• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dancrichy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I'm looking into getting a new rifle and am not sure what to consider.

What do you think the pro's and con's of Bolt action, AK/AR, Lever Action are?

What caliber/set up is the most versatile in Indiana for hunting, shooting in general?
    Thanks

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If you have deer hunting in mind, you can go wrong with one of these, a Marlin 1894
    Marlin_1894_45_Colt_Camo.jpg

This one is chambered in .45 Colt, and I've taken three deer with it over as many years, each requiring but one shot.
    VERY effective deer medicine.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Well this is certainly a can of worms.

.44 or .45 LC are both great hunting rounds for Indiana. 300 BLK might also suit a couple of your categories, being suitable for deer hunting and in an AR setup.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Most versatile? A .22lr.

I'm looking into getting a new rifle and am not sure what to consider.

Think of guns as hand tools. What is the best hand tool? Well, it depends if want to cut a board or drive a nail, right?

What do you want to do with your rifle?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I like the Rossi M92 in .454 Casull.
    It will also run the hottest .45 Colt rounds you can load all the way down to "Bunny-Fart" cowboy loads.
    That .454 can knock a deer off it's hooves, and the lever action is sweet for follow-up shots.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Well this is certainly a can of worms.

.44 or .45 LC are both great hunting rounds for Indiana. 300 BLK might also suit a couple of your categories, being suitable for deer hunting and in an AR setup.

Wrongo
    The only way .300 BLK would be suitable in an AR setup would be in a pistol version.
    Any rifle with bullets less than .357 diameter is illegal for deer in Indiana.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Oldpink's suggestion of the Marlin 1894 is a very good one - unfortunately, I have not been able to find one that I could afford so I have two other rifles that I use for deer hunting / recreational shooting: the Rossi M92 lever action and the Ruger 77 bolt action. Both of these I have in .357 and they also can shoot .38 special. The .357 rounds are more expensive so I practice & target shoot for fun with the less expensive .38 special rounds. Then come deer season I use the .357 JSP for hunting.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Oldpink's suggestion of the Marlin 1894 is a very good one - unfortunately, I have not been able to find one that I could afford so I have two other rifles that I use for deer hunting / recreational shooting: the Rossi M92 lever action and the Ruger 77 bolt action. Both of these I have in .357 and they also can shoot .38 special. The .357 rounds are more expensive so I practice & target shoot for fun with the less expensive .38 special rounds. Then come deer season I use the .357 JSP for hunting.

Both of your suggestions sound good, especially the Ruger, but I'd go ahead and get the 77-44 (.44 Magnum/.44 Special) version instead.
    btw...the price on it is still more than I paid for my 1894 just over four years ago, $520 brand new.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Both of your suggestions sound good, especially the Ruger, but I'd go ahead and get the 77-44 (.44 Magnum/.44 Special) version instead.
    btw...the price on it is still more than I paid for my 1894 just over four years ago, $520 brand new.

Where did you get your Marlin at for $520? That's a good deal. Everywhere I looked they were sold out (I was looking for the .357 version) and gunbroker prices were all really expensive and that was for used ones (that was about 2-1/2 years ago).

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Where did you get your Marlin at for $520? That's a good deal. Everywhere I looked they were sold out (I was looking for the .357 version) and gunbroker prices were all really expensive and that was for used ones (that was about 2-1/2 years ago).

I bought mine from Cabela's, the Dundee Michigan store.
    It turns out that the round barrel .45 Colt version was only available at Cabela's.
    It was on sale for $50 off at the time.
    Sadly, they have discontinued the round barrel version chambered in .45 Colt.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The most versatile in Indiana would be a combo barrel shotgun, hands down. Good for anything from whitetail to tree rats, and lots of fun shooting clay birds in the off season.

dancrichy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Most versatile? A .22lr.

Think of guns as hand tools. What is the best hand tool? Well, it depends if want to cut a board or drive a nail, right?

What do you want to do with your rifle?

I'm looking to 1) Hunt, including deer and then possibly in the future farm pest animals (prairie dogs, coyotes etc.) and 2) target shoot. I have a 22lr but am looking for something slightly larger.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I'm looking to 1) Hunt, including deer and then possibly in the future farm pest animals (prairie dogs, coyotes etc.) and 2) target shoot. I have a 22lr but am looking for something slightly larger.

I'm assuming you are speaking of operating within Indiana?

In this state, for the time being at least, all those requirements are really challenging to meet in ONE firearm, unless you are comfortable sacrificing a LOT in one of those categories, or you shoot some really strange target competition.

For a "rifle" that is legal to hunt deer with, will still be accurate enough for smaller game at short distance (where the heck do you find prairie dogs here anyway?), and will not pound you into the dirt on a target range, you're probably going to have to go into one of the several custom "Indiana" cartridge rifles in a bolt action. Even then, the .35 -caliber restriction means that recoil will be moderate on the low end, and pretty rough on the high end, for a day at the range shooting paper.

In my opinion, you need to rethink the idea that only one gun is going to do all those things well.

-Nate

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    'm looking to 1) Hunt, including deer and then possibly in the future farm pest animals (prairie dogs, coyotes etc.) and 2) target shoot. I have a 22lr but am looking for something slightly larger.

My friend, it sounds like you are an excellent candidate for the .358 Hoosier.:D

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    That's where I was spoon-feeding, Kirk, but I just don't know what kind of 'target' you're going to shoot with one...? I mean, you COULD, as long as it's just informal, but it would certainly be a "unique" choice for a target rifle.

Do they have enough accuracy at 300 yards for varmint stuff? Again, not a normal choice, but could it do the job?

-Nate

dancrichy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I'm assuming you are speaking of operating within Indiana?

In this state, for the time being at least, all those requirements are really challenging to meet in ONE firearm, unless you are comfortable sacrificing a LOT in one of those categories, or you shoot some really strange target competition.

For a "rifle" that is legal to hunt deer with, will still be accurate enough for smaller game at short distance (where the heck do you find prairie dogs here anyway?), and will not pound you into the dirt on a target range, you're probably going to have to go into one of the several custom "Indiana" cartridge rifles in a bolt action. Even then, the .35 -caliber restriction means that recoil will be moderate on the low end, and pretty rough on the high end, for a day at the range shooting paper.

In my opinion, you need to rethink the idea that only one gun is going to do all those things well.

-Nate

Interesting, and all good info to know. Thanks. And for the farm stuff I was thinking about a friend who's father has a ranch out west that is fun to go shoot at. So what is your opinion if I wanted to just do deer hunting or smaller game such as coyotes?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Just an FYI if you were considering a Rossi (due to pricepoint) in 44 mag I have heard from owners that the twist rate of the barrel is insufficient for the heavier 44 mag bullets. I was told by a friend that he had 300gr keyholing at 75yds and some 240gr doing the same at 100yds. He said he had much better results loading his own. I have not heard about any problems with the 357mag rifles

Top Bottom