• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Microburst laid down the tomatoes and some corn, but got that straightened back up. Trimmed trees and bushes blowing clippings into the yard for mulching. Freaking grass is STILL wet! Good time for a lunch break. :nono: Don't you even think about it Mother Nature!
    I just sent my wife out to mow the lawn. Too hot for me. I'll be at the pool with a beer.

:cough:.......I'm a redneck, Thank You..... Not a thug. I'm even south of 231...... :p
    A TRANSPLANTED THUG perhaps. Sort of like a weed :cool:

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I just sent my wife out to mow the lawn. Too hot for me. I'll be at the pool with a beer.

:blahblah: If you'd ever see my wife's mowing skills, you'd know why I went out. Knocked it out in record time! I was unaware I was the head chef at a buffet. Out of nowhere dragonflies trailed me as I scared up lunch.

One of the neighbors had a fire engine and ambulance show up. Didn't see anyone getting taken for a ride. Hope everything is ok. He didn't come get me. Guess I'll find out later.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I was just hanging a shower rod and two mating dragonflies flew through the open window. I thought it was a bird at first. We all made it through the ordeal alive.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I was just hanging a shower rod and two mating dragonflies flew through the open window. I thought it was a bird at first. We all made it through the ordeal alive.

After watching this, I now know why they were searching for a shower. You might want to bleach the bathroom! :lmfao:

[video=youtube_share;mZuggJQHmko]http://youtu.be/mZuggJQHmko[/video]

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    Im worse than a transplanted thug....... I crossed the border... But thats was 14 yrs ago..(to ST John) .. Lets just say i saw the light! Lol

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    6 hours of double time is good for me.

The homeowner thought it would be a good idea to pound an old piece of rebar that's been in his yard for awhile instead of pulling it out. BAM it the gas main.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Im worse than a transplanted thug....... I crossed the border... But thats was 14 yrs ago..(to ST John) .. Lets just say i saw the light! Lol

You don't lose your Cooties until you've been south of 30 for at least 20 years.

At 15 we will consider you a Probationary Redneck :):

:runaway:It hasn't rained today!
    Day is not over :popcorn:

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I don't think I want to watch that video...

The wife was laying out and cutting the kitchen backsplash tile. She told me to start mixing the mud. I wanted dinner instead. We took a break to eat. Then I looked at the tile. Honey, the tile doesn't line up with the outlets. She's a good sport. Redo!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    We are doing some tile work at our house too.

Actually its glass, not ceramic. Making a mosaic.

Our home was designed in 1912 by an architect named Walter Burley Griffin. It existed only as a pen and ink drawing until we found the drawing in a library and had blueprints drawn up based on the drawing, finally building the house in 1995. Griffin was, at the time, working in the studio with Frank Lloyd Wright, who is still hearlded as one of America's most famous/prominent architects. Griffen moved on to Australia and become that one of that nations most famous/prominent architects. He is known for designing Canberra, Australia's capital city. He has been credited with the development of the L-shaped floor plan, the carport, and an innovative use of reinforced concrete. Many of his Australian homes have a 'sleeping porch' and my house is one of the few in the USA to have been designed with this feature.

Anyway, we tend to add things to the home, bit by bit, trying to keep in the style of what Frank Lloyd Wright or Walter Burley Griffin would have done. One focal point of our home is the fireplace, it had 8 pieces of art hanging over it, each about 16" by 16" for the past dozen or more years. Always been a spot we wanted to work on. And then we found original mosaics in Frank Lloyd Wright's MARTIN HOUSE and also in his ENNIS HOUSE and decided that a moasic inspired by those would be perfect for our home.

Below is a photo of our fireplace, roughly 12' tall, floor to ceiling, just shy of 8' wide. Mantle is roughly 6' wide. The central area above the fireplace is a bit over 40" wide and 77" tall

image.jpg5_zpsvd2tbkyb.jpg

Here is the mosaic over the ENNIS HOUSE fireplace, its the basis for our design....

image.jpg1_zpsmapoiner.jpg

Here is the MARTIN HOUSE fireplace, you can see this is much more extensive of a mosaic. It is the inspiration for our mosaic, in that it extends beyond the width of the firebox, unlike the ENNIS HOUSE fireplace.

Our goal, is to fill in the entire central column above our fireplace, then extend it in a "T" shape at the top following the wood trim around the corners of the fireplace and back to the wall on either side of the fireplace.

So we will not be as extensive as the MARTIN HOUSE mosaic, but will be more involved and expansive than the ENNIS HOUSE fireplace.

image.jpg8_zpsw75ufird.jpg

We made a template of the central area above our fireplace out of heavy kraft paper. Melen and one of her friends spent the better part of a full day drawing out the design on the kraft paper.

I've been mostly cutting stained glass, Melen has helped somewhat. But I'd say I've cut the vast majority of it. Right now we are just cutting 1.5" by 1.5" squares out of various types of brown glass. I'd estimate it takes about 1 minute per square. I start with a sheet of glass, true up one side, then cut it into strips, each 1.5" wide. Then cut the squares out of the strips. I expect that we will need about 500 squares for the background. All along the tree trunk and where the leaves at the top of the mosaic meet the squares we will have to cut the squares to fit with the adjoining pieces.

The leaves will be about 1" wide and perhaps 3.5" long. Some will be single pieces of glass, some will be made up of 2 or even 3 pieces. I figure those will take much longer to cut since each will be tapered to a point.

image.jpg9_zps1eupkfkg.jpg

In the prior photo you can see quite of bit of very light glass, that will mostly be removed. We are not happy with the wide variation in color between the deeper ambers and the light tan colors so we are taking out some of the light tan and adding in more of the amber/brown glass.

At this point we are concentrating on the brown/tan/amber squares. Once ALL of those are cut then we will work on the trunk of the willow tree and the wisteria vine. The plan is to then progress to the leaves, and finally to the wisteria flowers.

The majority of the cutting is using a ceramic type wet-saw with a glass cutting blade. Obviously other tools like glass nippers will be used too.

Background = amber/brown/tan squares
    Trunk & vine = very dark greens & blues/almost black
    Willow leaves = various greens with white veining
    Wisteria flowers = light purples/blues

image.jpg7_zpsalrbjw6k.jpg

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Thank you for reminding me of a couple things.

1) I am lazy
    2) I have no real skills for making things.

LOL looks cool though, make sure to post it up when you are all done with it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Thank you for reminding me of a couple things.

1) I am lazy
    2) I have no real skills for making things.

LOL looks cool though, make sure to post it up when you are all done with it.

Glad I could help you out!

We moved the template into our dining room, it has the only table large enough to hold the template. We are laying out the background glass there. All of the background glass is now cut, washed (twice) wiped down (twice) and dried off.

Just to test things out we made some of the leaves today and those cuts went a bit quicker than I figured.

On the downside, the trunk of the wisteria is going to be a b!t(h to cut. The outside curves are easy enough. The inside curves are going to require a new saw, which is now on order. Hopefully it will arrive before the end of the week. I tried cutting some of the inside curves, and it can be done, but not with enough accuracy and not as smooth as I'd like. Oh, and it takes a long time to get a fairly crappy curve, so that is just a bad combination. I think the new saw will do the trick nicely. Its got a water cooled diamond wire blade, supposed to cut any shape, and do so quickly. Seems to have good reviews.

Here is how it looks tonight (we are done for the day)

image.jpg1_zpsl3hhomxq.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom