Northwest Indiana Gun Owners # 25 good morning all.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm semi-shopping for a vehicle. Not looking a sedans/cars...

In the running, Toyota Crown hybrid sedan, which is a 'raised sedan' and basically the same hight at a crossover, but looks like a sedan. I spec it out at roughly $53K

Fisker Ocean, a 340 mile range EV in compact SUV format. Cool vehicle, lots of tech. Not crazy priced given the EV range, but the Hybrids provide more luxury for less money. Price is close to $60K as I'd spec it out. But even at a high price, not as luxurious, not as much cargo room, and not as feature packed as a similar Hybrid. FWIW the Hyundai Ionic 5 is slightly larger, luxury is subjective so spec'd similarly it offers more storage space but FAR miles LESS range between charges

Hyundai 2024 Santa Fe Hybrid (to be officially announced in about 30 hours and shocking different than the 2023 variant) all new and totally redesigned SUV. Hybrid version of t. Early official photos and speculative specifications make it look awesome, probably about $50K as I'd spec it out. About 30mpg in Hybrid variant.

Toyota Venza Hybrid crossover "grand patents version of a n adventure SUV." About $48k full loaded and about 40mpg.

Near as I can tell I spend close to $2000 per vehicle on gasoline annually on a vehicle that gets about 30mpg and maybe $1500 if I got the 40mpg Crown or Venza. Probably about $200 annually on oil changes per vehicle. So that would continue with any Hybrid vehicle. And also near as I can figure, an EV would cost me about $700 in electric bills annually after I spend $1500 to $2000 for an AC charger to be acquired and installed. So annual savings is roughly $1000/year, if I pro-rate the cost of the charger + installation.

Is it worth spending and extra $8000* to get an EV to save $1000 per year?

* close apples to apples comparison, factoring in similar trim levels, similar features, etc.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

* close apples to apples comparison, factoring in similar trim levels, similar features, etc.

suspect the answer (right now) is no.
    EV batteries claim they last 10 to 20 years. Cut that in half for our environment and to remove the "marketing fluff" and say 5 to 10 years.

U need to keep that car based on your numbers for 8 years to break even right?

20230803_054037.jpg

2015 gas minivan is getting jedi this to around 32 mpg on highway to/from nwi to chiraqi and north to ohare when the van is loaded with tools/material as well.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    suspect the answer (right now) is no.
    EV batteries claim they last 10 to 20 years. Cut that in half for our environment and to remove the "marketing fluff" and say 5 to 10 years.

U need to keep that car based on your numbers for 8 years to break even right?

View attachment 291873

2015 gas minivan is getting jedi this to around 32 mpg on highway to/from nwi to chiraqi and north to ohare when the van is loaded with tools/material as well.
    Wow you get much better mpg than me…. I wonder what the deal is? I just hit 26 on the highway and had to work for it….. same van

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I'm semi-shopping for a vehicle. Not looking a sedans/cars...

In the running, Toyota Crown hybrid sedan, which is a 'raised sedan' and basically the same hight at a crossover, but looks like a sedan. I spec it out at roughly $53K

Fisker Ocean, a 340 mile range EV in compact SUV format. Cool vehicle, lots of tech. Not crazy priced given the EV range, but the Hybrids provide more luxury for less money. Price is close to $60K as I'd spec it out. But even at a high price, not as luxurious, not as much cargo room, and not as feature packed as a similar Hybrid. FWIW the Hyundai Ionic 5 is slightly larger, luxury is subjective so spec'd similarly it offers more storage space but FAR miles LESS range between charges

Hyundai 2024 Santa Fe Hybrid (to be officially announced in about 30 hours and shocking different than the 2023 variant) all new and totally redesigned SUV. Hybrid version of t. Early official photos and speculative specifications make it look awesome, probably about $50K as I'd spec it out. About 30mpg in Hybrid variant.

Toyota Venza Hybrid crossover "grand patents version of a n adventure SUV." About $48k full loaded and about 40mpg.

Near as I can tell I spend close to $2000 per vehicle on gasoline annually on a vehicle that gets about 30mpg and maybe $1500 if I got the 40mpg Crown or Venza. Probably about $200 annually on oil changes per vehicle. So that would continue with any Hybrid vehicle. And also near as I can figure, an EV would cost me about $700 in electric bills annually after I spend $1500 to $2000 for an AC charger to be acquired and installed. So annual savings is roughly $1000/year, if I pro-rate the cost of the charger + installation.

As a general response, I don't trust the EV side of the hybrid vehicles, yet. Not the concept, but the implementation. I'll go into more detail later, got to get moving now.

A non-EV economic comparison; you can get a top-of-the-line Subaru Outback, with 9 in of ground clearance and proven AWD system, with the turbocharger near 300 ft lb of torque, for about $42k. I'm getting about 25 mpg combined driving.

Plenty of cargo space, very comfortable ride, and a killer stereo system, for stock. There's a lot to like.

I'm not trying to rain on the EV parade, but for the money, it's not for me yet.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    You can effectively move an aggressive dog with a broom rather than killing it depending on the situation - and the dog, but it takes balls, not a light saber.
    Maybe one aggressive dog and a broom…. MAYBE but 6-7 aggressive dogs??(if you know what you’re getting into atleast he had lethal option) I don’t think it is big BALLS it takes I think it is small brain lol

Pack of dogs…. Attacking people? Need put down asap. Flame if you’d like.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    In the case of electric anything, from gun lights to power tools to EVs, you have to consider the cost of the batteries.
    In the case of EVs, you have to consider the resale value as well. That technology is changing very fast and the current models will be moving toward being obsolete in a short time, even if you replace the batteries.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Wow you get much better mpg than me…. I wonder what the deal is? I just hit 26 on the highway and had to work for it….. same van
    What speed are you going?
    Do you have the "eco" button turned on?

jedi has noticed that 62 mph is the sweet spot. Set the cruise at that and it's all good. Get behind a semi at 55 to 58 and it's even better.

From the limited Google searches jedi has done its due to wind resistance and this van being a box. Higher speeds causes too much drag and thus burns more gas.

Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    :dunno: what were you going to do with the broom?
    The dogs were still moving towards people. I was pushing the broom into their faces as a form of defense because I couldn't find a bat. It was the old style witch's broom and yes, had to watch my 6 and keep turning around. They never got closer than 4-5 feet from me.

Last edited:

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Honestly, even the car manufacturers are not, I repeat are not, confident in EV's. I've been there. I've worked with the engineers. I know people designing the manufacturing of the components. None of them are confident enough in EV's to buy one. The ones that have them only lease them year by year.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Another issue to consider with EV and it's one that the fire department and the national fire association is struggling with right now is how to handle ev fires.

The game plan right now is massive, massive amounts of water. Sprinkler systems in commercial garages are not capable of doing that. In a house it's bye bye.

They are working on foams and other liquids but it's costly and not easily available yet.

Normally the fire codes don't get updated until mankind learns the hard way and the loss of lives occurs.

B40B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Valparaiso
    Another issue to consider with EV and it's one that the fire department and the national fire association is struggling with right now is how to handle ev fires.

The game plan right now is massive, massive amounts of water. Sprinkler systems in commercial garages are not capable of doing that. In a house it's bye bye.

They are working on foams and other liquids but it's costly and not easily available yet.

Normally the fire codes don't get updated until mankind learns the hard way and the loss of lives occurs.
    The foams are there. Unfortunately, city fire depts. and their engines do not support the use of foam. When I worked on airports in the Army, AFFF was the common foam for anything aircraft or electrical. (Even though we found out it is cancerous now, yay) One of the major issues is getting the foam in the hose stream. ARF vehicles have it built in, city vehicles have to use outdated siphon systems that most crews don't have on the trucks, ala lots of water.

klausm

Grouchy Gar
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    North Central
    The dogs were still moving towards people. I was pushing the broom into their faces as a form of defense because I couldn't find a bat. It was the old style witch's broom and yes, had to watch my 6 and keep turning around. They never got closer than 4-5 feet from me.
    next time try a real long extension cord and a vacuum sweeper :):

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    I like gasoline cars for the quick fill-ups. Drive 350 miles and ready to go in 5 minutes after refueling. Drive EV 350 miles and need hours to recharge. Are there going to be enough charging stations at my destination? If I stay with family 3 or 4 states away, where do I recharge my EV?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom