI Cup street racer. I want economy, but also performance.

I don't believe its valid to judge a cars fuel economy on a trip or two, but rather its valid to judge only on long term daily driving.

My tuned Audi A6 TDI (3.0 Liter) is not affected by the recall, but that one has just over 21,000 miles, daily driving fuel economy is 36.7mpg. But on trips I can easily top 42mpg and can make it from home to Winston-Salem NC (735 miles) on 1 tank of fuel, averaging 44mpg on the highway at 80mph with th AC running.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I believe right now at nearly 40,000 I am averaging about 39.5-40 mpg, I'd have to look. That is all over the course of the last 17 months. I drive a pretty good mix of highway and city, and don't feather the gas or brake at all. When I drive I am getting somewhere, not enjoying the scenery. As for the DEF, I know it is being used because I just had to add some last month. However that is the first time I've seen the light, my guess is because they always topped it off at my maintenance appt. However since I hit 30k I had to start paying, and I believe I only did an oil change at the last one, so they didn't top off the DEF.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Fencing season started today ... already have a new team shirt designed.

image.jpg1_zpsb3dwdkjv.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom