• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    A few years ago I purchased a pack of 45 colt reloads from a local mom and pops sportings good store. I wont say the name because I aint gonna bash them. So I take my gun shooting its a ruger vaquero I had been shooting a little bit with no problems so I loaded up another cylinder and started shooting about the third round the gun recoiled heavily more than normal so I went to eject the case from the cylinder and it was stuck. It required punching it out with a screw driver. When I turned the case around it read .44 remington magnum! The case had expanded and split the entire length of the case. Thank god Ruger builds their guns like tanks because had I been using a colt or replica colt or some other gun it would have exploded in my face. So from no on I wont by reloads from someone even if they are well know and respectable. Another good lesson would be to inspect reloads before shooting them but even then you could still get hidden problems.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Thank god Ruger builds their guns like tanks because had I been using a colt or replica colt or some other gun it would have exploded in my face.
    im not offended in any way, but me thinks someone might be. :dunno:

im am glad to hear that you are ok. as a reloader myself, i can understand how easy it is for a simple distraction to throw off a load. just another reason to reload your own ammo. :rockwoot: that way you know whats really behind the bullet. ;)

Have a wonderful night. :ingo:

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    Glad your gun didn't blow up. To be honest, I've shot some of Bob's reloads from Rousch range after the recommendation by a couple of regulars there. They are a little warmer than factory WWB but have been fine.

Going forward though, I will be relying on my own. It's not like Bob is going to replace my gun if his reloads blow it up. ;)

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Someone gave me several reloaded .223 and .30-06. When I shot them, I noticed more kick, and they hit 4" higher than factory loads. Do you think they are dangerous, or just hot on purpose, or just maybe his rejects from testing powder loads? Either way, what would you do with them? Perhaps I should pull them apart and reload them myself, just to be safe? Or am I being too paranoid?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

They an get offended all they want, but it's the truth. Colt's cant handle the pressures, especially the old ones.

Factory .45 Colt loads suck, the round has so much potential but yet there is no factory heavy load for them because someone out there, no matter how many warning lables on the box, would stick a super heavy hunting load in an old Colt and blow a couple fingers off.

So, besides a .44 magnum sneaking its way into a batch of .45 colt rounds, were the reloads okay?

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Someone gave me several reloaded .223 and .30-06. When I shot them, I noticed more kick, and they hit 4" higher than factory loads. Do you think they are dangerous, or just hot on purpose, or just maybe his rejects from testing powder loads? Either way, what would you do with them? Perhaps I should pull them apart and reload them myself, just to be safe? Or am I being too paranoid?
    honestly i believe it is your paranoia. but since i did not make em, i cant judge. may as well take my words with a grain of salt. :dunno:, but since some powders burn at a different rate than others, it would make sense to have a higher velocity, meaning a higher point of impact. they are most likely on the higher end of the max recommended load.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    They an get offended all they want, but it's the truth. Colt's cant handle the pressures, especially the old ones.

Factory .45 Colt loads suck, the round has so much potential but yet there is no factory heavy load for them because someone out there, no matter how many warning lables on the box, would stick a super heavy hunting load in an old Colt and blow a couple fingers off.

So, besides a .44 magnum sneaking its way into a batch of .45 colt rounds, were the reloads okay?

yea they went boom lol

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012

im am glad to hear that you are ok. as a reloader myself, i can understand how easy it is for a simple distraction to throw off a load. just another reason to reload your own ammo. :rockwoot: that way you know whats really behind the bullet. ;)

Have a wonderful night. :ingo:

Facts are facts colts were made for lower pressure rounds and would blow up if a 44 mag were fired in them. However my ruger vaquero(not new vaquero) is "over built" ruger always seems to do this at least on their revolvers so thats why it didnt blow up.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Facts are facts colts were made for lower pressure rounds and would blow up if a 44 mag were fired in them. However my ruger vaquero(not new vaquero) is "over built" ruger always seems to do this at least on their revolvers so thats why it didnt blow up.
    i grew up on an 80's super blackhawk in 44 mag. i know they are beefy.. :D

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center

My Hornady 4th Ed. (1993) has a separate .45Colt data page for loading in the Ruger and T/C only. It shows the difference in velocity (max loads) between the Standard data and the Ruger T/C Only data as 400 fps when using a 250 gr XTP. :eek: (930fps-1350fps)

I'll take the Colt for looks and class, and the Ruger for utility.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I've shot a couple boxes of range reloads, back when they were so cheap I didn't bother loading my own. The stuff I shot was very mild and I had 1 misfire, but other than that they were OK. If I was going to shoot a lot of someone else's reloads, it would have to be someone I knew personally and had a good deal of trust in. I've seen too many "professionals", of all types, that were just plain lousy at what they did, to trust my eyes and fingers to a professional reloader.

It's easy enough to load your own and that way, IF you make a mistake, you know exactly who to blame. :)

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

My .223 rounds are hotter than what I used to buy. The Federal AE223. Same weight bullet, but I use a faster burning powder. However, I'm well within the safe range when it comes to my charge. That's what testing is for. Even my .308 reloads are hotter that the factory loads I fired first through my rifle. Again, same bullet weight, but using a faster burning powder.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I've shot a couple boxes of range reloads, back when they were so cheap I didn't bother loading my own. The stuff I shot was very mild and I had 1 misfire, but other than that they were OK. If I was going to shoot a lot of someone else's reloads, it would have to be someone I knew personally and had a good deal of trust in. I've seen too many "professionals", of all types, that were just plain lousy at what they did, to trust my eyes and fingers to a professional reloader.

It's easy enough to load your own and that way, IF you make a mistake, you know exactly who to blame. :)

I have had friends shoot some of my .223 reloads out of their AR's. They asked me if they could try some. If I was not 150% confident, no way I would have let them.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would contact the reloader to let him know what happened. He may like to know of the situation.

Yes ! I can only think he would appreciate knowing. Even though it appears his loads were perfectly safe, it doesn't change the fact another cartridge did get mixed in the wrong box and could of been a huge problem for many revolvers...

The only reason to ever buy unknown reloads is if you're looking for components that you can't find else-wise...

That and if you are buying at scrap price... This is when a collet type puller excels. Thru the years, I have gotten as many as 500 rounds of questionable loads a few times for almost nothing and salvaged everything but the powder... Even though I am certain I am identifing the powder correctly, I have never been able to find myself comfortable enough to use it... LOL

Problem was loading a 44 mag in a 45 long colt, lucky the bore was over size & you didn't get pressure overload

While the loading data for the .45 Colt is quite impressive ( when using data for Rugers/TC ONLY), it still doesn't run at the pressure of the .44 mag...

I worry about this very thing myself... Most time I shoot, my 13 yr old son and wife are along and we have 7 1/2 bbl stainless Redhawks in both calibers... We also have both calibers in the Blackhawks/Super Blackhawks, but in this case they are different bbl lengths... As a loader, I use different color MTM boxes for each caliber and we all know regardless of who is shooting, to get another one of us to verify before loading...

Rating - 100%
    137   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Problem was loading a 44 mag in a 45 long colt, lucky the bore was over size & you didn't get pressure overload
    That's what I was thinking,I think I would have noticed the .44mag case being a little loose in the cylinder. Can't really blame it on the reloader.I have seen factory ammo with 2 different calibers in the box,that's why I look at all of the rounds.:twocents:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    A little Shooter Responsibility comes into play??

That's what I was thinking,I think I would have noticed the .44mag case being a little loose in the cylinder. Can't really blame it on the reloader.I have seen factory ammo with 2 different calibers in the box,that's why I look at all of the rounds.:twocents:

First of all-GLAD the OP was not hurt, and the Ruger was not damaged!

If we keep our eyes open, each post on INGO has the potential for learning info, and personal responsibility. NO, the .44Mag. load should NOT have been packaged in the .45 Colt loads!! YES, the shooter should have noticed the "Smaller" load going into His cylinder.

On one of the posts, a week or so back, one of our INGO's well known Member's was posting info on Wolf/Tula primers. He had noticed a few of the anvils of the primers installed backwards.

You know what??-From then on, I look at ALL of my primers in my flip tray NOW before I turn the flip tray, and place them in my Dillon primer tubes!!

As Andrew, at ProFire says: Always Learning...Bill.

Top Bottom