• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I think that if the issue were studied, "mistaken identity" (careless goombahs shooting at things they can't see) would eclipse "range" as the root cause of such accidents.

I don't have access to "open field" hunting, so a rifle wouldn't change the way I hunt... most places are heavily wooded and you can't see, much less shoot 100 yards.

The only deer I've seen past 100 yards were running a ridge... and since I don't know/can't see what is beyond the target, I won't take that shot.

I'm seriously considering a H&R in .45 Colt, something in .454 Casull, .358 Gremlin, or some other wildcat.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of shotgun hunting. And I won't pay $20 for a box of 5 rounds of fancy sabot ammo. A muzzleloader might be in my future though, for the mere fact that it would extend my hunting season.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I like it the way it is now. I grew up hunting in Texas without cal./load restrictions and although a little more difficult I like the challenge. Shooting a deer at 300 when spotting with glass just isn't the same. And don't get too excited there fellas, the 30-30 is historically not only the worst 30 cal hunting cartridge, it is the worst cartridge for hunting period. You might be better with what we have available right not. Maybe look at a 458 socom.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I honestly hope they don't!:noway: I don't have any issue with rifle calibers, and yes there are some instances where I would have liked to and would like to but the simple fact is SAFETY!! I know that the SAFE and RESPONSIBLE hunters in Indiana way out number the UNSAFE ones, but it only takes a few to ruin someones life! And with the addition of centerfire rifle cartridges especially the higher power ones, the lethality distance just got increased.

I will be the first to admit that some of the IDNR's pistol calibers on the exclusion list puzzle me and that I have serious doubt to some of the Hunter's shooting abilities in this state, but I just see this as a recipe for disaster.

And come on and admit it people, you know as well as I do that it they allow rifle calibers there are going to be plenty of idiots out there that go buy the fastest, flatest shooting cartridge they can get by with and some that use some that they're not supposed to.:dunno:

I use a 12ga normally and have taken deer out to 200yds and last year I started using a Win.94AE in 45Colt with a hot handload and am comfortable now at shots out to 250yds. Why should I need more? I now enjoy getting them closer so I can interact with them, watch them, hear them.

I did have the oppritunity the past 2yrs to take deer on depradation pwermits and took a total of 17 deer with a Mod.70 in 308Win with shots ranging from a little under a 100yds to out past 600yds. Yes it was doping the shot and the satisfaction of a perfect hit at those ranges, but in the hunting aspect there was no excitement.:tantrum:

For excitement it sounds like bow hunting is for you.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    30 30

I like it the way it is now. I grew up hunting in Texas without cal./load restrictions and although a little more difficult I like the challenge. Shooting a deer at 300 when spotting with glass just isn't the same. And don't get too excited there fellas, the 30-30 is historically not only the worst 30 cal hunting cartridge, it is the worst cartridge for hunting period. You might be better with what we have available right not. Maybe look at a 458 socom.
    say what? 30-30 has more than likely killed more game than any other .30 cal. out there. says who? about any gun magazine that ever wrote about the 30-30

XD357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    NW Indiana
    ^ That's what I've been told also. The 30-30 has been around a long time
    and would work for any deer I wanted to shoot.

Matt

edit to add have you ever priced 458 socom? That is if you can find it without
    having it shipped from the internet.

wmitchell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Franklin, In
    30-30 good or bad, if it does the job quickly, clean, and humane, and the shooter is well aware of the capabilities of the round, shoot away if that is the round of your choice. curious on your thoughts about a .243 for deer?

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin

if 30-30 is inferior for indiana deer then a 243 is not even enough for a groundhog, even though people have killed elk with them:rockwoot:

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I think that if the issue were studied, "mistaken identity" (careless goombahs shooting at things they can't see) would eclipse "range" as the root cause of such accidents.

These "goombahs", as YOU called them, already have half the people who hunt or want to hunt scared out of hunting public land with 3-4 shots from a shotgun. What's the point of turning them and the pack of people on here who don't really even want to hunt, and don't hunt now, loose with 30-30s and what ever else they bought to bang away with on a target range? Hunting is hunting and hunting regulations should be made based on what is good for hunting. Hunting is not military training and it's not target shooting and it's not there to pacify some goofball just because he wants to see what his SKS will do to a deer. Hunting is not something you absorb by osmosis through the stock of a rifle when the Marion county politicos put their blessing on it. You won't suddenly turn in to Danial Boone because the DNR blesses a 30-30, you won't know any more about hunting the day after than you did the day before.

If you want to hunt then hunt. Read the regs, know the regs, buy a weapon that's legal to hunt with and then hunt.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Guns & Ammo listed the 30-30 as the cartridge that has been the choice of big game hunters in America for YEARS! Estimated it is by FAR the most desired deer gun.
    Guess all those guys are wrong!

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    30-30

These "goombahs", as YOU called them, already have half the people who hunt or want to hunt scared out of hunting public land with 3-4 shots from a shotgun. What's the point of turning them and the pack of people on here who don't really even want to hunt, and don't hunt now, loose with 30-30s and what ever else they bought to bang away with on a target range? Hunting is hunting and hunting regulations should be made based on what is good for hunting. Hunting is not military training and it's not target shooting and it's not there to pacify some goofball just because he wants to see what his SKS will do to a deer. Hunting is not something you absorb by osmosis through the stock of a rifle when the Marion county politicos put their blessing on it. You won't suddenly turn in to Danial Boone because the DNR blesses a 30-30, you won't know any more about hunting the day after than you did the day before.

why is it that when someone just wants to ask a question and get a simple answer(which he did get in the first reply) that everyone else feels like they have to flame a guy for asking what was a legtimate question that other people were interested in as well? sks-daniel boone-military training. what does any of this have to do with anything? :dunno:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I wouldn't mind a few more calibers but nothing too long range. I mostly use my muzzleloader with my 357 at my side anyways. But it would be nice if private land owners/farmers were allowed to use rifles to take them out of season. I always see deer in some of our fields out of season, esp the one just north of a small woods and pond we own. But can never seem to get them in season. They have a safe spot in a small area across the road where there's no hunting allowed. So then they still tear up our crops during the night when i can't get them.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I wouldn't mind a few more calibers but nothing too long range. I mostly use my muzzleloader with my 357 at my side anyways. But it would be nice if private land owners/farmers were allowed to use rifles to take them out of season. I always see deer in some of our fields out of season, esp the one just north of a small woods and pond we own. But can never seem to get them in season. They have a safe spot in a small area across the road where there's no hunting allowed. So then they still tear up our crops during the night when i can't get them.

Get with your local authority (DNR, ICO) If they are damaging crops significantly, you may be able to get depridation permits. You can use more calibers, but since they are killed for destryoing crops, you can't keep them. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Get with your local authority (DNR, ICO) If they are damaging crops significantly, you may be able to get depridation permits. You can use more calibers, but since they are killed for destryoing crops, you can't keep them. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

yeah I'm gonna have to give a call or two. I know there have been many times dad sees relatively large areas of corn or soybeans knocked down or eaten where they have been. And I've had at least 2-3 occasions within the last 3 weeks or so that I've seen at least one or two does in one of the fields within range of my 357, or my 1911 I had on me each time. I just hope you're not right about not being able to keep them. That would suck.

Rlee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    I'm not going to lie, I am really hoping the 30-30 is passed into the new limtiations. I don't know about the ballastics of this rifle etc etc etc. But I imagine that if it was dangerous in such a way then it won't be passed into the pool.

My reasoning is because from what I have read it seems to be a descent round, and I just picked on up not long ago. :)

My HD shotgun isn't something I really want to take hunting but I guess I could.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

I've heard you can't keep racks but I've never heard anything about wasting meat. I never really studied it much though. I'm opposed to ANY depredation permits of any kind.

Top Bottom