• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Isn't there a rule where you are forbid to earn more than a certain multiple of the average wage in Mexico as a foreigner working there?

Used to work in mexico, wasn't fun. People generally dress better and flashier than in the states so I figure that's just cultural. Carrying that roll was a status symbol if you could get it. As a gringo it was hard to get them to listen even when you were trying to help, they made it clearly understood who was in charge now that I was on their side of the line. Being paid by the hour, in the end I just let them drive their businesses into the ground.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Isn't there a rule where you are forbid to earn more than a certain multiple of the average wage in Mexico as a foreigner working there?

I was paid by the US companies to work in their maquila operations under an FM3, never knew what my counterparts made and there was no discussion about my rate. I got along with just about everybody I worked with there on a personal level, even had dinner at their homes and met their families. The frustration came from the obvious corruption and resistance to anything from north of the river.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    You may not see "drug traffic" but that doesn't mean it isn't there. A very significant meth manufacturing operation was busted a few houses down from where I grew up. Never would have known it because they didn't sell local; it was all being run to Missouri. Nothing suspicious; they lived in a basic rental home, weren't trashy, were friendly (waved every time they went by). The only things "suspicious" was that people seemingly so poor, had 3 camaros, 2 pickup trucks, two 4-wheelers, and a couple motorcycles. Didn't seem odd at the time but looking back it was a bit odd they had so many vehicles.

Your neighbors having nicer vehicles could also be a similar sign.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Anyone thought that maybe this guy just works like a dog and makes a lot of money? I know a Hispanic guy who I've seen make over $100,000 a week before paying help and expenses, on several occasions.....you figure he makes $20,000 a day in wages, pays $10,000 in labor, $2000 in WC, taxes on $8,000, of say $3000....and he is still making $5,000 a day clear for his hassle......and that's just from roofing. He works daylight to dark, manages 80 guys and does 10 houses a day at peak times. He don't smoke, do drugs, can get security clearance on government jobs and even though he speaks broken English, it is the only language spoken in his home by he and his American wife. He don't allow his children to speak Spanish.

I don't think letting a 5 year old carry a wad of cash is wise......but neither do I think it is wise in assuming just because the kid has cash the dad is a slinger. I had a wad when I was younger.....and my dad nor I slung dope. I killed critters and sold the fur. Maybe the kid has a flea market or is a kung fu instructor......lol.

Heck, ask him where he got it.......but duck if he acts unhappy, lol.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Change your username to Al Sharpton, if you read the rest of the post you'd see the point was that the kids aren't submitting to the norms that those in their community expect.

Yep. And maybe the kids were 'well spoken' to boot? Racism, like evil, does exist in the world.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I want thoughts on this; Neighbors are Mexicans and are EXTREMELY outspoken about the prejudice and racism that they endure. It must be true even if I have never seen any of it.

There are many kids, seems like dozens but maybe they are all just real fast. One kid was seen picking up something that was left near the street by other kids. Kid is asked to put it back and he says 'you shouldn't have left it" and put it into his pocket.

The guy who saw this (an adult) goes right to mom asking for her to get into her son a little bit.

All this was only background and the pilfered object means nothing. What I want comments on is mom's response. Mom proudly announces that her kids don't need to pick up white kid's trash, that HER kids have their own money! Next, to prove her statement she calls one of her kids over, a 5 year old, and has him turn out his pockets. THE KID HAS $340 IN 20s!!!! wtf?A little kid packing a pimp roll? Next the teenager comes down off the porch. Mama has hands on her hips looking sooooo proud while Jr. produces several hundred dollar bills plus a 1/2 inch thick wad of 5s, 10s and 20s.

Now I just want to know what is going on next door? I recognize that both mom and dad work. As a matter of fact dad works so long that I only actually see him maybe twice a month.

If they are slinging meth, they aren't doing it here. What gives?

I am old and out of the loop. I know that inflation was orders of magnitude since my kids were that small. Is this normal in 2015? Do children sport this kind of money? Whose 5 year old can produce $340 walking cash? I mean right now...... Playing hard, riding bikes, throwing rocks and sporting a $340 pimp roll? ANYBODY?
    As far as my relations to my neighbors are concerned...who cares? If they keep their house and yard up, no junk cars in the drive/street, it's all good. If they are making money illegally, as long as they don't bring their activity to the neighborhood, what business is it of mine? I'll usually find a way to be cordial to all my neighbors.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Just out of curiosity guys, are these "Mexicans," actually "Americans?"
    Love the stereotypes. "Mexicans" equals ANY Central or South American peoples...except for Brazilians since they don't even speak Spanish. I also like the legality guessing game. Without seeing their "papers" they are just spitballing. No business of mine.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I'm with Denny on this one. It sounds to me like you could do a helluva lot worse as far as neighbors go and I couldn't care less if my neighbor's kids have money or not. I also don't much care for getting involved in the squabbles of little kids unless someone is getting hurt or it is getting out of hand.

It always amazes me the number of adult arrests I see out of parents who's angel was in some way wronged so they feed called to go over and keep it real with the other kid's parents.

As to them being "EXTREMELY outspoken about the prejudice and racism that they endure", I would say that much of this thread is probably pretty good proof they may have a bit of a point.

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Love the stereotypes. "Mexicans" equals ANY Central or South American peoples.

If you are referencing me, you might have missed the part where I said I work with these people. Some of them I call friends. If I say they are Mexicans, who are you to challenge that? Your statement above assuming something about me that you don't know shows that you are the one with the stereotypes.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Change your username to Al Sharpton, if you read the rest of the post you'd see the point was that the kids aren't submitting to the norms that those in their community expect.

Ya know, if had just been said that one of the sons went to IUPUI, did well in school, didn't get into fights, and wasn't in a gang, I'd let it pass. It was the addition of "dates a white girl," which has ABSOLUTELY no bearing, on the character of the kid, that got my attention. If it's nothing of consequence, then why bring it up in the first place?

Perhaps you should change your name to "I don't comprehend all that well, what's being said, and when it comes to reading between the lines, I'm clueless."

Perhaps you don't get out much, or haven't been to Hendricks County in the past decade, but seeing a Latino man and white woman isn't all that uncommon; trashy, not-trashy, or whatever.

And where did this "community" thing magically appear from? All I saw was family? Not that it makes a difference, since we're talking about Hendricks Co.

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Ya know, if had just been said that one of the sons went to IUPUI, did well in school, didn't get into fights, and wasn't in a gang, I'd let it pass. It was the addition of "dates a white girl," which has ABSOLUTELY no bearing, on the character of the kid, that got my attention. If it's nothing of consequence, then why bring it up in the first place?

Perhaps you should change your name to "I don't comprehend all that well, what's being said, and when it comes to reading between the lines, I'm clueless."

Perhaps you don't get out much, or haven't been to Hendricks County in the past decade, but seeing a Latino man and white woman isn't all that uncommon; trashy, not-trashy, or whatever.

And where did this "community" thing magically appear from? All I saw was family? Not that it makes a difference, since we're talking about Hendricks Co.

Kutnupe, you are so quick to condemn everyone for what you think they are that you seriously do yourself a disservice. The "dates a white girl" was in there to show that the kid is assimilating into America. You may not know a lot of actual Mexican people, but I do because of my work, and many of them do not seek to assimilate and make fun of people who do and accuse them of "forgetting who they are".

I could care less if you think I'm a racist. I am a white man who is part native American. My wife isn't white, and I have a nephew who is half-black. I have friends from Mexico, Ethiopia, Jordan and Peru. Guess what? They all love me, and actually know me. As far as I'm concerned you're just a name on a screen who wants to think the worst about everyone instead of giving his fellow man the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Kutnupe, you are so quick to condemn everyone for what you think they are that you seriously do yourself a disservice. The "dates a white girl" was in there to show that the kid is assimilating into America. You may not know a lot of actual Mexican people, but I do because of my work, and many of them do not seek to assimilate and make fun of people who do and accuse them of "forgetting who they are".

I could care less if you think I'm a racist. I am a white man who is part native American. My wife isn't white, and I have a nephew who is half-black. I have friends from Mexico, Ethiopia, Jordan and Peru. Guess what? They all love me, and actually know me. As far as I'm concerned you're just a name of a screen who wants to think the worst about everyone instead of giving his fellow man the benefit of the doubt.

And you still don't get it. How is dating a "white girl" assimilation? Does "white" equal "American?" Couldn't he have just as easily date another Latino girl whose family has been in America for generations (or black, or Asian)? And if the traits you pointed out, the kid has, are indicative of assimilation, what exactly are you saying about Latino culture; that they generally do poorly in school, like to fight, don't go to college, and are in gangs? No one is calling you racist, but what you said (or how your framed it) is certainly racist... based more in ignorance rather than being mean spirited.
    I know lots and lots of Mexicans... actual Mexicans, and Hondurans. I speak the language, and know the culture better than many. A couple of things in this thread, I thought about calling out because they didn't make sense, but whatever.... it's the internet.

Out of curiosity... and be truthful. How well do you know this girl that kid is dating?

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    So you know "actual Mexicans" as opposed to me, huh? The Mexican's I know aren't actually Mexicans, right? They just lie to me and are actually from Costa Rica? Ok, got ya. I'm racist, you're right. Have a nice day.

Top Bottom