• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    So, the bug has bitten and now I want to own All The Guns! However, I do have a pretty tight budget. I have a 9mm, but am looking at getting a .22 handgun for target practice/plinking. I was thinking about getting a 22/45 as I've shot one before and liked it, but they are pretty pricey. What other .22lr models would you recommend.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    IF you have the extra cash, upgrade from a 22/45 to a MK3. pretty much the same gun except it has a metal frame instead of composite, and allows for replacing the pistol grips if you desire.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not about to give up my 22/45. Its one of my all time favorite guns. I just wish I hadnt cheaped out.

Mr.Softball

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Perry County
    I have a Neos that is super accurate and it was not very expensive and it already has a scope rail on it if you want to add optics. I have shot cheap ammo for plinking with no problems.

jtbriles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Outside the box
    Both have been mentioned already, but as far as inexpensive, the S&W 22A and Beretta Neos are fairly inexpensive, nice, reliable 22lr. Both are set up for optics. I prefer the ergonomics on the Neos, but that just me.

JLL101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    Hi, while I have not shot the S&W or Ruger mentioned previously, they consistently get good reviews from shooters and gun writers alike. I do, however, own and shoot a S&W 617 9 shot revolver. The gun can be a bit pricey but with persistence, the can be found at more fair prices at the gun shows or on line. (Taurus makes (made?) a good copy of the S&W 617 that used to sell for about 1/2 the price of the 617). I like that I can shoot both "hot" 22s as well as the low power, low noise rounds through the 617 revolver in my back yard. I know your thread is about handguns but there are several nice reasonably priced very reliable 22 long guns that are a lot of fun to shoot also, like the Ruger 10/22 semi-auto that can oftentimes be purchased for well under $300, especially used ones. As a youngster, I used to hunt squirrel with a very cheap Remington single shot with fair success with 22 shorts.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    No love for the Ruger SR22??
    I have one and it's a great 22 pistol and I use it for practice and for teaching others to shoot.
    I paid $299 for mine at the Indy1500 a couple shows ago.
    I used to own a Walther P22 but it was a piece of junk. The Ruger is hands down a better quality 22, IMHO.

wildddw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2013
    Huntington
    I got my wife a ruger SR 22. I must admit, it is a very fun gun to shoot!!! Runs bulk ammo like a champ!the walther p22 is supposed to be pretty much identical but comes with a threaded barrel.

wildddw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2013
    Huntington
    No love for the Ruger SR22??
    I have one and it's a great 22 pistol and I use it for practice and for teaching others to shoot.
    I paid $299 for mine at the Indy1500 a couple shows ago.
    I used to own a Walther P22 but it was a piece of junk. The Ruger is hands down a better quality 22, IMHO.

Just a side note I found this to be an excellent gun to train new shooters as well! But I will admit, Somehow my wife snapped the the pin that holds the slide to the trigger group. However, in Ruger's defense they sent us a brand new gun in about 2 weeks!

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    I bought a SR22 yesterday. My hands and the pistol instantly felt like they were made for each other. The second reason I bought the SR22 was because it eats any ammo according to reviews i have read. I showed the pistol to my buddy and he said he is going to buy one tomorrow. I will try to give a report after going to the range.

Top Bottom