• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45Cat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    I beleive "MOAR" is the technical term needed here. Please thank you.

Cat

Last edited:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    10:08 - Day 8

Copyright, Icarry2, WDY Media

The shriek you hear from the bathroom makes you run into the room to listen down the hatch and see what is going on. Trey has them all down there busy cleaning and you know that he wouldn’t intentionally let anything happen to your babies but still your motherly instinct knows that your baby was scared for real. As they joke and she comes out of the hole all dusty and dirty you can’t help but laugh as she scolds them for laughing at her by telling them they have to get out too..

As your youngest comes up and into the bathroom she tries to play it up to get some attention from you, you simply tell her to stop whimpering and wash up, time to get things done without the power..

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    10:25 - Day 8

The kids are all cleaned up and you take your turn, using the last of the water pressure to get a little hot water from the water heater to wash the grim off your face, neck and hands. The kids are all resting in the living room discussing taking a nap, but they decide to play a board game.

You decide to lay down and rest.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Man, I'm for a nap. Been at it all day and went to the range as well. Boys day. All the guns are clean and put away with the gear. Game is on in 45 min.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Sorry I have had a FUBAR project at work and now that it is done I am trying to recover from a nasty head cold that has found it's way into my chest.. I will get some more posted tonight..

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    14:07 - Day 8

The clatter of thunder wakes you. Not having any information on the weather sort of sucks. The thunder is accompanied by some severe lighting.. Standard protocol in the house is to throw open the main and disconnect the main incoming cable from the splitter block in the basement.

When you were a kid you can remember your father disconnecting the antenna coax cable off the back of his CB Base Amp and putting it in a mason jar and sitting there watching the arcs from the coax connector and the center copper. Growing up on a farm meant there were lightning rods on all the barns, the house and the silo’s and more than once you have seen the results of a bolt hitting a tall tree..

The thunder is almost continuous, the lighting seems far away but you can still hear the cracks.. The wind picks up, rain starts coming down very heavily, and the gutters and down spouts are filling up your tank which is almost full. The over flow will not keep up with the amount of rain that is falling, your system will over flow. You decide that you will have to go out and flip the diverters on all the down spouts to dump the gutters on the ground.

As you put on your rain gear the wind starts to really howl, your concern now doubles as there are a few branches on the trees which hang over the house which you intended to trim back but you were waiting on the ground to freeze to get your friends bucket truck in and do it the right way but with everything that is happening there is no way that is going to happen now.

As you go out your back door next to the garage and make your way to the downspout at the corner of your garage a bolt of lighting strikes a huge tree behind the Doctors house that thankfully is too far from your garage to cause any harm but you watch as it splits off a large fork from at least 30 feet up and it crashes into the Doctors garden shed.

You decide to speed up your efforts and as you fight the wind, blowing rain and slippers ground you make your way around to all of your down spouts and flip the diverters to let the water run out on the ground. Thankfully you were smart enough to invest in the $20 “Y” diverters when you installed the cistern system.

After you run around your house looking like a crazy person you make it back to your front porch. You stand there a moment watching the awesome power of Mother Nature when another bolt of lighting strikes the large tree on the corner of the one side street that your street has.

It is or was a large maple tree that has now been split in two and the larger portion has fallen into the fence and back porch of the guy who lives on the corner just a few houses North of Mr. Grey.

You think to yourself “great now those noisy dogs the guy has will be getting out.” They are always barking at all hours of the day and night, he leaves them run in the back yard and has been known to be gone for days and with everything being as it is you have no idea if he is even home.

Some have wondered how they were cared for when he is away but then they aren’t your dogs. It will only become your concern if they do indeed get out and threaten you or yours. They are big dogs and if he happens to not be feeding them or whatever then they will become an issue that you will gladly take care of by dispatching them.

You have to knock on your own door and wait for someone to unlock it and let you in. But then you went out the back door by the garage and not the front door.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    15:55 - Day 8

The storm has let up and it is only raining now as you reconnect to the grid by closing the main breaker on your distribution panel and don’t ya know it, it is on. You close the breakers for the water heater, pump and other circuits in the house and hope it stays on long enough to heat some water. As the lights come on Trisha starts cooking dinner on the stove but has the Coleman stove as a back up incase it doesn’t stay on as long as she needs.

Dinner is simple tonight, salad with the last of the lettuce, pork and beans with cut up hot dogs mixed in and little Shelly wanted some of her stashed Spaghettios with a toasted cheese sandwich.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Should it be considered abnormal to have us h a severe thunderstorm in winter? Then again I live in northern Indiana, where winter t-storms are extremely rare.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Should it be considered abnormal to have us h a severe thunderstorm in winter? Then again I live in northern Indiana, where winter t-storms are extremely rare.

Day 8 = 07 Sep

Not sure about up there but we had a thunderstorm roll through here a few weeks ago (late January) I think it was complete with lighting, thunder and high winds.. Our weather has been anything but normal lately..

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    Ya we've had our fair share of thunder storms here in Indy this winter! I enjoy the seasons, I wish it would actually snow during winter! Great work though, keep it comin!!

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Ya we've had our fair share of thunder storms here in Indy this winter! I enjoy the seasons, I wish it would actually snow during winter! Great work though, keep it comin!!

You might get your wish this weekend. (from a "dusting" to about 1" on this side of the state line is forcast. And it's heading your way. ;))

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I didn't mean to be too critical, I was just wondering if the plot was thickening. I remember something earlier about the enemy using electricity to their advantage somehow. Then there was this part about the electrical storm with extremely heavy lightening and thunder...

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    16:35 - Day 8

You laugh out loud a little as you reach for the burner control knob on the stove when the grid goes off. Your not a big fan of beans and weenies but the others like it and your little one loves her some “Sgettio’s” as she used to call them. As you serve up the food on the table Trey has moved a couple of candles so everyone can see to eat.

His ribs seem to be bothering him but you know he won’t complain about them, he has “felt worse pain” as he keeps saying and always says if he gets hurt. Your mother has always said “hold on to this guy, he is a hard worker and tough as nails” to which you always reply but with a heart of gold and soft in the middle..

As your family sits Mary starts grace. “Thank you for my mother, thank you for my brother, thank you for my sister, thank you for Trey and for everything we have, let those who need things find them, let those who deserve your forgiveness receive it and please stop those who are trying to hurt our way of life, amen”

You sit across from your partner with your children at your sides you close your eyes and say a little prayer to yourself. “God, thank you for bringing me this wonderful man who has put us all ahead of his own needs so many times, went the extra mile to ensure that we are cared for, provided for and happy even at the expense of his own wants, desires and happiness. Allow us all to survive this ordeal, grow stronger as a family and keep you in our hearts, amen” and as you open your eyes you notice Trey is staring at you concerned that something is wrong.

It took you a while to get used to his ability to sense when something wasn’t right. You have never been able to lie to him about how you were feeling. He always seemed to know when you needed a break, a back rub, your feet massaged or the night off from the duties of motherhood and as the woman of the house.
    You wink at Trey and mouth the words” I love you” to which he winks back and almost blushes.

Hardly two words are spoken during the entire meal, all that is heard if the clank of silverware against dishes, the thunk of a glass being sat back down after a drink is taken from it and the sighs of a filled belly from your children.

Life could be worse and is for many. You are thankful for your wonderful children and your “super” man..

Top Bottom