• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NoAdmiration

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    No taxes on OT has me asking a few questions.

So i max out my roth 401k and a roth IRA. The percentage comes out of my over all income not just 40 hour base? Now how would I contribute? Companies would have to do more book keeping.

I feel property tax, sales tax, registration fees, even state taxes will sky rocket to make up the difference. Will this cause inflation? The middle class pay most the taxes.

Also does the standard and itemization now go off base wages???
    Well, I feel like all income tax is theft based on a lie told 100 years ago... so whose feelings win?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    So your making your own definition up??? It isn't actually called welfare, the correct term is taniff. Welfare or taniff is something given by the government to someone for nothing in return at all. Im sure taxes are a sore spot for all here. I pay more in feds alone then most people make in a year.
    That part. Its really funny to me.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    That part. Its really funny to me.
    What is funny about it? You doubt him? It isn't like the median income is some huge number.

For the year 2022, the U.S. Census Bureau estimates that the median annual earnings for all workers (people aged 15 and over with earnings) was $47,960; and more specifically estimates that median annual earnings for those who worked full-time, year round, was $60,070.[2][3]

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    So your making your own definition up??? It isn't actually called welfare, the correct term is taniff. Welfare or taniff is something given by the government to someone for nothing in return at all. Im sure taxes are a sore spot for all here. I pay more in feds alone then most people make in a year.
    Can you help me with that term? I am familiar with TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families) but googling taniff has no reliable results.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

So i max out my roth 401k and a roth IRA. The percentage comes out of my over all income not just 40 hour base? Now how would I contribute? Companies would have to do more book keeping.

I feel property tax, sales tax, registration fees, even state taxes will sky rocket to make up the difference. Will this cause inflation? The middle class pays most the taxes.

Why would it take more book keeping? Your 401K would still come from your pre-tax (gross) pay, and your IRA would come from your after-tax (net) pay. Same same.

Standard deduction/itemization is based on your taxable income, including any overtime (currently). Presumably if your OT pay wasn't taxed, then it would be based on your 40 hour rate.

NoAdmiration

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Jeffersonville
    If he's working 70+ hours a week, more power to him.... I'll keep my 40hrs and salary, thanks.

Where's my tax break?
    No one is taking that choice always from you. But to be fair, if I were king, your income wouldn't be taxed either. Of course, if I were king the 1st thing I would do is dissolve the monarchy and hang the royals... hrm...

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

I feel property tax, sales tax, registration fees, even state taxes will sky rocket to make up the difference. Will this cause inflation? The middle class pays most the taxes.

Well don't get your hopes up or try too hard to figure out how it will work.....It ain't gonna happen :)

I am sure every company is different, but haven't heard of one that matches OT when making 401k compensation.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I will concede that if the law is changed removing tax obligations from overtime pay, it is not a benefit by the strict letter of the law. But the law itself is then inequitable. To me the benefit is someone earning say $100,000 including overtime will pay less in taxes than someone making the same amount with a 40 hour work week.

As implied above (post #16?), if it is a benefit to reduce taxes on OT, why not for all? Why should folks who have the opportunity to vastly increase their pay for additional labor deserve this special carve out?
    As a business owner you get breaks that hourly employees don't. I can't deduct my vehicles, office space in my house, mileage and write off purchases I make as business expenses.

That doesn't really seem equitable either.

Then again, given enough time, I bet most of us can find something we don't think is "equitable". That's the nature of thousands of pages of tax code.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The subtle odor of desperation is beginning to waft from Camp Trump.

Free IVF
    No tax on tips
    No tax on OT

Or maybe that's not desperation that I detect. Maybe it's the foul stench of lefty pandering smeared with donkey ****.
    Could you straighten that chair on the deck of the Titanic? It is just out of square with the railings.

Why is ripping a page out of the leftists playbook bad? We both know the likelihood and even if it did pass it is not a big deal compared to the big deal…

sapper83

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    Well don't get your hopes up or try too hard to figure out how it will work.....It ain't gonna happen :)

I am sure every company is different, but haven't heard of one that matches OT when making 401k compensation.
    They match 75cent on the dollar upto 6% of even our OT for union guys. Not company though. That match is ok but not great. But say I put in 20% they calculate that on my gross for the pay period so it changes each check.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    As a business owner you get breaks that hourly employees don't. I can't deduct my vehicles, office space in my house, mileage and write off purchases I make as business expenses.
    Yes, if I buy or rent a building for my employees to work in, or purchase equipment or vehicles for them to do their job, I can deduct that as an expense...and I am spending a dollar to save a quarter as they say.

sapper83

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    Valparaiso
    Why would it take more book keeping? Your 401K would still come from your pre-tax (gross) pay, and your IRA would come from your after-tax (net) pay. Same same.

Standard deduction/itemization is based on your taxable income, including any overtime (currently). Presumably if your OT pay wasn't taxed, then it would be based on your 40 hour rate.
    See post #57 my 401k includes OT. I have 4 catagories on my check for 401k where the funds come from.

Top Bottom