Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    What should be done to recruit new shooters into the shooting sports? I want to see ideas, concepts from existing competitive shooters. I would like to hear from those thinking about competing but have not done it yet? What is holding you back? How do we get younger shooters involved? When I say younger I am talking 15-23 years old.

Well???????

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I think personally its somthing you just have to do once. I was forced to watch a few times by friends that did it and until I finally shot a course (2 years later) I wasn't interested. I've haven't really competed yet, only the ACT League but that'll change next year.

Maybe have a group of volunteers that would host a range day that goes through basics and shoot a course a few times. Maybe this could be done with paper and Airsoft guns inside somewhere? :dunno:

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Well, guilting people into it doesn't work (e.g. BigCraig and multi gun).

Telling folks who are more interested in tactical applications of their equipment that matches are good ways to run their equipment hard doesn't work (e.g. posting in Tactics & Training (which should be renamed the Tactical Training forum, btw).

What does seem to work are the classes that ACT puts on. Open houses like Atlanta CC does are also doing some good. FNS is a gateway to other shooting sports, but I don't think it is on the level one would think (although I am seeing a lot of new faces at USPSA matches that I attend, which isn't many these days).

What would be a good move on the part of Indiana shooting sports is to rent a table at the 1500. Have video(s) running, pamphlets to hand out, a range directory, people there wearing guns and gear used in Steel Challenge, USPSA, multi gun, IDPA, ICORE, SASS, etc.

I know what initially got me interested - seeing it on TV. Early 90's seeing the old Pro-Am challenge with TGO and Jet Dionisio duking it out; Doug Koenig, Bruce Piatt, and others at Bianchi on American Shooter. That's what got me interested. Most press coverage of our sports, well, just stinks.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I have only been involved with USPSA for about 2 years . I came to it through this board and ACT. I was looking for some instruction after being absent from shooting for many years . I found that and more right here.
    As for getting younger shooters involved , it has to start with the parents . Those under 18 are going to have to have financial support to get involved in these sports . I have been trying to get my daughters interested and I think they are less intimidated by things like steel challenge and FNS. My daughters ,20 and 17, both have part time jobs and they work most of their hours on weekends so that rules out most of the matches for them.
    It's not an easy fix , shooting teams affiliated with the schools would be a great start but that is probably not going to happen anytime soon.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    If it weren't for Riverman67 signing me up for ACT courses and leagues, I probably would not have done it. 2009, was a little tough to get to a lot of matches due to family issues. However, 2010 I jumped in feet first and shot nearly every weekend. It is now a permanent fixture in my calendar. I can probably count on one hand the number of club matches I missed this year. Every weekend there is a USPSA match somewhere from April through November (you can also find a few in March and December matches).

I preach to whoever will listen. I have only been successful on getting a few out to FNS. I do have a couple of friends that are interested in USPSA, but they have family involvements that sometimes gets in the way. Sometimes, they just have lame excuses:dunno:.

I know ACT puts on a great competition course, beginner and advanced. ACT Leagues are also a great way to learn the sport. I also hear that STI38super puts on a great course as well. Hopefully I can take advantage of his knowledge in the coming months.

I have noticed that our numbers have stayed stagnant in the high 40's and low 50's this past year. We only have a handful of younger shooters. I believe we only have one teen that competes with us regularly. We only have a few 20 somethings out there.

From my personal experience, I was intimidated in 2009. I knew that my skills would not be up to par to compete, and I still have quite a ways to go. Besides the few instructional courses, had zero experience in competition shooting. It was real frustrating seeing my name at the bottom of the finishing order on a weekly basis. However, a little "p" word, listening to those around me, and trying to get out of my own head (still a work in process), my finishes have went from dead last to middle of the pack to upper third in less than 6 months. I'm not contending yet, but as soon as I get rid of those Cluster F#$^ stages I'll be there.

I know MCF&G and ACC have booths to attract new members at the 1500. Should we have a general shooting sports booth? Perhaps a general e-mail account where a few experienced members can answer questions (time consuming for those that participate)? What about a day at various clubs that allow new shooters only, maybe in early March? There will be a bunch of new RO's that will need some experience at this time as well. Some of the "old" guard can be there to help instruct and encourage the new shooters.

How many times have we offered equipment and guns for those that want to come out? Personally, I don't know of a group of people more willing to help out a fellow shooter. With that, I'm not sure what is keeping some people from coming out.

I've babbled long enough. I hope there viable information and ideas in my rant.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I think some new shooters(of any age) can't take the ego hit. How many times have you heard, "I thought I was a good shot until I shot this?"

Then there is financial backing. This isn't a cheap sport to get good at. You have to put rounds downrange to get better and those round cost money. The guy that loves the sport but just can't do much more than buy a couple 100 round boxes of ammo a month and hit one match isn't going to get better and isn't going to come back due to frustration and continuing to stay at the bottom.

I've tried to talk guys into coming out, show them videos etc. Then they want to know how much your gun cost (and my gun is CHEAP compared to an Edge), how many mags you need, how much they cost, mag holders, etc. Even though I tell them they can get started fairly cheaply.

I offered a guy I work with a free ride except for the entry fee. A day on the range to get the idea, my gun, my gear, my ammo, pick him up and bring him home and he balked at a $20 entry fee. And I work with him, he can afford $20. That and he would miss some of the football game.:dunno:

And there is the group who's wives frown on that kind of expenditure and time away from home. Married guys....;)

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Many good points here.

I think we need to make a concerted effort in 2011 to get some competitions covered by TV. We got a Terre Haute station to a WVPPS match this year. We do need more of that.

I want to find a way to recruit kids. There are plenty of kids out there who would like to try shooting and have parents who can afford to do it, but have no idea that shoot sports exists. TV is likely the key.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    At Friday Night Steel, we don't charge for shooters under the age of 18 if accompanied by a paying adult. It's really helped boost the number of younger shooters, and has made our event more family oriented. I wish more of the shooting events in Indiana would follow our lead in an effort to get more youth involved. We actually saw an increase in paying shooters (Moms and Dads) likely because it was now cheaper to bring their kids along and participate.

Captain Caveman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    I have been tinking about competing for a little while. Maybe sone IDPA but what im interested in is long range rifle competitions. I havent been able to get a whole lot of information about this.

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Advertise more mainstream
    TV
    Radio
    Newspapers
    Get shooting back into 4H
    Get into the schools do some meet and greets show some videos
    1500 set up a booth just for the shooting sports non club related
    State wide mailers
    Start inviting well known people to come and shoot with us like the govenor, senators, congressmen, anybody that could possibly reach alot of people, or TV personalites I have a rig they can use.
    There are endless numbers of ways to reach more people it just takes money. Im willing to pitch in is everybody else?
    How about start or own Shooting Sports advertising fund. For the shooting sports get the gun stores involved and the sponsers & buisnesses on Ingo

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have been tinking about competing for a little while. Maybe sone IDPA but what im interested in is long range rifle competitions. I havent been able to get a whole lot of information about this.

litlratt (sp?) on here would be a good place to start.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I like shooting for money but want affordable and fair equipment rules. It just seems a lot of times I am competing against a guys wallet.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm 27 years old, and am now just wanting to get more involved in shooting sports.

I've never even heard of shooting sports before I found this site. And I assume that is a large reason for many other people. They don't know it exists. I think the tv and gun show booth is a good idea to start.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    FNS, which I found via INGO, was my gateway to USPSA.

I hit the ACT league up a few times after I had shot some matches, but by then, I was already hooked.

I think many promoters still aren't keeping up with the times....mainly using Facebook. Jake is good about it, which is why he's great as our section coordinator.

You want to reach the youth, you have to adapt to using the tools they use.

Just as an example, we broke in 3 brand new shooters yesterday. A husband and wife who shared gear and a lady who is a friend of Josh Ward's. Checked my Facebook today, and there she was with a friend request. I accepted then shot her the link to the Women of the USPSA facebook page.

Back to Coach, how about something like a Junior league? We have a few 11-14 year olds that would benefit from getting started early.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I like shooting for money but want affordable and fair equipment rules. It just seems a lot of times I am competing against a guys wallet.

That's where the Production and Single stack divisions shine.

Got a Glock, Beretta, Sig, M&P, XD or pretty much any other 9mm.... you can shoot against others with the same type guns.

Same goes for Single Stack, we've still plenty of Taurus 1911's in action.

There's also a revolver division.

So many times people see the Open and Limited guys running and gunning, they don't realize there are divisions for us mere mortals and our carry guns.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Biggest barrier for me and one other person I know of, Sunday Competitions. Can't make church and still shoot on Sundays. I believe this is one of the reason I was drawn to Steel Challenge, the Sat Competitions.

Beans&Bullets

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Terre Haute, IN
    I've taken some young guys I play golf with and we've set up and run some "stages at the range" with their .22 caliber guns. Just for fun and it's gotten into their blood and might encourage them to get into USPSA. Maybe we could do some "unofficial .22 shoots?" Just a thought, please don't execute me for suggesting such a thing, just throwing ideas out there.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Biggest barrier for me and one other person I know of, Sunday Competitions. Can't make church and still shoot on Sundays. I believe this is one of the reason I was drawn to Steel Challenge, the Sat Competitions.

I had the same problem, but most churches these days have services SEVERAL times a week.

Now I'm out in God's country with many like minded people on Sunday mornings.

Top Bottom