• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I'd never have went outside as I'd be drinking whiskey and doing piles of cocaine with Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears, and Lawrence Taylor. If I saw anyone coming near my house, I'd be taking shots at them no matter who it was and I'd probably want to take up knitting or quilting to pass time. If we make it through this, I've got some amazing stories and some beautiful knit items and quilts to show for it...if not, it was a good time.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    04:20 Day 3

Copyright, Icarry2, WDY Media

Once home you fuel your genny which to your surprise isn’t empty. The better half remembered what you had said, never let it run completely out.. You plan to run it for an hour to cool your freezer and fridge, have your pump fill your system full of water, your water heater heat water so you can take a shower and allow your better half to make her coffee and cook a meal for everyone as you charge everything rechargeable.

You get the fuel in the genny and turn the radio on just in time to hear the group communicate at 04:30. And as your watch turns to 04:30:02 the radio comes alive, :check, check check” a voice calls out. Then a roll call, “Mr. Red?”, “Red” is the reply, “Mr. White?”, “White” is his reply, “Mr. Yellow?”, “Yellow”, “Mr. Blue?”, nothing.. Again, “Mr. Blue?” nothing.. “Mr. Purple?”, nothing.. Again, “Mr. Purple?” nothing.. “Mr. Grey?”, nothing.. Again, “Mr. Grey?” nothing.. “Mr. Red you have the comm.” As Mr. Red (Sarge) starts into his message, you write it down word for word. Nothing makes any sense but then it’s not supposed to without the codes. At the end of his message Mr. Red says “Fella’s I would like to introduce you to Mr. Green”, you are not sure if you should reply or stay silent. You quickly look through the code book to find the word hello, it’s garbage. You key the mic to say hello just as Mr. Red says, “Hello Mr. Green?” and you end up walking on his transmission to which Mr. White says “did not copy last” and Mr. Red says again, “Hello Mr. Green” and then you reply “Garbage.” You hear laughter and then Mr. Red (Sarge) say “you can say hello for know and report back when you have more.” You remember what Sarge said, “secure comms are for vital information”. You reply “Hello” and then the group says hello back in the same order as roll call. Then Sarge says “any other messages?” and pauses for about 5 seconds, no one spoke so Sarge says keep your powder dry and your butt safe..”

You lay down to rest, have your better half listen to the radio and write down messages. There seems to be 5 distinct men on the calls and never anything from Mr. Grey. He is your neighbor down the street. Your better half tries to de-code the first couple messages but it takes her a long time to find the words, write down the coded word and thus translate the messages, with them coming in every 45 minutes you wonder how long before you have the code book memorized.

You wake up and delegate the chore to your oldest child, now 17. She listens and writes everything down. When you wake up shortly after Noon there are tons of messages to decode and a few have been.

You find that there are 5 men communicating. Mr. Red sounds like Sarge, there is a Mr. White, a Mr. Yellow, a Mr. Blue and a Mr. Purple. You surmise that since the radio you were given is only a handheld it more then likely isn’t more then 4 watts of output. There is either a repeater system setup or all the men are close to you and that the equipment must be ex-military because all other civilian frequencies are either silent like someone left a mic open or are white noise static.

After an hour of reading the decoded messages you realize that no one has heard from Mr Grey, the neighbor down the road. You decide to be true to your word and try and find out his status. You also realize that Mr. Purple has issues with his septic system and is bucketing waste already. You aren’t sure if he is on the municipal system or his own.

Your leaving in 30 minutes to go check the neighborhood and see if you can find the old guy.

What do you take?

Last edited:

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    04:20 Day 3

Once home you fuel your genny which to your surprise isn’t empty. The better half remembered what you had said, never let it run completely out.. You plan to run it for an hour to cool your freezer and fridge, have your pump fill your system full of water, your water heater heat water so you can take a shower and allow your better half to make her coffee and cook a meal for everyone as you charge everything rechargeable.

You get the fuel in the genny and turn the radio on just in time to hear the group communicate at 04:30. And as your watch turns to 04:30:02 the radio comes alive, :check, check check” a voice calls out. Then a roll call, “Mr. Red?”, “Red” is the reply, “Mr. White?”, “White” is his reply, “Mr. Yellow?”, “Yellow”, “Mr. Blue?”, nothing.. Again, “Mr. Blue?” nothing.. “Mr. Purple?”, nothing.. Again, “Mr. Purple?” nothing.. “Mr. Grey?”, nothing.. Again, “Mr. Grey?” nothing.. “Mr. Red you have the comm.” As Mr. Red (Sarge) starts into his message, you write it down word for word. Nothing makes any sense but then it’s not supposed to without the codes. At the end of his message Mr. Red says “Fella’s I would like to introduce you to Mr. Green”, you are not sure if you should reply or stay silent. You quickly look through the code book to find the word hello, it’s garbage. You key the mic to say hello just as Mr. Red says, “Hello Mr. Green?” and you end up walking on his transmission to which Mr. White says “did not copy last” and Mr. Red says again, “Hello Mr. Green” and then you reply “Garbage.” You hear laughter and then Mr. Red (Sarge) say “you can say hello for know and report back when you have more.” You remember what Sarge said, “secure comms are for vital information”. You reply “Hello” and then the group says hello back in the same order as roll call. Then Sarge says “any other messages?” and pauses for about 5 seconds, no one spoke so Sarge says keep your powder dry and your butt safe..”

You lay down to rest, have your better half listen to the radio and write down messages. There seems to be 5 distinct men on the calls and never anything from Mr. Grey. He is your neighbor down the street. Your better half tries to de-code the first couple messages but it takes her a long time to find the words, write down the coded word and thus translate the messages, with them coming in every 45 minutes you wonder how long before you have the code book memorized.

You wake up and delegate the chore to your oldest child, now 17. She listens and writes everything down. When you wake up shortly after Noon there are tons of messages to decode and a few have been.

You find that there are 5 men communicating. Mr. Red sounds like Sarge, there is a Mr. White, a Mr. Yellow, a Mr. Blue and a Mr. Purple. You surmise that since the radio you were given is only a handheld it more then likely isn’t more then 4 watts of output. There is either a repeater system setup or all the men are close to you and that the equipment must be ex-military because all other civilian frequencies are either silent like someone left a mic open or are white noise static.

After an hour of reading the decoded messages you realize that no one has heard from Mr Grey, the neighbor down the road. You decide to be true to your word and try and find out his status. You also realize that Mr. Purple has issues with his septic system and is bucketing waste already. You aren’t sure if he is on the municipal system or his own.

Your leaving in 30 minutes to go check the neighborhood and see if you can find the old guy.

What do you take?
    M1 carbine, water, small amounts of food, and a sidearm.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Tired narrative.

This is a real slow-assed description of a teeners video game. Needs more real input from real situations from the field, not multiple-choice questions from game-niks. Boring.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    With all due respect, I started this scenario thread to get folks to think.

If more people expressed real world choices the story would unfold faster... This is supposed to be entertaining as well as a mental exercise. Trust me, this scenario is possible.. Thats all I will say about it.

Last edited:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

13:25 Day 3 – you are getting ready to leave carrying…..

About the time you go to leave the power and everything comes on.

TV goes to the bars, Emergency broadcast tones come on the radios and TV’s and the same old report, which is a recording of the previous messages states the same thing, stay home, no travel, power will be on for a little while, more to come..

13:40 Day 3 Power goes off..

You make sure everything is charged, filled, pumped full, heated, etc while you have grid power.

You walk to the end of your drive and notice that the two neighbors across the street are sharing a generator. Odd, you thought surely that someone would be dead after the fuel can incident, you think to ask your better half about it when you get back. No one is saying anything and you think it’s good that they are getting along. Hopefully it stays that way. Good to see people working together to get through this.

You look both ways down your road and see no one, hear nothing but a few generators humming along, a couple dogs barking, and a chainsaw..

The chainsaw is in the opposite direction as Mr Grey’s house. You choose to check out the chainsaw quickly to at least see who is using it.

You walk to the North keeping an eye out and checking your six as you walk the few blocks to the main road. You find that the retired Dr. a microbiologist who’s house sits on the main road and borders your back corner is out trimming trees. A real “Do It Yourselfer” he had rented a bucket trailer and was just working away in the tops of his trees while his hard working wife and older son cleared the trimmings.

65951110988098.jpg

You wonder about the older son, he has to be in his late thirties or early forties, maybe there to help? Maybe living there? Maybe going through a rough divorce and moved back home to wait out the wonderous legal drag that comes with a custody battle. You try to remember his kids. They must be in their teens by now. Not seeing them you surmise that they must be with mom.. A father separated from his children in a chaotic situation we are in must be rough. You think back to your children as you remember to check your six.

OH CRAP, there is a guy walking up behind you, 60 yards and closing, your crouched down behind a small bush at the corner of the peoples property on the corner, you aren’t sure he can see you. You see that is he openly carrying a long gun slung behind him muzzle up.

What do you do?

Stay put?

Reveal yourself to the walker?

Walk up to the Dr. cutting his trees?

Or what?

Last edited:

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Believe thou me, icarry2...

I see your point. I am taking notes!!! I know it can be real. It'll happen before Dec. 2012 around Indiana. Just stating my $0.02. Keep up the work. Please consider this scenario: this town has de facto divided itself into two sides of the tracks. The one side has rid itself of a BigBox store, every sort of fast-food place, a Mom/Pop convenience store, a major grocery chan, a small strip-mall, and more, simply by shop-lifting or thieving them into bankruptcy. When the fan gets hit, those type folk will take what they can, and burn the rest out. Then theuy'll head my way. It's a four mile walk for a flash-mob, but a lot of them will make it here. Their intent is to hit the BoxMart here, the liquor-store (which may already be ashes) and move in to the empty rentals on this side of town. Got a scenario for this?? Thanks.

Last edited:

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    I'd probably walk up to the Dr. Cutting trees and make friendly conversation.....all the while watching the guy OC the long gun.....

As soon as I can tell if he is a threat or not, my main mission is to get to Mr. Greys house. (BTW I wouldn't bring anything special with me. CC a pistol, extra mag, flashlight, knife....)

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    I'd grab my suppressed 22 and my small ruck sack containing a couple MRE's, a well stocked first aid kit, 1 bottle of gatorade, 1 bottle of water, flash light and the stuff Sarge gave me for Mr. Grey.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Ok, going to visit Mr. Gray...

According to the map it's 2 houses down, across the street, maybe a couple hundred yards. I'll take full size SD pistol + 1 mag (1911 variant), HD Shotgun (Rem 870) loaded with slugs plus #4 buck in the sidesaddle, and a small daypack containing a FAK and the goodies for Mr. Gray. Shotgun is slung and in the low ready position.

Now, on to the guy approaching the doc's house. I'm gonna scope him out pretty good. Young or Old? Is he out for a stroll or is he walking with purpose? How's he dressed? And, most importantly, what are his hands doing? Carrying anything except a long gun?

I can be up and covering him before he unslings the rifle.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

13:55 Day 3

You decide to stay put, the man walking down the road hears the Dr. cutting and doesn’t even notice you when he walks by your semi-hidden position.

He walks over towards the Dr. who stops cutting when he sees him walking up. The son acts like he is carrying a pistol behind his by reaching behind his back. The walker stops and raises his hands, they all speak a little and then the walker walks by an the Dr. goes back to work.

You decide to not bother them and turn around and walk back towards your house.

14:07 Day 3

As you cross in front of your house walking down the road you notice the curtains on your front door moving, you nod as you keep walking.

You see the neighbors across the street have chained their generator to both of their trucks. They are really sharing..

Last edited:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

14:15 Day 3

You approach Mr. Grey’s house and notice noise coming from the attached garage. It sounds like power tools. You walk up to the door and knock. The tools still running you knock harder, nothing.. Just the sound of the tools running.

You wait for about 10 minutes and the tools never stop and you start feeling out of place just standing around the guys garage door. You knock periodically but nothing. You walk to the front door and knock there, again no answer, you try to peek in the front window and can’t see anything, dark blinds are drawn.

After another 10 minutes or so you decide to abandon the knocking and walk towards your home.

14:43 Day 3

You get back home.. Get a drink of water and sit down to code a message for the group transmission at 15:00 to inform them of the situation with Mr Grey’s house.

15:09 Day 3

The group message has to be decoded but you gather that they want another recon of Mr. Grey’s house. You decide to take a nap before you go on your evening mission.

Your family is adjusting to cooking, cleaning, the special sanitation methods your using, etc. The children actually are excited to finish dinner and the chores of cleaning up the dishes so that they can play Uno by candle light.

Last edited:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

17:30 Day 3

Your better half wakes you up in a way only she can, tapping you on the forehead telling you to get up. You get up, wash up using a basin and pitcher that she made fun of you for buying at that garage sale but now you have the last laugh.

As you spread the towel out over the line in the bathroom you notice the smell of eggs cooking. You walk into the kitchen to the sounds and smells of breakfast food being cooked. You grab a fresh handmade biscuit.. She is getting better at using the portable propane stove oven you made out of scraps of steel you garbage picked from that customers scrap bin at work. You split open the still hot biscuit and put some bacon, cheese, ketchup, miracle whip and a pile of scrambled eggs on the halves making a delightful samich. The better half informs you that is all the fresh eggs you had. Dang, now powdered until you figure things out. You knew you should have ran to get more fresh eggs from the little old guy out on the country who used to sell you nice big brown farm fresh eggs for $3 a dozen. Sure they still had crap on them. But they tasted so good. You had researched and found out that fresh eggs, less then a week old have considerably less cholesterol then store bought month or two old bland eggs. You wish had just a couple chickens out back clucking out eggs..

You sit down at the desk where the radio sits to code a message to the group about your plan to recon Mr. Grey’s house again, this time looking more around the old guys house and if necessary breaking in to find out what the old guy is up to. The group wanted to know what the founding father of the group was doing and that he was ok. They wanted a SITREP and with you being the newest member of the group feeling that you owe them you felt obligated to do what you could to get the group their answers.

18:00 Day 3

You click on the radio just in time to listen to the role call. You wait your turn and announce that your on the radio. You wait till your turn to transmit your message while your oldest writes everything down, as you read over your coded transmission to be sure you have done it right you notice your better half is already decoding the messages the others have transmitted. They are all getting into this routine of working for the common good without having to be asked.

You transmit your message informing the group of your intentions. They wish you luck and you sign off as they always do.

18:12 Day

You get your gear together for your recon mission. You decide to take some sort of entry assistance tool. Not knowing the extent of the old man’s fortifications you lay out your options.

You have at your disposal***,

(List what tools you have personally to take or what you would like to have.)

Last edited:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA

20:25 Day 3 After dark you load up, you take your normal EDC load along with a small canvas bag with a small crow bar, claw hammer, screw driver, pry bar, lock pick set, head lamp with red filter, a small FAK and a couple bottles of water. You walk to the end of your drive, look around, see no one out. The guys across the street are running their generator. You turn and walk down the far side of the road towards Mr Grey’s.

As you get close to Mr Grey’s garage you don’t hear any power tool noise, you hear a generator sound coming from behind the house. It sounds like one of those little 2 cycle jobs but it’s muffled.

As you walk up to the front door a motion light comes on nearly blinding you. As your eyes adjust you hear the sound of a deadbolt lock being turned and the latch on the door click. You reach to uncover your sidearm and hear the clack, clack of a pump shot gun. You drop the tool bag and raise your hands.

Then in the blink of an eye the inside door opens, the screen door flies open and there stands a 5’ 9” grey haired old man with a grey beard pointing a shot gun right at your head.. He looks you dead in the eye and blurts out “who the heck are you?” and before you get to answer him he realizes he knows you, “your that guy from down the street aren’t you?” You stand there, hands in the air hoping the old guys tremors don’t work the trigger enough to end your life. “Yes sir” you reply, “Trey, Trey Jones, from down the street and across the road.” Mr. Grey lowers the shotgun and asks what your doing there? Before you can answer he asks you what is in your bag. You ask him if you can go inside and talk about it. To which Mr Grey responds I don’t think your going anywhere until you explain why you’re on my front porch at this time of night when no one has any power… You reply “do you not know what is going on?” to which Mr Grey states “Yeah, we ain’t got no power.” So you say very clearly, “Mr Red sent me over here…” Mr Grey pulls the shotgun up and away from you and says “it looks like rain” and you remember Mr Red told you to reply to this challenge with “Not till next Thursday” and Mr Grey then says, come in side and hold the door open, as you start to walk in he stops you with the shotgun and says “get your tools”..

Mr Grey follows you in, as you step into the house you just stand there until he walks in and shuts and locks the door. As soon as the door is locked he reaches behind you and flips on the lights. As you stand there in a modest family room you notice the house décor. Old world country.. You ask, “are you alone?” to which Mr Grey responds since 2003 when my dear Mildred passed, God rest her soul.” As you say your sorry to hear that the old grey bearded man shuffles past and motions for you to come with him. You wipe your feet on the “Welcome to the Grey’s” and you realize his name is really Grey… Some means of deception is being truthful. As you follow the old guy he says come this way, “set your tools down over there” pointing to the kitchen table. You detour to set your tool bag down ad notice him walk over past the pantry door to what must be a back room or door to the basement… “Come on sonny..” and as you walk through the door way you notice that it is a basement entrance.. Down the stairs you follow the old guy who is a little slower on stairs then on flat ground. He flips on a light, walks around the corner and you hear more light switches being flipped on. You walk around the corner at the bottom of the stairs and see the old guy spinning the dial on an old safe sitting along the back wall of what must be a half basement may be 20 feet wide and 20 feet deep.

The safe is as tall as the old guy and about 3 feet wide and as the old timer spins the dial to the last number you hear the tumblers clank and he spins the round lock handle. As the old guy grunts to open the door he turns to see that your standing far enough away to have not been able to see the combination, you blurt out, “I didn’t look” as the old guy says “if Sarge, I mean Mr Red sent you here it won’t matter, we all use the same numbers for combinations.. Our old unit number and date we all met.” You must have made a face explaining that the idea of using a set of numbers common to everyone must make sense for a group and the old dude says “we ain’t dumb, just old.”

Now it all makes sense, the group must all be the same age, old vets from what it looks like, probably Vietnam.

As the old guy checks his shotgun and puts it in the safe you look around and wonder how come this member of the group seems to not be as setup as Sarge. The you hear the old guy say, “come on if your coming” and you watch as he unlatches a latch and then grunts as he pulls the inside of the safe out and rotates it open out of the way. Now your seriously intrigued.. You walk up to the safe as he disappears into the darkness of the safe.. You pause as he says come on and you hear pull chain click and a light come on. With seeing the area lit up you decide to follow him. You duck through the safe and watch as he reaches through and pulls the inner compartment in and then the safe door shut. With a spin of a dial you hear the safe doors bolts slam into place..

As the old guy walks into the dark again to your left and with the click of another pull chain the expanse of the room is illuminated..

Same kind of setup as Sarge, a hidden fortification under the house. Looks like a regular house but isn’t.

Then Mr Grey walks over to you, “well I guess if Earl sent you over here this must be more then a power outage.” “I’m Gerald Grey” as you shake hands with the man you notice a good strong grip, double shake and then lets go, a gentleman’s hand shake, a Marine’s handshake… You start to introduce yourself and Gerald say “I know who you are but not why you’re here, please tell me what is going on.”

Last edited:
    Top Bottom