• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I OCed in Whitaker's this summer, didn't see a sign. Thanks for the heads up for Buck's and Jake's. I will let the guy I know that works there know next time I see him at the range.

I haven't seen another sign at any other gunshop in Evansville.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Well, since the clearly stated desire of this thread was derailed and ignored, yes, the business has been named.

I can either pull the thread now and prevent this from having any effect on them or I can leave it up with the CLEAR statement below:

If at any time, this business chooses to rethink the decision they made and remove the sign, I will remove this thread from INGO.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Well, since the clearly stated desire of this thread was derailed and ignored, yes, the business has been named.

I can either pull the thread now and prevent this from having any effect on them or I can leave it up with the CLEAR statement below:

If at any time, this business chooses to rethink the decision they made and remove the sign, I will remove this thread from INGO.

Leave it. We are their potential customers. Maybe they will see what hypocrisy does to potential sales.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Making a big deal out of nothing. It may be posted for insurance or it may be posted for the safety of the other customers. Just because it's a gun shop and everyone in there may have a LTCH doesn't necessarily mean every knucklehead in there has enough common sense not to unholster and ND. Walk in, if they say something pop the mag out and put it in your pocket or just leave and tell them why. If they don't say anything then you know it's just there for effect.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Making a big deal out of nothing. It may be posted for insurance or it may be posted for the safety of the other customers. Just because it's a gun shop and everyone in there may have a LTCH doesn't necessarily mean every knucklehead in there has enough common sense not to unholster and ND. Walk in, if they say something pop the mag out and put it in your pocket or just leave and tell them why. If they don't say anything then you know it's just there for effect.

Great job of completely missing the point.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I get the reason on both ends...Im all for just leaving things in your holster. But of course, then they have to worry about the guy who pulls it out for service or to see if another holster fits..blah.blah.blah. BOOM

There are always a couple morons that ruin it for everyone else. Like everything in life I suppose.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

I would imagine that the one in the chamber is the only one they are worried about...But like Rookie said, you are totally missing the point.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    BTW, if those signs are to protect us from morons, I'd be perfectly fine with a sign saying, "any weapons you plan on unholstering for any given reason (selling, service, trying out a new holster, etc) should be unloaded before going beyond this point." But to make me disarm before entering a gun shop? Pffft, give me a ****ing break.:rolleyes:

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Great job of completely missing the point.

I would imagine that the one in the chamber is the only one they are worried about...But like Rookie said, you are totally missing the point.

No I didn't miss the point. You both did, but continue on.

And yeah the one in the chamber is the one they may be concerned with but if you pop the mag out and you're not the one worried about pulling it out of the holster then you shouldn't have an issue.

Maybe go down the road and get a tin foil hat, I'm sure they come in extra large

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Leave it. We are their potential customers. Maybe they will see what hypocrisy does to potential sales.

If I remove it, it will be because they already saw that and fixed it. :)

Insurance? No, not buying that one. All those other stores have insurance, too, and none of them have stupid signs that make their customers unwelcome.
    Safety? No, not that one either. If it's unsafe for all those "knuckleheads" to be armed there, then it's unsafe for them to be armed anywhere... I don't know about anyone else, but that sounds to me very much like what Sarah Brady and her ilk say.
    Walk in and say something? No. When they've made it clear they don't want me there, I respect their rights enough to honor their wishes, and I'm not willing to disarm to tell them anything. They will either get enough business from those who don't carry such that they don't care what we think, change their policy, or go out of business. Which one they choose is up to them.

Blessings,
    Bill

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    No I didn't miss the point. You both did, but continue on.

And yeah the one in the chamber is the one they may be concerned with but if you pop the mag out and you're not the one worried about pulling it out of the holster then you shouldn't have an issue.

Maybe go down the road and get a tin foil hat, I'm sure they come in extra large

Well gee whiz, can't argue with that!

:rolleyes:

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    BTW, if those signs are to protect us from morons, I'd be perfectly fine with a sign saying, "any weapons you plan on unholstering for any given reason (selling, service, trying out a new holster, etc) should be unloaded before going beyond this point." But to make me disarm before entering a gun shop? Pffft, give me a ****ing break.:rolleyes:
    I agree, a sign like that makes sense. The sign at the Bloomington MC Sports is like that. 'Any firearm brought in for service or trade must be unloaded before entering.' Or words to that effect.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Well gee whiz, can't argue with that!

:rolleyes:
    Who's arguing? I'm only stating you and benny were wrong in your assumption of me missing the point. But like I said continue on.

BoR, do they do common sense checks when they do a background check? I've been at the range and asked to go change lanes because of neighbors I wasn't comfortable being around with loaded firearms yet they owned one. And why the other three or four that mentioned insurance reasons is there no doubt cast on them? BTW, I didn't say go in and just say something, re-read it. I said go in and if they say something.:dunno:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I get the reason on both ends...Im all for just leaving things in your holster. But of course, then they have to worry about the guy who pulls it out for service or to see if another holster fits..blah.blah.blah. BOOM

There are always a couple morons that ruin it for everyone else. Like everything in life I suppose.

Applied Ballistics has a "no unholstered/uncased guns" policy. If you unholster, you leave. If you need to test-fit a holster, you go outside or onto the range to unload first (or take the holster in with you.) Simple matter, though, with those "couple of morons"... They leave. Problem solved without having to make everyone play to the lowest common denominator.

It's amazing the loyalty you generate when you actually respect your customers. I'm about to re-up my annual membership at Applied for the third consecutive year in a couple of months. They've earned my loyalty and respect.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Who's arguing? I'm only stating you and benny were wrong in your assumption of me missing the point. But like I said continue on.

BoR, do they do common sense checks when they do a background check? I've been at the range and asked to go change lanes because of neighbors I wasn't comfortable being around with loaded firearms yet they owned one. And why the other three or four that mentioned insurance reasons is there no doubt cast on them? BTW, I didn't say go in and just say something, re-read it. I said go in and if they say something.:dunno:

Common sense checks? Nope. They don't do those when you buy a computer and sign up for internet service, either.

If you asked to change lanes at the range, seems to me you showed common sense. The only person you can change is yourself. That's what you did with your request, and it's what I did by leaving and by posting.
    No doubt cast upon others who mentioned insurance? Well, I quoted your post, but the reply fits any who mentioned it. No harm meant; I'm sure most people believe that's the reason for these things (At one time, I know I did!) but INGO is about discussions and learning. The "insurance" myth is merely being debunked. It's not personal at all.

I read your post. For me to go in means I have to disregard their sign or I have to disarm. I choose to do neither.

Blessings,
    Bill

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I think I'll side with BoR on this one..

The sign should say "Please note: If you choose to unholster your weapon, rest assured we will unholster ours in response."

:draw:

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Applied Ballistics has a "no unholstered/uncased guns" policy. If you unholster, you leave. If you need to test-fit a holster, you go outside or onto the range to unload first (or take the holster in with you.) Simple matter, though, with those "couple of morons"... They leave. Problem solved without having to make everyone play to the lowest common denominator.

I don't disagree with you or their particular policy. I actually like that policy. Just merely stating why many gun stores do it. Including the two I used to work at.

Top Bottom