Newbie here needs advice on 22 LR rifles - for son as gift :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lori

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Hancock County
    I just want to say thank you again to everyone who offered some much needed advice and direction. I am SO excited for him to open this!

Merry Christmas everyone :)

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I'm sure your son is going to be happy with his new gun. I got my first gun at 16. Since you're in Hancock County, may I suggest a family membership at Fall Creek Valley Conservation Club just out of Pendleton. They have all kinds of training programs including NRA Basic Rifle Marksmanship. 10,25,50, and 100 ranges w/covered firing positions. They also shoot trap on Tuesdays and Sundays. They have a youth trap league w/ loaner guns and instructions. Price is not prohibitive. Great place to shoot and most everyone I've met there has been great.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    When I was 9 I got a single shot 12g for a birthday gift, and a box of shells.

Took me about 10 shots to figure out how to hold that thing without it kicking my brains out.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I was hoping it was an update and not a 50 post bump. :(
    I expect it when I see an old thread pop up, although this one wasn't as old as they usually are.

My first rifle was a Model 60 (30 years ago from my mom who purchased it at a hardware store for $59) and I got the same thing for my son on his 13th birthday.

d30carls

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Cicero, IN
    you could go with a marlin model 60 for not much more 120-160 usually they are great guns i have one that my grandpa bought for my dad back in the 70's and it still runs like a champ very accurate

Patriot3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Kokomo
    if not a ruger 10/22 then I would get the savage mark 2 bolt action rifle. The 10/22 is the better rifle, but for the price the mark 2 is pretty good

Top Bottom