Newbie here needs advice on 22 LR rifles - for son as gift :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    My first gun from my dad was a 10/22. I don't think you can go wrong with most other options though. I shot the hell outta mine then it sat for years. Then I upgraded it (new barrel, scope, stock, and barrel) and its like its brand new again! I love shooting it. Whatever you find him he will be thrilled to death! ;). You may be able to save a bit if you find a nice used rifle.

askeen289

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    I would have to agree with the Ruger 10/22. This was my first gun and my son's as well. They are very reliable and there are a lot of accessories that can be found from stocks to barrels to magazines. The price is a little higher but well worth the money. I also have a Marlin Model 60 but you are a little more limited with accessories and the magazine can't be changes because it uses a tubular magazine however it is a reliable and fun gun to plink around with and maybe a little close to your price range. Good luck with your search for such an excellent Christmas present and Merry Christmas

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Good luck on your search and awesome gift for your son. I bought a Remington 597 for my son's 13th birthday and its still his favorite rifle! I am interested to find out which one you wind up buying for your son.

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    Thank you so much everyone - I am going to look at a vintage, like new, Marlin 60 and a 795 this afternoon! I will post what I ended up with later today with a photo, if I can figure out how to attach one here. :D

baldwina

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2013
    United States
    I bought a Savage Rascal for my son this past weekend for a little over $200.00. It is a single shot so he will have to make every shot count when shooting, thus making him a better marksmen. I did find a Marlin Model 60 in a pawn shop in great condition for $100.00.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Thank you so much everyone - I am going to look at a vintage, like new, Marlin 60 and a 795 this afternoon! I will post what I ended up with later today with a photo, if I can figure out how to attach one here. :D

Lori, you+your Son will really like the Marlin 60. Most all around will say that the 60 has more accuracy STOCK out of the box than the Ruger 10-22 does. There are a lot of NICE aftermarket stocks that the 60 action can be set in also..Bill.

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    I found a vintage 75 Marlin 60 - gorgeous condition for $125.00. I am thrilled with it so far, already put a half dozen rounds through it and it was like going through butter!!! I don't yet know about it's accuracy yet, as I was only checking out it's functional ability. One thing is for sure, I think I am going to have to get another one - for me ;)

Ottboys3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Indy
    image.jpg

Ithica Model 49

I say well done! Even though I'm a fan of single shot .22's for a child's first gun! Teach the importance of 1 Shot, at all things in life!

:yesway:

Last edited:

Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    Yes, I agree with you. I was really leaning more towards the 795, but after considering he has owned a BB gun and a pellet gun, as well as shooting other 22 rifles and my handgun, I decided to go with the 60. He is almost 15 and is really responsible for his age, I feel content. This is a really nice gun, I am beyond excited to give it to him! :)

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Yes, I agree with you. I was really leaning more towards the 795, but after considering he has owned a BB gun and a pellet gun, as well as shooting other 22 rifles and my handgun, I decided to go with the 60. He is almost 15 and is really responsible for his age, I feel content. This is a really nice gun, I am beyond excited to give it to him!
    C:\Users\tkackows\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png

You're a GREAT mom! Would you like to adopt me? Seriously, you’ve made a excellent choice with the Marlin Model 60.

Now, get your son (and yourself and the rest of your family) to an Appleseed and learn how to really shoot that rifle. Loaner rifles can easily be provided by the AS Instructors if you don't yet have enough rifles for everybody. You can learn more about the Appleseed program (and find out the latest schedule) here … Project Appleseed Home

To really get the most out of that Model 60, you’ll want to invest in Tech Sights ( Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories ), and a GI type sling (web or leather). You can buy a web sling when you purchase the Tech Sights. The sight adjustment tool is o.k., but you can move the dials with other stout point objects like a golf tee.

Here’s a sample of what your son will be able to do with that Model 60. This is my Rifleman’s Challenge target shot in September 2013 with a stock Marlin Model 990L sporting Tech Sights and a GI web sling with a 50 year old man behind the trigger (I've still got work to do). The 990L is the same as a 60 … Marlin just likes to change the numbers of their rifles.

View attachment 24193

You can read more about the Rifleman’s Challenge on their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/RiflemansChallenge ).

FWIW, I’ve only been shooting with Tech Sights and AS techniques since August 2013. The stuff really works.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Good choice on the Marlin 60. :thumbsup:

I had a vintage Marlin when I was his age. However, I traded it to my dad for a plastic-y Rem. 522 "jammaster". In the end I got back that Marlin once I got back into shoot sports.

They'll be plenty of time for him to get a Ruger later in life. Honestly, Ruger's are not the be all, end all of guns - out of the box they're not that great. What makes them really good is all the goodies you can buy for them.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Follow this link to see what kind of groups a Marlin 795 can do with Tech Sights, a web sling, and somebody who really knows what they're doing behind the trigger.

Appleseed shoot at Nashville December 7-8

The Model 795 is the detachable magazine version of the Model 60 ... the guy doing the trigger pulling is an Appleseed instructor who is more than willing to help you learn to do the same.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I'm going to second TJ's advice. You will want to get him some rifle marksmanship instruction. Definitely check out a Appleseed. I can promise you that you won't find it any where as cheap. We teach history and heritage along with the rifle marksmanship that made US soldiers the most feared thing on the battlefield in ww2. On top of that we also help build a awesome foundation if gun handling skills (though it sounds like you have already done a great job with that). The great thing about most young shooters who come to appleseeds is they haven't formed a bunch of bad habits already. So they learn the correct way right off the bat and they are usually very successful.

Very awesome gift gift you got your son. It will help you two make lasting memories for years to come!

Top Bottom