• indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    wow...just wow.

[focus and stay on target...er topic]
    I'm outta genny fuel, huh? Damn. No additive or drying agent? Damn.
    Alright, dig out the small siphon that I used to clean out my aquariums when I had 'em, and get ready to go visit that 4x4 in the ditch out by the highway.
    (I'm picturing my neighborhood in relation to all the posts so far)
    It's daylight out, so no need for lights right now. Shut everything down and hole up until dusk. Once we get to low light, grab a jerry can and the siphon, along with whatever kit I need for protection/concealment, and head for the truck. Hopefully, it's still there and the fuel tank is not empty from leaking out or someone getting to it before me.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Summarizing to keep the scenario rolling

From ICarrry's "Timed" Updates

22:25 Day 0
    everything went dead and you felt everything where you are shutter breifly.. You look outside all around where ever you are and see nothing out of the ordinary just everything is without power..

Cell phones have signal but no calls will go out, all circuits busy.. Same for land lines. Cable is out but satellite TV systems still work if you can power them. If you were able to turn on your TV and Satellite tuner no local channels are on the are, just snow on those channels.. You find that channels as far away as 200 miles are also out.

Radio's have static..

Ham radios are as if someone left a mic open, dead air..

If you look up there are no air planes in the sky you can see..

You hear sirens, police, fire, rescue... Not in your general neighborhood, but close enough to hear them..
    22:45 Day 0
    Lights come on for a very short time, long enough for the tv to come on and an emergency broadcast signal to fire off. You know that annoying tone that is supposed to wake you up.. A voice comes on and states the usual that this is the Emergency broadcast, blah blah blah but instead of saying this is only a test a different voice comes on and makes the following statement:

"This is the Emergency Management Agency of (whatever county you live in) and this is a special announcement for all persons who can hear this transmission. There has been an accident which has disrupted the power and communications grids and until further notice you are urged to stay in your homes and places of business unless medically necesary in which case report to your nearest trama center. Police, Fire and EMS may not be able to assist you at this time and or may take longer then normal to assist you. All roads in the area of this broadcast are closed to non-emergency vehicles so please stay in your homes or places of business until further notified."

And then the power, cable and radio's all go off again.. Static..
    23:45 Day 0
    lights come on long enough to hear the same warning on the radio and tv's as before. This time it warns that being out and about on the roads will result in ticketed and maybe arrested for impeeding an emergency vehicles during a declared emergency.

Scanners also come on but are garbled as if scrambled or encrypted.
    02:05 Day 1
    Choppers overhead, slow moving hover at 500 feet is what I hear, sounds like at least 2-3 in the general area. Can't tell exactly what type, just hear them and they are running dark..
    02:08 Day 1
    Chopper(s) fly off North -North East direction.. Took off fast, one lingered for a few seconds but then flew off in the opposite direction, South-South West.
    02:47 Day 1
    You are woken by the sound of a loud speaker coming from outside. It is a police crusier announcing that there has been an accident to stay in your homes and do not come out unless medically necessary. The "recorded" message repeats and the crusiers speed through the area is such that you clearly hear the recording at least two-three times.
    03:00 Day 1
    Lights, radio's, TV, SW come on and another broad cast..

A voice comes on and states the usual that this is the Emergency broadcast, blah blah blah but instead of saying this is only a test a different voice comes on and makes the following statement:

"This is the Emergency Management Agency of (whatever county you live in) and this is a special announcement for all persons who can hear this transmission. There has been an accident which has disrupted the power and communications grids and until further notice you are ordered to stay in your homes and or places of business unless medically necesary in which case report to your nearest trama center. Police, Fire and EMS will not be able to assist you at this time. All roads in the area of this broadcast are closed to non-military or non-emergency vehicles so stay put or you will be arrested and detained. Power will reman on for a very short time, prepare yourself for a lengthy power outage and stay put."

And then after 10 minutes everything goes off again.. Dark and Static..
    05:30 Day 1
    you wake to the sound of a chopper flying slowly about 500 feet off the ground, you can't see it, it's running dark.
    05:33 Day 1
    you hear a rumble and notice a military convoy driving past your neighborhood. You count, three Hummers, the first one is running head lights, the second and third are running side by side and have large antenna arrays of some sort on the top, then two larger troop transport trucks in single file and a civilian looking semi pulling what looks like a cargo container, two Hummers both single file with regular radio gear..

convoy is traveling in general direction of two choppers earlier, not as a crow flies but if you live on a north south road they would be traveling north, if you live on an east west road they would be traveling east.

no markings on any vehicles so no idea what "team" it is but if you notice there are two hummers travling side by side which is odd and they have strange "antenna" arrays mounted on them. Think big honkin radar looking non-rotating structures on the top, rear of the vehicle. Sort of a boxy looking dome..
    06:00 Day 1
    The radio's, TV come on and are simlcasting a news conference from the White House. No one is at the podium yet. The announcer clears his throat as a mic check and begins, "Ladies and Gentlemen, the Presi...." but stops as everything shutters and then the TV goes to the signal screen for a second then goes to snow and static...
    06:05 Day 1
    All comms still out including HAM, No power.

You hear your local "take shelter" siren go off as it would for a tornado.
    06:07 Day 1
    Your power comes on and with that so does your TV, radio, etc come on with warning tones..

A voice comes on and states the usual that this is the Emergency broadcast, blah blah blah but instead of saying this is only a test a different voice comes on and makes the following statement:

"This is the Emergency Management Agency of (whatever county you live in) and this is a special announcement for all persons who can hear this transmission. The accident that has disrupted the power and communications grids in our area were not isolated. Other situations similar have begun to happen all over the country. The Govenor has declared a state of emergency and has enacted a curfew for all residents. All emergency workers, Police, EMS, Firemen, National Guard and Military on leave are to report imediately to their respective HQ's or nearest post. All medical personel are to report to the closest hospital even if they are not employed by that organization. Be sure to have credentials on your person. Until further notice all others are ordered to stay in your homes or move to a shelter. Those at work are to go directly home or to the nearest shelter. All businesses are to remain closed. All roads in the area of this broadcast are to be closed to non-military or other law enforcement vehicles at 9 AM local time. The National Guard, State, County and local Police will be patrolling the major interesections and roads in and out of most towns anyone not supposed to be in transit as ordered will be arrested and detained. When more information is available it will be passed along, prepare yourself for a lengthy power outage and remain calm. If you are not equipped to shelter in place move imediately to the closest shelter."
    06:08 Day 1
    all comms go dead again.. Static, snow and dead air..
    07:45 Day 1
    Another set of choppers and another convoy going in the same direction as the last. This time you notice the choppers, it's a Blackhawk and two Apache's same configuration on the convoy, except the civilian semi was a sleeper cab..
    08:17 Day 1
    One of your neighbors who was stuck at work arrived home. You walked over to him as with most other neighbors and asked what he had seen and or heard. He stated the roads were empty for the most part. He came from the direction opposite the convoy went. He saw road blocks being setup, National Guard manning most of them but some State, County and local LEO's were also closing roads and setting up check points. They were using barricades and spike strips. The major intersections were having portable concrete "K-Rails" setup.
    08:53 Day 1
    You hear sirens at the closest large intersection to your home, someone must have been pulled over, sounded like a standard cop car siren. They must have started checking cars on the road early..
    13:15 Day 1
    You decide to venture out with the express purpose of gathering intel and returning home. Where do you go? What do you take?

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Summarizing Part II

14:30 Day 1
    During your venture out you check with some other near by neighbors and find that no one has a clue what is going on. All local businesses are closed and empty. The local fire house is empty, not a single engine or vehicle is in the garage or in the parking lot. You see a few people out of their homes but most go directly inside when they see you walking.
    14:47 Day 1
    On your way back to your home you decide to walk the way that takes you near a larger intersection. Taking a protected approach to the an area where you can see the intersection allows you to see two local police cruisers blocking it. The officers are in their cars sitting side by side obviously talking through the window to each other. Then all of a sudden you notice them both are started and then two officers get out of each cruiser in a hurry. One carrying rifle and one carrying a shotgun each from the two different cruisers. The comotion seems to be directed at your general direction. You stop moving and take cover. You hear a vehicle coming from behind you. You turn to see a large jacked up 4x4 diesel and you hear country music blaring. The officers motion for the truck to stop. It's driver, seemingly the only occupant of the truck floored the rig and with a belch of thick black smoke the truck accelerates towards the blocked intersection as you hear the music get louder.

The officers mothin again to slow down and stop, the rifle now being pointed at the truck and the shot gun officer deciding to take cover on the side of the road which the truck looks to be going around the blockage.

The truck doesn't slow down. The officer standing closest to the on coming monster motions to the rifle oficer to take aim, evidently instructing him to take out a tire. Then as the truck now traveling at least 50 mph gets within 100 or so yards of your position and maybe 300 yards from the the blocking cruisers. You turn your attention back to the officers, you see the front officer wave and drop his hand as you hear the crack of the rifle. The big truck swerves from the now blow out right front tire. OH NO, you notice that the rig is now heading in your direction. You take cover in a ditch near a storm drain. You hear another crack and then sqauling tires and a large thundering crash. The truck has rolled over on it's side in the ditch your hiding in not 30 feet from you with the music still blaring and the diesel slowly choking on it's own fluids as it stops.

You peek your head up just enough from behind the over grown area near the drain where you took cover to see three of the officers running in your direction. You turn and see the driver of the big truck moving around in the cab. You have limited cover but think you can get away from the area if you move now.

What do you do?

Stay put and hope to remain hidden?

Or

Flee in the opposite direction of your home?
    14:48 Day 1
    You remained hidden. The cops running toward you stopped just short of your position. You watched the rifle office take aim towards the truck and rip three rounds through the busted up windsheild at the moving traget in the truck.

You realize you haven't taken a breath in over two minutes. You slowly exhale and slowly breath in as you hear your heart pounding in your ears.. Then suddenly you hear the two officers who stayed back by the cruisers radio the two closer to you. The two closer to your position turn back towards the cruisers then take off running.

To the left you notice a mini van approaching from the west road from the intersection. It stopped about 100 yards back from the intersection. The driver, a woman, is instructed by one of the officers to put the van in park and turn off the engine and to stay put across one of the cruisers PA speakers.

You hear the van shut off. The officers at the intersection only equipped with their side arms slowly walk towards the van with guns drawn but pointing at the ground.

The two long gun officers reach the crusiers about the time the pistol officers reach the van. You hear the officers near the van order the driver out of the van. On the ground, prone, face down, fingers interlaced behind the head, feet crossed. You hear a baby crying. One officer covers the driver, a woman maybe in her early 30s with long blonde hair. The other officer walks to the passenger side of the van and with gun drawn tells the passenger to get out and do the same. From the passenger side comes a young female, maybe 14 or 15. Once she is on the roadway laying face down, fingers and feet set being covered by the same pistol officer the second goes to the side door on the passenger side. The crying baby gets louder as the officer opens up the sliding door.

BOOM! A shot rings out. The officer falls backward with a puff smoke. Not sure what to make of the sitation the other pistol officer points towards the van as if to indicate to the long gun officers to open fire. Neither do more then they were, standing at the cruisers with guns shouldered and ready. The baby crying probably keeps them from openning fire.

Agrivated, the pistol officer who hunches down in front of the van taking cover at the front passenger corner of the van and then radio's the long gun officers to approach. As they walk towards the van you decide to bail out and get away.

You slowly walk down the drainage ditch and as soon as your out of sight and ear shot you break south to cirlce back towards your home since that direction has the most cover.

You get home without any other incident, not seeing a soul. Once you get home you debrief with your family and clean up.

What do you do next?
    16:56 Day 1
    You notice a loud low tone sound outside your home. You go outside and look for the source. Your neighbors also are outside looking. The sound is so loud you have to cover your ears. Leaves are falling off the trees from the souund. Things are falling off your walls in your house. The ground is vibrating but not like a quake. You see no source for the loud sound. Then it stops.

Silence except for car alarms, and rustling of the leaves falling..
    16:57 Day 1
    The power comes back on. TV's go to signal tone and stripe screen, radios go to signal tone, then the Emergency Broadcast Signal..

"This is the Emergency Management Agency of (whatever county you live in) and this is a special announcement for all persons who can hear this transmission. The true cause of the power and communications disruptions has not been determined. The "sound" that you just heard is being investigated and until further notice you are ordered to stay in your homes. If you have a medical emergency move seek the nearest road block to assist you. Do not try to get the victum to a hospital. All roads in the area of this broadcast are closed so stay in your homes. Anyone found not in their home or on their property will be arrested and detained.
    Power will reman on for a very short time, prepare yourself for a lengthy power outage and stay put."
    17:17 Day 1
    the power and comms go dead.
    17:22 Day 1
    You decide to check your gear, take inventory of your supplies, prepare for another recon trip after dark. You want to know more...
    17:47 Day 1
    You find some of your generator fuel has been contaminated by water. You have enough fuel to run your generator for 36 more hours and then your out.
    06:46 Day 2
    You try to start your generator but it only sputters and dies. You thought you had a days worth of good fuel left.

What do you do?

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    Try to find fuel. Try to run it on fumes. Light candles. I have shot at moving targets before also (steel plates at 50 yards) I shoot once every 2 weeks. And if I saw 2 cops shooting at a truck it would seem to be a reasonable reaction to open fire at said cops( I understand it might have been early though). They were running towards me and where going to most likley do a mag dump into the truck. I have not set any bait for you to take also. Who said I play video games? I detest all things video games(There is your maturity:D and the fact that I don't call everything I don't like gay.). I also do have a minor annoyance with LEOS. I have met allot of great ones. There are exceptions though. The ones I meet that are bad are BAD. But most cops are good people. Sorry if I offended you. Thanks for not being mean about it and just stating facts. It earned you a postive rep. I would think that it would be anybodys instinct to open fire at anyone who is running toward you with a gun drawn AND has show you that they can and will use it against people. Thanks for the food for thought though! People are so polite on INGO!

Why don't you like LEGOS? Video games I understand, but with Legos, you have to have some creativity and use your mind and imagination to make things.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    @ Indytechnerd - +1 for your suggestion of finding fuel and thanks for the summerization and I will adopt your time and day stamp if you don't mind.

The point is that everyone should be putting things in the perspective of thier own specific neighborhood. Thats what the excersize is supposed to help with, action in and around your current AO.

To all others, I actually thought about tabling this thread for a while, I don't want to set anyone else pop off and get anyone else banned but then I thought " can't we all just get along?" lol Oh and I can handle the ribbing for the twist the senario has taken.. Anything is possible.. This is the internets..

Copyright, Icarry2, WDY Media

13:41 Day 2

The power comes on along with the radio and TV and the emergency message is the same as earlier, stay in, power will stay on for a bit, blah blah blah..

Someone in your house is developing a cold. Just a runny nose and tired. The temperature outside has dropped and it is raining. Todays high might have been 50 Deg F.

You have plenty of food and everyone has been staying well fed. Sanitation is tolerable, your not being able to run your generator means your electric water pump has been inoperable. You have dipped into your limited water storage to even flush the toilet. You are on city sewer and so far it is ok but with the rain the pipes may slow down.

Do you have a secondary method for human waste handling?

Last edited:

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    @ Indytechnerd - +1 for your suggestion of finding fuel and thanks for the summerization and I will adopt your time and day stamp if you don't mind.

The point is that everyone should be putting things in the perspective of thier own specific neighborhood. Thats what the excersize is supposed to help with, action in and around your current AO.

To all others, I actually thought about tabling this thread for a while, I don't want to set anyone else pop off and get anyone else banned but then I thought " can't we all just get along?" lol Oh and I can handle the ribbing for the twist the senario has taken.. Anything is possible.. This is the internets..

The power comes on along with the radio and TV and the emergency message is the same as earlier, stay in, power will stay on for a bit, blah blah blah..

Someone in your house is developing a cold. Just a runny nose and tired. The temperature outside has dropped and it is raining. Todays high might have been 50 Deg F.

You have plenty of food and everyone has been staying well fed. Sanitation is tolerable, your not being able to run your generator means your electric water pump has been inoperable. You have dipped into your limited water storage to even flush the toilet. You are on city sewer and so far it is ok but with the rain the pipes may slow down.

I burn it.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    @ Indytechnerd - +1 for your suggestion of finding fuel and thanks for the summerization and I will adopt your time and day stamp if you don't mind.Please do.

Since it's raining outside, I'll be filling barrels via the downspouts. There are 4 (I think) on my house, shouldn't take much time to get a couple hundred gallons of water. After that, we can bucket flush to get us a while. That way I don't use my good water.

As for the sniffler, time for some Vitamin C gummies and getting under blankets. Considering my wife's profession, we have a significant stock of OTC meds. I'll check for fever, dose w/ tylenol, and monitor the situation.

ps - did I get any diesel outta that 4x4 the cops shot up?

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

18:16 Day 2 You hear noise outside. You stay in your home but hear some yelling as you see two of your neighbors duking it out. You surmise that they are arguing over one of them supposedly stealing a gas can from the back of the others truck. These guys aren't preppers as far as you know and neither is a gun carrier from what you know. Both have generators and the one who is accused of stealing the can has ran his almost non-stop since the ordeal began. You see the one who was acused of stealing the can put the other down and start kicking him. The can owner is getting the crap knocked out of him. Do you stay put or help stop the fighting? By now other neighbors are gathering around.

Last edited:

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    18:16 Day 2 You hear noise outside. You stay in your home but hear some yelling as you see two of your neighbors duking it out. You surmise that they are arguing over one of them supposedly stealing a gas can from the back of the others truck. These guys aren't preppers as far as you know and neither is a gun carrier from what you know. Both have generators and the one who is accused of stealing the can has ran his almost non-stop since the ordeal began. You see the one who was acused of stealing the can put the other down and start kicking him. The can owner is getting the crap knocked out of him. Do you stay put or help stop the fighting? By now other neighbors are gathering around.
    I go out side with a handgun, and fire it up in the air to get their attention. (Using blanks of course.) Then tell them to break it up.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    I go out side with a handgun, and fire it up in the air to get their attention. (Using blanks of course.) Then tell them to break it up.

Haha whoa! Little drastic don't you think?

I would go outside to help break it up, but I would CC. If one neighbor ended up being seriously injured from the fight, that could possibly start a major "feud" between families/other neighbors. This isn't exactly the time to be fighting each other.

Thoughts on CC vs OC in this situation? After I typed that I'm thinking that maybe a little intimidation would be brought out by OC and all the neighbors seeing a pistol would prevent them from messing with me/my things.

(PS- love this thread!)

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011

I would go outside to help break it up, but I would CC. If one neighbor ended up being seriously injured from the fight, that could possibly start a major "feud" between families/other neighbors. This isn't exactly the time to be fighting each other.

Thoughts on CC vs OC in this situation? After I typed that I'm thinking that maybe a little intimidation would be brought out by OC and all the neighbors seeing a pistol would prevent them from messing with me/my things.

(PS- love this thread!)
    One is killing the other. I'm not shooting anyone am I?

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN

(PS- love this thread!)

I would OC in this situation. No telling how many people are going to be breaking into neighbors homes for supplies when they run low. Desperate people do desperate things. Maybe they would think twice about choosing my home as their target. I would also clue them in on some survival techniques to try and help them out.

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    ICarry......are you a writer? Because as I'm reading through this thread, I can see it all unfolding in front of me! Excellent use of wording. Very well done and extremely interesting.

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    Ok, OC does seem like it would have its positives in this situation! But I agree as well, ICarry, you could write a best selling novel! Can't wait for this story to continue!

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    "5-min." fiction is O.K. I guess ...

... but MY fiction trumps yours because mine IS based
    on confrontational realities Let the fact and the fiction
    overlay each other and the fiction will slide right off,
    leaving the reënforced reality for us to use. I said,
    " ... trumps yours ..." only because I know mine better.
    Your gift is in putting a good vocabulary alongside some
    very possible suggestions (or facts), and energizing all
    of us to our own probabilities. Good job. Keep at it.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

18:20 Day 2 You hear choppers.. The brawl your neighbors are into stops with the noise of a flight of choppers. Over head flying North-North-East are two little birds flying low and fast. Then a pack of 4 Apache Longbows followed by six Blackhawks. All black, all without tail numbers or markings and none running lights..

Just after the hawks fly over you hear the little birds light something up with their twin pod mounted M134's strafing something with a metallic ricochet sound after each burst.

Then rocket fire, probably from the second little bird’s rocket pods. Six total explosions followed by the same metallic sound, like a rock hitting a steel hull underwater..

Then you listen to the Longbows split into what sounds like two attack lines and rip off about 6 rounds each from their 30mm guns thumping at something. Each stop in the fire is followed with the same sort of metallic ricochet sound.

About the time the first Longbow starts it’s fire there is a loud sound then what sounds like a crash, then you see smoke rising up from the horizon to your North-North-East.

As you notice the neighbors all looking around towards the direction of the smoke you hear the tell tell sound of the Blackhawks flaring out fast into a hover.. You guess they are rope dropping the troops you saw hanging out the open doors.

SAW fire and M-16 bursts ring out, more 30mm thumps, more ricochet sounds.. Then that strange sound and another crash..

Then you hear the birds circle head back in your direction and just as they start to fly over head going South-South East the thump thump of mortars start clanking into metallic sounding explosions.

The scream of a jet is heard from east to west after some loud explosions of cluster bombs followed by an electrical arching sound like a welding arc only extremely louder.

Then as you feel and hear the report of earth shaking lazer guided 500 pounders and yet again the sound of aircraft flying over head going from the north to an eastern direction this time.

Then all goes quiet as the few leaves shaken loose by the shock wave of the large bombs float to the ground..

Last edited:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

18:31 Day 2 The fight picked back up for a second until the families of the two men pulled them apart. They knew the argument was far from over but for now it was settled.

21:32 Day 2 You decide to be nosey and scavenge for generator gasoline from the area in the direction of the explosions. Your trying to decide what to take. You have room for 6 items. You have a gas can and a siphon hose and have to pick four more items..

Choose your four from those listed.. Explain why if you wish or don't and let us wonder..

flashlight with red filter
    night vision monocular
    knife
    suppressed 22 pistol with 10 sub sonic rounds and 10 high velocity rounds
    9mm auto pistol with 17 rounds of 147 gr JHP's
    50' of paracord
    small wire cutters
    medium sized bolt cutters
    big straight screw driver
    hammer
    large crow bar
    1 quart of water
    CLIF Bar (your choice of flavors)
    camera
    street map of the area
    cheap bubble compass (which is real twitchy)
    backpack big enough for the gas can

You have 5 minutes to decide and your leaving.. GO..

Last edited:
    Top Bottom