• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I was left a substantial collection of long guns. Does anyone know of an honest reliable dealer to sell them for me?
    Over in Muncie, pickings are slim but I would stop in and talk to the owner of Prairie Creek Pawn at
    701 S Burlington Dr, Muncie, IN 47302
    Phone: (765) 288-2844

Over in the industrial area at 5 points I think they call it.
    Nice guy the owner. Maybe take a few pictures to give him an idea what you have.

I would get a value and sell them here if possible, you will do better as others have said.

Jamichele

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2024
    She needs an expert to help her price them appropriately.

Sorry about your loss. Eventually somebody will come along and have a suggestion in your area (Muncie)
    Thank you. I’m not in Muncie,I am in Columbus. My dad was an avid hunter who never could pass up a gun lol. He told me to find someone to help me but I only collect handguns. I’m not a hunter so I know nothing about long guns like he did. He did leave me a list with all the names and serial numbers. (Thanks dad)

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I agree with the idea of getting an honest appraisal. That is honest work, so expect to pay a bit for that appraisal. It would be way more work for you, but doing the research yourself may get you better results. That is time consuming, obviously more so with a larger collection. Pick your poison. After the appraising is complete, you will do best (financially) to sell them here, individually. Again, that will require work on your part. But at least it is paid work. Sell here, get fair resale value. Sell to a re-seller, get 40-60% of fair resale value. Good luck. Oh, and don't forget to keep the one or two that will bring a smile to your face, and a happy memory to your mind, every time you touch them.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    If your in Columbus ya could make your way to Madison to gold and guns. They do alot of estate gun auctions so they have good idea of what a collection would go for. Theres also a private individual down this way who buys alot of estate gun collections as well.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I started the confusion over Muncie vice Columbus. The ZIPs are 1 number off (473 is Muncie and area, 472 is Columbus and area. What can I say, I look at a lot of USPS tracking between the hours of 0700 and 1530.

@Jamichele I'm very sorry for your loss. There are a lot of options for liquidating a collection. All have pros and cons.

You started down a very logical path: What do I know about this subject? Do I need to bring in a subject matter expert? I figure it's the latter since you are here conversing with a bunch of randos here at INGO (which is the most awesome-est gun owners site on the Interwebz.)

Finding a "trusted agent" (family member, a friend of your Dad, not someone who will walk in and make an offer) to help determine the value would be a good start. Example: Winchester Model 94 in .30-30 caliber. Is it a nothing fancy gun that's been in the woods many times, or a new in box John Wayne Commemorative model? There is a difference, about $5K in this case.

Quantity would be a big factor as well. Are we talking "Can haul the collection in a pickup" or "It will take 4-6 hours to auction this many."

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I would suggest talking with Chad at Defense solutions in Greenwood. I know he's handled a number of estates in the past. I've know him for years and he's, as the say, honest as the day is long. He can assist you with valuation as well as moving them to a new home. I think Defense Solutions also has a franchise location in Columbus and a store opening soon in Seymour.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    If your in Columbus ya could make your way to Madison to gold and guns. They do alot of estate gun auctions so they have good idea of what a collection would go for. Theres also a private individual down this way who buys alot of estate gun collections as well.
    Yes call Elijah, he deals with estates all the time, good guy, and has all the cool toys.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Thank you. I’m not in Muncie,I am in Columbus. My dad was an avid hunter who never could pass up a gun lol. He told me to find someone to help me but I only collect handguns. I’m not a hunter so I know nothing about long guns like he did. He did leave me a list with all the names and serial numbers. (Thanks dad)
    Dad was smart. Good for you.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    There's a website called truegunvalue.com that has been a great resource for pinning down approximate values for private sales. All you need is make,model,and type of firearm.

I lost my father 8 years ago and although he didn't have a "collection", I did keep a s/s shotgun as a memento and will pass that along when I go.

As echoed, so sorry for your loss.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    An individual can list firearms on gun broker, and you can mail long guns by US mail. It would take a little work, but thst would probably get you the most money. Disposing of a collection is not being a gun dealer

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    All good suggestions above. The most important thing I would add is don't be in a hurry. Look at all the options before you decide.
    If you are of any sentiment I'd suggest keeping one as a memory of your Dad. Maybe the one he used the most, or something of that effect. Keep in mind your children (if you have any) or nieces/nephews might be interested in some. I hear often the lament of the one they never should have sold.

Top Bottom