• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    do ot anyways, if your outside city limits all they can do is *****, and as for your neighbors I say its time to take care of that damn fence, or at least the parts on your property.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    But the legend is State wide.:D

34 counties and counting.

You call, Kirk hauls.:D

First you were a deputy prosecutor in Lafayette. Then set up practice in Frankfort. Now back for the big money in Lafayette.

Yeah, that's me all the glamor spots--Warren County, West Lafayette City Court, Boone County, Hammond, Indianapolis, inter alia.:laugh:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Say, why don't we have a Mosin range day? A few dozen guys can come out, and I've got a case of blanks that are especially loud. We'll start festivites at a bright and early 4 a.m.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    He lives in Bedford. No law against shooting on property there.

This is probably incorrect.

IN law has pretty explicit text regarding size of property, location (whether within an incorporated town, etc.) and also whether the land is farmed - in order to determine if you are allowed to shoot on your property. There can also be issues with noise violations, which I'm sure Bedford has law regulating.

Trying to "pull rank" by saying you're a military policeman was exactly what he was referring to when he said, "One of those guys." An MP has ZERO jurisdiction in that case, so.... nope.

Best to check the law first. Officer sounded like he was pretty sure of his rationale.

:twocents:

Hoosier Daddy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    holy_thread_resurrection_batman.jpg

Trying to "pull rank" by saying you're a military policeman was exactly what he was referring to when he said, "One of those guys." An MP has ZERO jurisdiction in that case, so.... nope.

1) This thread if from December 2011 and the OP hasn't logged in since 2012, so replying to him seems like a moot point.

2) I got the impression that he mentioned being an M.P to point out his training with handguns, not to imply any jurisdiction.

3) Unless you are the rude officer from the story, you don't know "exactly what he was referring to". :rolleyes:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    This is probably incorrect.

IN law has pretty explicit text regarding size of property, location (whether within an incorporated town, etc.) and also whether the land is farmed - in order to determine if you are allowed to shoot on your property. There can also be issues with noise violations, which I'm sure Bedford has law regulating.

Best to check the law first. Officer sounded like he was pretty sure of his rationale.

:twocents:

Can you post a link to these laws, OR tell me where I can look them up? Im interested to see what it says for my own personal use.

thanks

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Wait until they shoot off fireworks.
    Charge them with detonating I.E.D.s and C.E.D.s and R.P.G.s.
    C.E.D. commercial Explosive Devices.
    I.E.D. Improvised Explosive Devices.
    R.P.G. Rocket propelled Device.

Any firecracker purchased in a store is a C.E.D.
    If they fire off multi-C.E.D.s at one time. it is now a I.E.D.. Improvised by the person to do major damage or harm to a person.
    Any sky rocket is a R.P.G. if it goes BANG it is explosive and can kill or destroy
    If it flashes or lights up. It is an Incendiary and can set thing on fire.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    First you were a deputy prosecutor in Lafayette. Then set up practice in Frankfort. Now back for the big money in Lafayette.

What next? Becoming a partner in a top firm and making 7 figures a year?

With all of the cases of .45ACP that I apparently owe to him, he doesn't really need to work anymore.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    Tell them to remove the fence or you will call the cops, then if they do not, do everything you can to sue them, maybe even "accidentally" touch it, go to the hospital and sue the @#*$ out of them, You do live close to bloomington right? these liberal idiots are just that, idiots. do everything you can to make their lives just as they are making yours. I'm tired of people saying "take the high road", thats a panzy way of saying just let them do whatever they want. FIGHT BACK, and NEVER stop fighting

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Keep shooting and tear down the fence. Had a neighbor try that crap one time. he thought because he had worked for the city he could push his weight around. Said it spooked his horse while his wife was working with it. I said sounds like you need to work with your horses more and if you come on this property again it will be considered trespassing. (Sign Also posted)... sheriff came one time b4,same guy had called. Me and local firefighter were shooting,sheriff checked it out, laughed,and said shoot on!

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    I would suggest an effort to calm the situation, rather than increase the animosity...Talk to your neighbor and listen to what they are saying about shooting and their animals. See if there is a compromise you can reach with them regarding times or days when, with notice, they would not complain about your shooting.

I have three acres in a semi rural area. One of my three neighbors is a lady who cares for her grandchild now and then. Her home is about 150 yards away from my shooting site, but at about a 45 degree angle away from the line of fire. I avoid shooting when she is doing yard work, or if I know the baby is with her in the house. It is not a big deal to me to stall a 'range exercise' until she goes out or at least doesn't have the kid to account for. My other two neighbors are both shooters and more distant than the first one, so they are no worry. My point is, we will be sharing this location with her for a long time...it doesn't take much effort to smooth a neighborly relationship, rather than build a feud.
    JMHO
    AL

murmur70

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Bedford
    That is interesting. I live in Bedford too. I have a friend with a shooting range across the street from a school (not in city limits). The school called the sheriff when he was shooting (the school had two bomb threats that week and tensions were high). The sheriff came out to investigate and said it was no longer big deal.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Old thread...lol...According to the DNR Officer I talked to, your property, legal to shoot in the area....no noise laws, then your clear to shoot, no law says you need a backstop, you can even shoot right at the road...legal...but stupid yes. As long as your shots don't cross the road.....of course I would think you would be liable for any shot that left your property an did damage somewhere else.

The OP should of just kept shooting or contacted a CO instead of the local sheriff.....

grasshopperlegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Cartersburg.
    I also had someone call the police on me about shooting. Well in my County there is no law against shooting on your property. I checked this out before I made a back stop for my pistols and rifles. As far as the police coming they did come (this was years back) and said they had someone call. I showed them my back stop. It is 4ft wide 6ft tall and 4 feet thick of wood and cement block with dirt. So the police officer just said ok and that was it. So you need to find out in your county how the gun laws are as far as shooting.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I also had someone call the police on me about shooting. Well in my County there is no law against shooting on your property. I checked this out before I made a back stop for my pistols and rifles. As far as the police coming they did come (this was years back) and said they had someone call. I showed them my back stop. It is 4ft wide 6ft tall and 4 feet thick of wood and cement block with dirt. So the police officer just said ok and that was it. So you need to find out in your county how the gun laws are as far as shooting.

It does not hurt to call before you start. Let the sheriff (I believe you are outside city jurisdiction) know that you have a small range. Invite them to send someone out to inspect it. Helps if you have a buddy on the force. Ask if they want you to notify them when you are shooting. Most of the time they will say no, do not call.

It is all about building relationships, networking.

Top Bottom