Newbie here needs advice on 22 LR rifles - for son as gift :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    My father bought me a Marlin Model 60 when I was 12 or so. The new Marlin's are crap from what I've heard(quality has gone down hill)....but good for you, old one's don't hold their value very well. 'If' you had 50 posts, there was a Marlin for a 100 bucks in the classifieds earlier this week.

I would recommend a Marlin 60 in that range. The old ones are solid guns...but don't have the popularity of the 10/22. I have never seen a 10/22 sell for less than 175 or so used even. You can buy a new one for 200.

I see some others above...I don't know much about them though. Good Luck!

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I found a Winchester Wildcat for my daughter. Got it used in excellent condition and didn't pay much more than that $100. It's a mag fed bolt gun that had a cheap scope on it. Very accurate and a lot of fun. I prefer it over my Ruger 10/22

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    I received a private message a moment ago, but since I have not created 50 posts or comments, I am unable to reply there. So, here is my response for, "Dross."

dross said:
    Are you a single Mom? Do you or your son know anything about guns, or does he have someone to teach him? Does he have a place to shoot?
    That is a bit sexist don't you think!

Answers are: No, yes - handguns, me, and 13 acres of secluded wilderness. Satisfied?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I received a private message a moment ago, but since I have not created 50 posts or comments, I am unable to reply there. So, here is my response for, "Dross."

That is a bit sexist don't you think!

Answers are: No, yes - handguns, me, and 13 acres of secluded wilderness. Satisfied?

So you ran in to ONE of the sexist....wait until you come across one of the turds or the crazies! :laugh:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    two more points from me:

I'll second the bolt action on two fronts, more discipline as stated, as well as MUCH easier to reach your target price.

Also I would disregard the mail order suggestions. FFL transfer fees from the local dealer will price the rifle out of range since those fees are 20-30% of the budget. So stop suggesting internet sources guys! Including shipping she'll need to find a rifle for $50!

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    two more points from me:

I'll second the bolt action on two fronts, more discipline as stated, as well as MUCH easier to reach your target price.

Also I would disregard the mail order suggestions. FFL transfer fees from the local dealer will price the rifle out of range since those fees are 20-30% of the budget. So stop suggesting internet sources guys! Including shipping she'll need to find a rifle for $50!

Thank you Cameramonkey :) I am definitely leaning more towards the bolt action style now, for training and the lower price ;)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Marlin is a quality rifle for the money.

I'd suggest calling/visiting Bradis. They had quite a few bolt actions in stock when I was there last week. (and usually do) They are southwest of indy on 37 at Camby Rd (a couple miles outside of 465) They typically under price the big box stores.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I cannot speak for him, but maybe Dross was trying to be nice and offer information on where the boy could find training help if that was not readily available. I kept helping out with the Firearms safety training for the Scouts (and 4H) years after my son was out of the Scouts just because I saw so many homes where firearms enjoyment, hunting and safety were not available.

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    I cannot speak for him, but maybe Dross was trying to be nice and offer information on where the boy could find training help if that was not readily available. I kept helping out with the Firearms safety training for the Scouts (and 4H) years after my son was out of the Scouts just because I saw so many homes where firearms enjoyment, hunting and safety were not available.

Perhaps Leo, but one can across as nice and helpful and still be sexist. I am pretty sure there is no way around this one. Other than his comment, everyone has been REALLY helpful in offering suggestions and advice for the best rifle for the money - and inexperience of my son. I am quite pleased :)

DFM914

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    You can get a Savage Mark II bolt action .22lr at several Walmart's around Indy for $143. It is a little tack driver and has quite the reputation for a low- priced rifle. Hope you find a good rifle for him.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I can't express to you enough on how dependable the 10/22 is and the availability of parts and accessories for them.
    My kids handle theirs with ease even when they were miniature people.

Dross may be right. I've seen girly-girls shoot. :):

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    Thank you again everyone - I think I am going to look for a bolt action through an owner, as well as pay a visit to Bradis to see their selection. I TRULY do love the idea of the bolt action rifles :)

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    I can't express to you enough on how dependable the 10/22 is and the availability of parts and accessories for them.
    My kids handle theirs with ease even when they were miniature people.

Dross may be right. I've seen girly-girls shoot. :):

Oh, but you've never seen THIS girl shoot ;)

Top Bottom