• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indianabc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2011
    Good Morning! I'm starting to reload, actually tonight. I received a Progressive 1000 press and visited the 1500 over the weekend to get help setting it up and some questions answered. I must admit, I have no clue what I am doing, but hey that hasn't stopped me yet!

My first question is about reliability. I have always frowned on reloads because I see so many failures at IDPA with reloads. In reading the "FAQ" in this section it mentions that reloads are more reliable than factory but I rarely have a problem with factory rounds. How do I assure my success with reloads? Is it using the best powders or primers or both that make the biggest difference?

Brett

Marksman
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    ECI
    My suggestion would be make 10 - 20 test rounds of the calibers you are going to reload. Then try them out in your firearms to make sure they work properly. When I first started out, I made 150 rounds of 9mm only to have to go back and pull all of the bullets because my handguns would not cycle. I had used the lowest powder charge according to my reloading books but that wasn't good enough.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Stop.

Put everything away.

Get a reloading manual - something like ABC's, Lyman 49, Lee M.L. #2...

Read cover to cover. Read again.

At that point you'll probably have enough familiarity with the procedures of reloading that you'll be able to form reasonable questions and understand the answers provided.

There are a whole lot of factors at play regarding the failures you've seen - the largest factor being the idiot pulling the lever.

I went two full years loading and shooting centerfire rifles before I ever purchased a single round of factory ammo - and that ammo was purchased to shoot over a chrony and compare with what I was loading for myself.

Reloading is not difficult but it is very detail oriented and not having a full understanding of all the ins and outs will get you into a heap of trouble quickly.

Brett

Marksman
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    ECI
    You will also need a good relaoding manual. Also try and watch some videos on the net. I watched probably 50 videos on the internet before I got the courage to make my first round.

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    I second the advice about getting a reloading manual. I bought the Hornady, Speer, and Lyman manuals before I ever loaded metallics. I had previously loaded shotshells, but still researched metallic reloading before I started. Some time spent up front reading will save you many headaches later. I would stake my reloads against factory ammo any day. I have been loading ammunition for 25 years and have never had a round that failed to fire. I have had some that wouldn't cycle in some guns, but I always load 5-10 for function checking and looking for signs of overpressure before I load a bunch. Don't start out at the max load and don't start out under the starting load in the manuals. Another piece of advice-Keep accurate records when working up a load.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    One thing I sugest when starting out. Once you have your dies set up. Seat a bullet in a case with no powder or primer. Then chamber the round 4-5 times in said firearm. 1. It allows you to check for bullet set back, to test for proper crimp. 2. It lets you know that the round will properly chamber. 3. It will let you know the round will properly eject. When range testing rounds, I'll normaly make a batch of 50. Test those rounds then make any adjustments if needed. Always checking for signs of under or over pressure. Out of all the rounds I have loaded, I have had 3 soft primers that took two strikes to ignite. Take your time, read as much as you can, and ask questions. Get into a habit and stick with it. As others have said, get a good reloading manual and read it 2-3 times.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    More information. What caliber are you reloading? Do you have a reloading manual? Have you ever been around anyone that reloads, or is there someone close to you that can help out? If you are close, I will even help out with your setup, and have a book or 2 you can use.

Haymaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Jennings County
    I haven't been reloading long myself but just like what everybody else has suggested, read and understand the reloading manuals, find a friend or mentor for a demo and follow the other hints and sound advice given above. One of the most important things is to Pay Attention to what your doing once you start the reloading process. Good Luck!

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    The Lee Pro 1000 press can be a challenge to get set up correctly. Like others have said, stop, put the tools away until you COMPLETELY understand what you are doing. You say that you have no idea what you are doing but that hasn't stopped me yet. The mistakes you make MAY stop you, or those around you permanently. This is not a hobby to half ass.

Might I suggest taking a class somewhere? ProFire Arms offers a fine class on intro reloading that is a bargin. Check for reviews here on the sight.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...upply_inc/108364-reloading_class_reviews.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...loading/187790-january_reloading_classes.html

indianabc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2011
    Thank you everyone for the concern. I did receive a little instruction on setting up the 1000 from the booth at the 1500. I'm a learn by doing type guy so while I do have the ABC book, I really need to be hands on.

The class sounds like it would be perfect for me but my schedule is pretty tight. I would love to meet someone that is using the 1000 near me. I'm just on the outskirts of Lebanon.

I will be doing .40 S & W to start. If I really like it, see a savings, and DO NOT HAVE FAILURES then I would like to do .30 Carbine round.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Stop.

Put everything away.

At that point you'll probably have enough familiarity with the procedures of reloading that you'll be able to form reasonable questions and understand the answers provided.

There are a whole lot of factors at play regarding the failures you've seen - the largest factor being the idiot pulling the lever.

I went two full years loading and shooting centerfire rifles before I ever purchased a single round of factory ammo - and that ammo was purchased to shoot over a chrony and compare with what I was loading for myself.

Reloading is not difficult but it is very detail oriented and not having a full understanding of all the ins and outs will get you into a heap of trouble quickly.

You will also need a good relaoding manual. Also try and watch some videos on the net. I watched probably 50 videos on the internet before I got the courage to make my first round.

These two things I've highlighted plus find someone experienced locally and see if you can watch

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Thank you everyone for the concern. I did receive a little instruction on setting up the 1000 from the booth at the 1500. I'm a learn by doing type guy so while I do have the ABC book, I really need to be hands on.

The class sounds like it would be perfect for me but my schedule is pretty tight. I would love to meet someone that is using the 1000 near me. I'm just on the outskirts of Lebanon.

I will be doing .40 S & W to start. If I really like it, see a savings, and DO NOT HAVE FAILURES then I would like to do .30 Carbine round.

I'm a hands on learning type of person myself. Reading a manual will give me an idea of what's supposed to happen, but I'll still feel confused, so I know where you're coming from. Luckily I have a friend who has been reloading for years and he was there to help me out. Some of it was still trial and error, but they were the minor things like how much to chamfer, trim, etc. (chamfer and trimming is for rifle only)

If there is nobody around you that can show you and help you out, I highly suggest making the time to take one of Andrews classes. Mainly because even if you happen to get the press set up correctly, you'll still be confused when you start making rounds. If you're confused while you are making them and aren't sure whether you are doing it right then there is no reason to try and shoot them. You'd only be putting yourself and anyone around you at risk.

Try and get a weekend free and meet up with someone who is willing to help you. Make the drive because it will be well worth it and I know there are people here who can and are willing to help you get started. :)

Bang-bang

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Indy/Homeplace/Carmel
    Some people say just read a reloading book a few times. I say read the book and take a class or 2 it will help. (IMO) I took Andrews classes and got the book too. I have just started and reloaded 1000 45 acp with only a slight set up problems and no bad ammo. be smart, work with some one who's done it before, you will have questions, and that person can answer your questions faster than you can look up the correct answers. As Andrew says " Call me with any questions!" (then again some people just know everything)

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    Stop.

Put everything away.

Most defininately what he said. +10000000
    This is one pursuit where being anal pays off. :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1: I've been reloading for 25years or so, 15 of it on a Dillon and learned to ALWAYS look in the case while it's indexing to make sure there is powder in that case.
    Always. Check. For. Powder.
    Seems like everytime I didn't check every single round I'd have a ftf or a squib load.
    Always. Check. For. Powder.
    Did I mention OCD? Being that way with your reloading will greatly reduce the possibility of jams and such.

indianabc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2011
    Well I am still struggling getting set up. Everyone will be happy to know that I called Aszerigan and he is going to give me a lesson. I'm looking forward to it!

Top Bottom