• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Until I joined this forum I didn't even know about the Appleseed project. THANK YOU INGO! :ingo:

After reading through tons of threads here, seeing some of the AAR reports, and doing as much research as I could, I have finally signed up for my first Appleseed. 40 isn't too late to learn something new, right??

From what I have read, I am planning to take my 10/22 and also my Garand. I plan to shoot most of the day Saturday with the Ruger and maybe try a few course of fires with the Garand on Sunday. Just typing this makes me giddy.

I think my enthusiasm has also convinced a good friend of mine from Michigan to come down and shoot it with me. Question for the veterans: should I contact the event organizer ahead of time to request that we are able to shoot together? Or is that something we can take care of on the first day of the event?

My plan is to bump this thread up from time to time. It would be cool to know what other INGOers plan to shoot this event ahead of time.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences and passion for Appleseed. I have a VERY strong feeling I will become "one of you" after this first one.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    I went to my first AS in April. I have shot at 3 more and attended 3 shooting 1 day only. My goal is one a month until I shoot a rifleman score. BTW, I'll be 57 in 2 weeks. For many of us in IN you can probably shoot 2 AS per month within a 3 hour drive of where you live. I'm registered for 3 in MI by December. August & November are still open.

You can stake your own place on the line with your buddy. Especially if you get there early.:-)

jve153

Expert
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    You can work out shooting next to each other when you arrive. Just let the shoot boss know. Congrats on taking the first step to becoming a better shooter. You will also learn a lot of heritage as they tell the history of the events that led up to the first battle of the revolutionary war. It looks like antebellum will be there, she is an awesome instructor. You will learn a lot and have a great time.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Thanks for the replies. Look forward to meeting some of you there. And yeah, I have a feeling I will shoot a number of these. I love learning and self improvement And it gives me another reason to go shooting.

If you would have told me 2 months ago that I would voluntarily give up opening weekend of bow season to go to an "Appleseed" I would have laughed at you. But I am super excited about it now.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Enjoy your experience. I've attended three 'Seeds and hosted one. The instructors were outstanding in all of them. (Watch out if one of your instructors is named 'ATM'! :D)

I believe the instruction I received has helped both my rifle and pistol shooting. Sight alignment and trigger squeeze are universal!

Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    I'll be there!
    This will be my second Appleseed, and I'm bringing friends this time!
    I shot Rifleman my first weekend, but that might have just been good luck because on the following 2 AQTs I wasn't quite there.
    This time is to prove to myself that I can do it consistently.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I'll be there!
    This will be my second Appleseed, and I'm bringing friends this time!
    I shot Rifleman my first weekend, but that might have just been good luck because on the following 2 AQTs I wasn't quite there.
    This time is to prove to myself that I can do it consistently.

Awesome. Look forward to meeting you guys.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'll have to talk to the kid about attending this one. It's not .22 LR only at this site? Is it 25 yards only though?

Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    As far as I know, you can shoot almost any caliber (no 50BMG) here. I did an Appleseed shoot here in July, and we shot .30-06 on the second day. One of the instructors was kind enough to let everyone try out his M1 Garand. :yesway:

There is the possibility to move the firing line back to 100 yards if everyone is up for it. Our group chose to spend more time shooting AQTs at 25 yds, rather than to move back to the 100 yd line. It is very similar to shooting at a longer range, it just takes less time to walk down and retrieve your target, so you get more shooting in.

It's definitely important to shoot at 100 yards, but not until you've mastered it at 25. At 25 yards, you're shooting at a "headshot" target that is the size of a postage stamp. FUN!

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks! I've had the pleasure to shoot AQT's at 400 yards. You've got to try a full known distance Appleseed sometime. :rockwoot:

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Nov 16, 2010
    Centerfire is absolutely allowed at Noblesville, and there is definitely a chance that we'll go out to 100 yds. on Sunday

TwinTurbo

Plinker
    Aug 16, 2011
    Under pressure with two snails
    I'm seriously considering going to this, although I've never been to an organized event of this nature. It's close enough that I would be able to attend both days.

Sorry for the ignorant question, but is project appleseed basically an instructional event? I'm trying to get a grasp on what to expect.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    I'm seriously considering going to this, although I've never been to an organized event of this nature. It's close enough that I would be able to attend both days.

Sorry for the ignorant question, but is project appleseed basically an instructional event? I'm trying to get a grasp on what to expect.

Appleseed is a 501 (c)(3) dedicated to teaching traditional rifle marksmanship skills alongside the history of April 19, 1775 - the beginning of the American Revolutionary War - all in an effort to remind Americans of their Heritage of Liberty and Freedom and to encourage civic involvement. We teach prone, seated, and standing shooting positions, all with how to use a sling for support. We teach you how to fire a shot, how to adjust your sights, and more. We also present the history of April 19, 1775 throughout the weekend.

And it's fun. We like to have a good time. Hope you can make it! If you need more info, let me know!

TwinTurbo

Plinker
    Aug 16, 2011
    Under pressure with two snails
    Appleseed is a 501 (c)(3) dedicated to teaching traditional rifle marksmanship skills alongside the history of April 19, 1775 - the beginning of the American Revolutionary War - all in an effort to remind Americans of their Heritage of Liberty and Freedom and to encourage civic involvement. We teach prone, seated, and standing shooting positions, all with how to use a sling for support. We teach you how to fire a shot, how to adjust your sights, and more. We also present the history of April 19, 1775 throughout the weekend.

And it's fun. We like to have a good time. Hope you can make it! If you need more info, let me know!

Thanks for the info! I received wife approval (important for weekend events), so I signed up for both days. I look forward to meeting some fellow INGOers there. Less than a month to go :)

Top Bottom