• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Who's arguing? I'm only stating you and benny were wrong in your assumption of me missing the point. But like I said continue on.

BoR, do they do common sense checks when they do a background check? I've been at the range and asked to go change lanes because of neighbors I wasn't comfortable being around with loaded firearms yet they owned one. And why the other three or four that mentioned insurance reasons is there no doubt cast on them? BTW, I didn't say go in and just say something, re-read it. I said go in and if they say something.:dunno:

Nope, still missing it.

The point of this thread isn't to play games and take chances on which businesses will act upon their signs. The point is why would you want to patronize an establishment that automatically thinks you're an irresponsible idiot that doesn't know proper gun safety?

Bill made it perfectly clear that it is their right to have the sign as well as it is your right to test it. Some of us choose to support businesses that don't feel the need to disarm us before entering.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Nope, still missing it.

The point of this thread isn't to play games and take chances on which businesses will act upon their signs. The point is why would you want to patronize an establishment that automatically thinks you're an irresponsible idiot that doesn't know proper gun safety?

Bill made it perfectly clear that it is their right to have the sign as well as it is your right to test it. Some of us choose to support businesses that don't feel the need to disarm us before entering.
    Now that....was well said.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Applied Ballistics has a "no unholstered/uncased guns" policy. If you unholster, you leave. If you need to test-fit a holster, you go outside or onto the range to unload first (or take the holster in with you.) Simple matter, though, with those "couple of morons"... They leave. Problem solved without having to make everyone play to the lowest common denominator.

It's amazing the loyalty you generate when you actually respect your customers. I'm about to re-up my annual membership at Applied for the third consecutive year in a couple of months. They've earned my loyalty and respect.

Blessings,
    Bill

Agreed...and well said. Applied Ballistics attitude is a common sense one. I have seen some real yokels waving guns around, and as pointed out in this thread, it has even been some employed by a gun shop.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It's not a matter of breaking laws. I know it's legal to enter past that sign. The problem is that they are telling me I'm not welcome, and I don't go places that tell me I'm unwelcome if I have a choice. As my last post indicates, I have choices.

And yes, Schafe, that is the place. For those PMing and repping to ask for the name or if it's worth it to go there, my answer would be no, it is not, but of course, that opinion is based on the sign. I have no clue as to their stock or their customer service.
    Go to one of the other places I named.
    As a mod, I'm partial to Applied Ballistics, as they're a site advertiser.
    Personally, I'm partial to them because they've always done right by me.

Hope that helps!

Blessings,
    Bill

I gotta agree. Stan and the crew at AB have always shown me patience when I want to fondle the beauties. And always willing to answer questions, and chat, with big smiles. And they are all the utmost in professionalism.

Tis where I choose to shoot, and to purchase my guns from, whenever possible.

May even be there shooting tonight, if schedule allows.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Either I'm really bad at looking for those signs or I've never seen one.

Edit:

Crap, Whittaker has that sign? I guess I'm just bad at looking for them, because that's my go to gun shop and I've never seen the sign and carried right on in.
    There's a hand written sign on the door that says something to the effect that all guns must be unloaded and checked at the front desk (BTW, what the hell does Daryll weigh anyway?!? I mean that chair has to have shocks made for a Freight Liner.)

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I OCed in Whitaker's this summer, didn't see a sign. Thanks for the heads up for Buck's and Jake's. I will let the guy I know that works there know next time I see him at the range.

I haven't seen another sign at any other gunshop in Evansville.
    I'm not exactly sure what the sign at Whittakers says so for everyone's best interest I'd better head down there tomorrow and make sure.:D I do have a shotgun and pistol I don't use that I may want to trade on another.........GLOCK.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    There's a hand written sign on the door that says something to the effect that all guns must be unloaded and checked at the front desk (BTW, what the hell does Daryll weigh anyway?!? I mean that chair has to have shocks made for a Freight Liner.)

I don't even want to guess. That is the largest office chair I've ever seen.

Have you ever asked him where something is located? He turns the chair backwards and scoots along with his feet. :):

I'm not exactly sure what the sign at Whittakers says so for everyone's best interest I'd better head down there tomorrow and make sure.:D I do have a shotgun and pistol I don't use that I may want to trade on another.........GLOCK.

Don't trade there. Sell them outright in a private sale and use the money to buy what you want at Whittaker. There trade-in deals SUCK. I tried to trade in a very gently used (perfect condition) CZ75 SP01 for a new Glock 19 and I was going to have to pay over $250 to make up the difference. Instead I sold it online and made money on the deal.

(BTW, there is no "s" on "Whittaker":D)

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I don't even want to guess. That is the largest office chair I've ever seen.

Have you ever asked him where something is located? He turns the chair backwards and scoots along with his feet. :): Kinda remind you of grandpa in "Witness." Seriously, that guys heart is taking a terrible beating (no pun intended.)

Don't trade there. Sell them outright in a private sale and use the money to buy what you want at Whittaker. There trade-in deals SUCK. I tried to trade in a very gently used (perfect condition) CZ75 SP01 for a new Glock 19 and I was going to have to pay over $250 to make up the difference. Instead I sold it online and made money on the deal.
    You shouldn't have been wearing the "Please screw me" sign on your forehead:):

(BTW, there is no "s" on "Whittaker":D)
    It was possessive but I forgot the apostrophe, smarty pants.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I was going to say the same. I have been to 5 or 6 of the gun stores around the Indy area in the last week, every one of them had a sign on the door say no loaded firearms.

So why point the finger at this one store? What gun store do you typically buy from that does not have a similiar sign?

Midwest in Mishawaka is much bigger than the average gunstore. No sign.
    ZX in Goshen. No sign.

I wouldn't go into a store that had that sign posted either.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I never see these signs as I don't look for them. I just walk in.

If any store asks me to unload my holstered handgun, I'd laugh, exit and not return.

If the gun stores I've been in did have a sign, it obviously didn't apply to me.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Nope, still missing it.

I didn't miss a thing it's pretty clear. But continue. I haven't been to a shop around here that didn't have the sign up

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    An apology to Whittakers. I went there today and the sign on the door states "all weapons must be checked at the desk." I asked one of the clerks if that meant we weren't allowed to carry in there. He looked surprised and said, "Sure you can carry here. That sign means to have your weapon looked at as you come in if you are going to trade." I was wrong and want to let everyone know that they are carry-friendly. But, why the confusing sign? To me "check" could mean turn it in at the door.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    No offense intended but..........

Sure, we all have the right to choose where we shop. But, I sometimes wonder if it ever occurs to some folks that the property owners have rights, too. Your rights do not over ride anybody else's rights!

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Sure, we all have the right to choose where we shop. But, I sometimes wonder if it ever occurs to some folks that the property owners have rights, too. Your rights do not over ride anybody else's rights!

No one said anything about them changing (at least the OP didn't). Of course our rights don't override theirs, that's why we shop elsewhere.

Hell, Bill even said that he won't even go in to look around as per the business' request. The business can only post the sign an enforce it if they see a weapon, they don't have the "right" to make it illegal to carry.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Top Bottom