• ...and so much more!
  • sapper83

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    Yeah. That's why my 401k contribution rate on my bonus is 100%.
    I always try to file exempt with a w4 for my bonus check since they throw it on a regular paycheck, but they played games the two years saying they were out of the office or it didn't make it in time when it is freaking electronic! I never thought to go 100% 401k but I do roth anyway.

sapper83

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    I understand, nothing wrong with that!!
    The years I worked for Otis on the road, I averaged 25 to 2600 hrs a year.
    We earned a pension credit with each 1,700 hours worked.
    Just imagine if all those hours were tax free!

Yeah im burnt out but manage to keep cranking out hours. My body is starting to fall apart at a young 41. Time to slow down. I'm already set for retirement if the system doesn't belly up, just waiting for 55!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I always try to file exempt with a w4 for my bonus check since they throw it on a regular paycheck, but they played games the two years saying they were out of the office or it didn't make it in time when it is freaking electronic! I never thought to go 100% 401k but I do roth anyway.
    The nice thing about the 100% is it gets a nice chunk in there early in the year. Then I can pare down the % on the rest of my checks and take home more money through out the year.

I kinda think about it like trying to make sure my tax refund at the end of the year is near 0 so my take home pay is maximized.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Taxation is theft.
    End the fed.
    Disband all 3 letter .gov entities.
    While I get the sentiment, the reality is without taxes, you'd soon be driving on dirt roads or worse. Hell, look how bad the roads are with taxes. And that's only one expense. You gonna build your own nuclear arsenal to defend against Russia, China, et al? Nice sentiment, but it's never gonna happen.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I will concede that if the law is changed removing tax obligations from overtime pay, it is not a benefit by the strict letter of the law. But the law itself is then inequitable. To me the benefit is someone earning say $100,000 including overtime will pay less in taxes than someone making the same amount with a 40 hour work week.

As implied above (post #16?), if it is a benefit to reduce taxes on OT, why not for all? Why should folks who have the opportunity to vastly increase their pay for additional labor deserve this special carve out?
    it would be neither fair nor equitable.

but this idea of "welfare" you have... Trump's tax cut for the top 1% is welfare? Ronnie's tax overhaul was welfare?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm salaried, but can get "OT", which amounts to roughly an additional 37 cents per hour, but they strongly discourage it in favor of "comp time" (which is just straight time). I'm not sure what my tax obligation would be for that extra 37 cents, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't notice it.

sapper83

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    it would be neither fair nor equitable.

but this idea of "welfare" you have... Trump's tax cut for the top 1% is welfare? Ronnie's tax overhaul was welfare?
    Man everyone loved regan but i honest think he was the start of selling our the souls of the working class. His policies killed the american manufacturering industry polished off by Clinton! I just detailed my own thread! :hijack: :lmfao:

ironjaw77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2024
    US
    While I get the sentiment, the reality is without taxes, you'd soon be driving on dirt roads or worse. Hell, look how bad the roads are with taxes. And that's only one expense. You gonna build your own nuclear arsenal to defend against Russia, China, et al? Nice sentiment, but it's never gonna happen.
    As far as the "but muh roads" argument.....

The sentiment is this......hang all incumbent politicians, (local, state, and federal) Start completely from scratch. Set term limits. Simplify tax code. Make these elected officials actually work for their job.

I understand taxes are necessary for military and defense. But there isn't a soul that can honestly say that these jokers (politicians) are handling our tax dollars with the utmost value. If they aren't doing their job, fire them.....or hang em.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Ain't nothin wrong with dirt roads!!

I like BigReds new friend!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

The sentiment is this......hang all incumbent politicians, (local, state, and federal) Start completely from scratch. Set term limits. Simplify tax code. Make these elected officials actually work for their job.

I understand taxes are necessary for military and defense. But there isn't a soul that can honestly say that these jokers (politicians) are handling our tax dollars with the utmost value. If they aren't doing their job, fire them.....or hang em.
    Oh I would agree with getting rid of the current bunch of crooks that are running things now. :thumbsup:

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Man everyone loved regan but i honest think he was the start of selling our the souls of the working class. His policies killed the american manufacturering industry polished off by Clinton! I just detailed my own thread! :hijack: :lmfao:
    He was charismatic. But yes, he wasn't great for the American economy or taxpayer.
    The Laffer Curve, which was used to support "trickle down" economics was his biggest affront to the American middle class.
    Except maybe for the taxation of Social Security benefits.

sapper83

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso

You forgot age limits!!!! Noone older then ss age!!! Lol, but great start on boxes to check!!!

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    I am broadly defining welfare as a monetary benefit to one or some. So yes, something like a child tax credit is also welfare. I get paid based on my production. If I choose to work 60 hours a week, which I have for the last two months, I make more money. But since i am not an hourly employee I would get no benefit. What is the difference?

This is also based on the premise that if the Gov gets less from one segment, they will take more from another. Tax is a liability or a debt owed. To me economically "forgiving" inc. taxes on OT pay is similar to forgiving student loan debt. Under current law, both are obligations, whether you agree with them or not.

BTW I am a single male with no dependents who owns a small business. Taxes and costs from government regs & mandates are huge sore spots.

Hush.....you're harshing my buzz.

henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Serious question out of my own ignorance. I've never worked for a company that provided health insurance. Does the employee pay income tax on the amount the company pays for them?
    I get two different "income" boxes on my W-2. One shows the actual amount I earned for income purposes, the other shows how much total income and benefits I got for social security/medicare purposes. It seems to be just an accounting thing and not additional tax.

Top Bottom