• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    That's what I was thinking,I think I would have noticed the .44mag case being a little loose in the cylinder. Can't really blame it on the reloader.I have seen factory ammo with 2 different calibers in the box,that's why I look at all of the rounds.:twocents:

It isnt as noticeable as you would think I should have checked each before shooting. They came in a plastic bag so i was just reaching in and loading rounds.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    First of all-GLAD the OP was not hurt, and the Ruger was not damaged!

If we keep our eyes open, each post on INGO has the potential for learning info, and personal responsibility. NO, the .44Mag. load should NOT have been packaged in the .45 Colt loads!! YES, the shooter should have noticed the "Smaller" load going into His cylinder.

On one of the posts, a week or so back, one of our INGO's well known Member's was posting info on Wolf/Tula primers. He had noticed a few of the anvils of the primers installed backwards.

You know what??-From then on, I look at ALL of my primers in my flip tray NOW before I turn the flip tray, and place them in my Dillon primer tubes!!

As Andrew, at ProFire says: Always Learning...Bill.

I wasnt a knowledgeable about firearms back then as I am today we all have to inform people of problems we had so others can learn thats what make this forum great.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I have had friends shoot some of my .223 reloads out of their AR's. They asked me if they could try some. If I was not 150% confident, no way I would have let them.

So, in my case, the consensus seems to be that if someone gives you reloads for free, even if they are high quality bullets, they shouldn't be trusted? I think I will pull these apart then and reload them by hand with my Lee Classic (yes, that's how good of a reloader I am, I have a Lee Classic only). I might be a reloading noob, but at least I can follow instructions. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    So wait - the OP chambered a .44 mag round in a .45 LC revoler and is blaming the fact that it was a reload ? That sounds like rear-ending someone in traffic and blaming the traffic signal.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    So wait - the OP chambered a .44 mag round in a .45 LC revoler and is blaming the fact that it was a reload ? That sounds like rear-ending someone in traffic and blaming the traffic signal.

No Im blaming the fact that I purchased these from a store and they were labled 45 colt and somehow a 44 mag got in the bag. I made a mistake by not checking them but we all make mistakes I was just sharing an expierence I had so maybe others could learn from it. Im sure you have never made a mistake and are perfect right?

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    It isnt as noticeable as you would think I should have checked each before shooting. They came in a plastic bag so i was just reaching in and loading rounds.

So those people who cars had gas pedals sticking and causing them to wreck it was their fault?? Maybe they should have checked it when they bought it lol.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    No Im blaming the fact that I purchased these from a store and they were labled 45 colt and somehow a 44 mag got in the bag. I made a mistake by not checking them but we all make mistakes I was just sharing an expierence I had so maybe others could learn from it. Im sure you have never made a mistake and are perfect right?

Well when a thread is titled " Never buy reloads " it's no wonder "reloads" take a beating in the thread. :)

Fact is it only take a few careless reloaders to give all a bad name. The vast majority of reloaders take great care to make safe and good quality ammo.

Whether it's a stuck bullet in the barrel, a gun coming apart, malfunctioning problem, ect, the first thing often heard is " is it a reload ? "

Wrong cartridge mixed in with others.... it can happen also with store bought factory.... :)

This story happened 10 years ago ? You bought the ammo 10 years ago and recently shot it, or it all happened 10 years ago ? I ask because if you still have the Ruger and the brass, might consider looking into reloading yourself... You will probably be shocked at the price of loaded .45 Colt now days, not to mention options, and that Ruger needs loads for it and you'll see that you would be very capable of making better quality, just as safe ammo for a much cheaper price... :)

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A few years ago I purchased a pack of 45 colt reloads from a local mom and pops sportings good store. I wont say the name because I aint gonna bash them.When I turned the case around it read .44 remington magnum! The case had expanded and split the entire length of the case.
    So from no on I wont by reloads from someone even if they are well know and respectable. .

Yea at least ten years ago.

Soooo.....the local MoM and Pop illegally sold handgun ammo to a 14 yr. old kid (25 now according to birth date)...said kid (who illegally purchased .45 colt ammo, then places .44 mag cartridge into .45 vaquero and fires it!! I think this might be one of those stories best kept to yourself Matt52.:dunno:

...I don't know, something doesn't smell right with this story...:n00b:

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    While this story is taking an an interesting twist, the point is, pay attention to what you buy and more importantly, what goes in your gun, regardless of reloads or factory, pay attention. I think thats about all that can come from this story.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I haven't bought reloads in years but luckily I never had a safety problem when I did. Hard to fathom not noticing a .44 in a handful of .45s...guess it's possible!

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Well when a thread is titled " Never buy reloads " it's no wonder "reloads" take a beating in the thread. :)

Fact is it only take a few careless reloaders to give all a bad name. The vast majority of reloaders take great care to make safe and good quality ammo.

Whether it's a stuck bullet in the barrel, a gun coming apart, malfunctioning problem, ect, the first thing often heard is " is it a reload ? "

Wrong cartridge mixed in with others.... it can happen also with store bought factory.... :)

This story happened 10 years ago ? You bought the ammo 10 years ago and recently shot it, or it all happened 10 years ago ? I ask because if you still have the Ruger and the brass, might consider looking into reloading yourself... You will probably be shocked at the price of loaded .45 Colt now days, not to mention options, and that Ruger needs loads for it and you'll see that you would be very capable of making better quality, just as safe ammo for a much cheaper price... :)

Yea it all happened years ago and I do have my dillion press setup to run 45 colt for that very reason because store bought 45 colt is ridicoulusly priced even for standard lead ammo.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    [/COLOR]

Soooo.....the local MoM and Pop illegally sold handgun ammo to a 14 yr. old kid (25 now according to birth date)...said kid (who illegally purchased .45 colt ammo, then places .44 mag cartridge into .45 vaquero and fires it!! I think this might be one of those stories best kept to yourself Matt52.:dunno:

...I don't know, something doesn't smell right with this story...:n00b:

Well if you hadnt spent so much time over thinking yourself everything would be fine. The ammo and firearm was purchased by my father. So you can stop playing detective and take a breath. You was "that" kid in school who snitched on anyone doing something wrong werent you.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well if you hadnt spent so much time over thinking yourself everything would be fine. The ammo and firearm was purchased by my father. So you can stop playing detective and take a breath. You was "that" kid in school who snitched on anyone doing something wrong werent you.

:yesway:Yep! You nailed it Chief!!! :rolleyes: Those were your quotes I cited! I didn't make them up. Just didn't sit right. I think if you review my posting history you'll find you're pissin' in the wind here.

Last edited:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    NEVER GO SHOOTING WITH A FRIEND. Yep... that's right. It's dangerous. true story... my best friend and I were shooting. He was loading pistol mags and loaded one for my Colt 1991A1 Compact. I grabbed it, got 2 shots off and experienced my only FTE. Gt it apart, forced out the empty casing and it was split in sever places and messed up. Looking closer, it was a .40 in there. Yep.... he loaded a .40 into my .45 and it almost cost me my life. Thank god it was a COLT and not some cheap knockoff or I'd have lost my entire arm.

So there you have it, NEVER EVER EVER shoot with a friend.

That is a true story.... and I've shot thousands of rounds of reloads over the years and can't say I've had a problem.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    :yesway:Yep! You nailed it Chief!!! :rolleyes: Those were your quotes I cited! I didn't make them up. Just didn't sit right. I think if you review my posting history you'll find you're pissin' in the wind here.

They main thing I was trying to convey to others was check everything you put in your gun never assume anything. Secondly I didnt put every little detail into the story because that would have taken to long. Little did I realize that people like you out their playing "officer internet" were going to nit pick every little thing about it. I dont know maybe you could spend less time assuming stuff and just ask :dunno: Then maybe things would have been a little less fishy to your delicate nasal passages officer.:dunno::dunno::dunno::n00b::n00b::n00b::n00b:

Top Bottom