• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    A used gun is a super good value, however, you need to touch, feel, hold and be able to break down the weapon. Start by visiting a gun range or make/visit with reliable and firearm knowledgeable friends. Don't be afraid to ask questions and learn. Most folks will let you shoot their firearm. The benefits are, you learn about a firearm and then your able to apply your knowledge to your firearm purchase, very important if your buying used. I just purchased a Glock 23, 2004 used model. I inspected, look and felt just like a Glock. Took my new to me Glock home with a grin from ear to ear. The next day I took it apart and found a broken, trigger pin, bent trigger pin (long), and a broken locking block. It was immediately fixed and trigger springs and springs upgraded. Make sure you know what your purchasing, and look here with regards to recalls, good source.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    Another is that a snub nosed revolver needs a lot shooting time because of the short sight radius and more recoil when compared to a semi-auto.

I wouldn't worry about site radius of a snubby if you are anticipating primarily close range, like a 5-foot shot, like the front seat to back seat. You will probably just be point shooting in that case.

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    Pistols tend to be set up to be ran right handed but can be ran left handed with some adjustments on the shooters part.
    I have a feeling that I will probably shoot right-handed in most situations even though I am left-handed. I write and throw left-handed, but I do pretty much everything else with my right.

If I do find that I am most comfortable with a right-handed pistol, but I want to keep it in a holster clipped to my driver's door pocket while driving for extended periods of time (I drive for Uber on Friday nights), is it the worst idea in the world to have it holstered while loaded and with the safety off? On a scale of 1 (not an issue at all) to 10 (are you stupid or something?), where would this fall?

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I have a feeling that I will probably shoot right-handed in most situations even though I am left-handed. I write and throw left-handed, but I do pretty much everything else with my right.

If I do find that I am most comfortable with a right-handed pistol, but I want to keep it in a holster clipped to my driver's door pocket while driving for extended periods of time (I drive for Uber on Friday nights), is it the worst idea in the world to have it holstered while loaded and with the safety off? On a scale of 1 (not an issue at all) to 10 (are you stupid or something?), where would this fall?

Not an issue at all. Full out 1 IMO. Some handguns don't even have safeties (to an extent. There are mechanical safeguards built into the pistol...you just don't have to manually engage or disengage them).
    While driving, mine will sometimes reside in the holster between the driver seat and the console with no safety.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I wouldn't worry about site radius of a snubby if you are anticipating primarily close range, like a 5-foot shot, like the front seat to back seat. You will probably just be point shooting in that case.

I think that's the problem. Why cover only one "if" and only one "probably" and ignore the rest? To follow that logic 'should' result in you having no firearms at all. Good grief.

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    Not an issue at all. Full out 1 IMO. Some handguns don't even have safeties (to an extent. There are mechanical safeguards built into the pistol...you just don't have to manually engage or disengage them).
    While driving, mine will sometimes reside in the holster between the driver seat and the console with no safety.
    That's good to hear (and I understand that this is just one opinion). I just don't want to be faced with a situation where I need my weapon, but can't turn off the safety or load it quickly because it's in my left hand. That would not be good.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    That's good to hear (and I understand that this is just one opinion). I just don't want to be faced with a situation where I need my weapon, but can't turn off the safety or load it quickly because it's in my left hand. That would not be good.

That is why you should learn to shoot with your left and your right.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Depends on the gun. A DA gun with a safety like some Berettas and CZs, it's a complete non-issue as they are designed for hammer down/safety off carry as an option. Cocked and locked 1911 or BHP, pretty risky. The ultra short trigger movement and light pull weight makes it much more likely to discharge if things go a little wrong.

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    That is why you should learn to shoot with your left and your right.
    Agreed and I plan to do so. Just trying to think through things on a short-term and long-term basis. I really don't have any experience firing with either hand at this moment, so it's kind of a moot point.
    Depends on the gun. A DA gun with a safety like some Berettas and CZs, it's a complete non-issue as they are designed for hammer down/safety off carry as an option. Cocked and locked 1911 or BHP, pretty risky. The ultra short trigger movement and light pull weight makes it much more likely to discharge if things go a little wrong.
    Good info. I'll keep that in mind, for sure.

dancrichy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I don't mind buying used at all. I would stay away from the big box stores like Gander because they have pretty high prices. If you go to a few online sites or do your homework on what places like Tims or point blank are selling their used guns for you could get a pretty good deal.

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Everything I've owned has always been new. I hate used stuff since I don't know what was done to it in someone else's ownership. That said, since I have been with INGO, I have had some hit and miss but have been satisfied with some of the ones I've traded. Well, perhaps only just one that I really like and the rest I got rid of. The thing I don't get is why would anyone trade or buy someone else's used IWB holster. Really? You want someone else's DNA stuff on you? After reading some of the comments about BO and what not from the gun shows, I can only imagine it might be those same people that are doing the trading and selling. But, to each his/her own. Personally, I'd buy new when it comes to holsters...and belts...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Don't overlook the classics, lots of handguns out there working just as well as they did many years ago. They look better too.:)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Everything I've owned has always been new. I hate used stuff since I don't know what was done to it in someone else's ownership. That said, since I have been with INGO, I have had some hit and miss but have been satisfied with some of the ones I've traded. Well, perhaps only just one that I really like and the rest I got rid of. The thing I don't get is why would anyone trade or buy someone else's used IWB holster. Really? You want someone else's DNA stuff on you? After reading some of the comments about BO and what not from the gun shows, I can only imagine it might be those same people that are doing the trading and selling. But, to each his/her own. Personally, I'd buy new when it comes to holsters...and belts...

I've bought used holsters and no issues at all. You'd be surprised how many "used" holsters are still in the original packaging. People buy a gun, see something shiner and newer, and chase a new carry gun before they've sweated on the old one. Plus, there's some holster makers that have months or years of back log. Used may be the only way to get one of their work before it's just something you'll be buried with.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    It's hard to buy a piece of history that's not been used. Luger, Mauser, M1 why would I want those old used pieces of trash?

As to the question of new or used, my answer is yes please and thank you may I have another.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've bought used holsters and no issues at all. You'd be surprised how many "used" holsters are still in the original packaging. People buy a gun, see something shiner and newer, and chase a new carry gun before they've sweated on the old one. Plus, there's some holster makers that have months or years of back log. Used may be the only way to get one of their work before it's just something you'll be buried with.

I have indeed sold a holster that was brand new in package, as I had every intention to carry that particular gun, but just could not get over some hurdles on changing platforms. Also, an OWB kydex for example, would not be a concern. I would not however buy or sell a well used IWB hybrid holster. That's just a bit too personally connected to the owner.

JACKD7

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Westfield
    It's a crap shoot. But if you stick with what you know and low round counts, you're better off price wise. Compare pricing on GB.

Top Bottom