• Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Ohh yeah that lug is important.

How was the rifle even locking up without that? On one side only? That had to rattle.
    When you get one make sure both lugs are round, so often they get out of round and don't lock up as good when worn.

What those two lugs do is "lock up" the stock, trigger group, into the receiver...

Without the lug.. problems to say the least.
    It still locks surprisingly well. I can’t move it by hand when the trigger group is locked in place. But, it probably doesn’t hold tight enough when firing it. So, yeah that’s likely the issue. Can’t believe I missed that.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Now that I think about it, we should meet and I will bring a couple of trigger groups also. just to prove its something in your group'
    Let me try a new trigger guard with both lugs. If that doesn’t do it I would very much appreciate borrowing a trigger group to make sure that’s where the problem is.

I just ordered a new trigger guard. Be here soon.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Sounds like someone is getting excited to work on a gun and go shooting.
    Could be a new members thing..instead of meet n shoot or meet n eat..the new this is: Meet n work on guns n shoot..
    I've owned my Garands since when the DCM was still in business and they were one per lifetime. I have my 1st wifes and mine and they were $121.00 bucks a piece.
    M14's were about $400.00 plus a stamp then.
    I'm also not a gunsmith.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I'll bet that fixes it, but I'll be watching with interest. Be sure to keep us posted. Hopefully you're back up and running on Monday.

I had to replace a hammer and trigger on my first CMP Garand because it was worn and occasionally doubling...not fun with a cartridge with the recoil of the .30-06. It's not "AR-15 simple", but the Garand trigger group isn't too complicated or difficult to work with.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Ok, update on the M1. New trigger guard, trigger assembly, trigger pin and hammer pin. It function tests perfect with the old stock. The new stock is a different story. The trigger group goes in but doesn’t want to lock in place. If I force it in place it will lock but I am wondering if this might be what broke the lug in the first place. I probably need to remove some wood to get it to fit normally. I can see a slight difference in the stocks where the plate is (this is where a magazine would be in an M1A). Also, with the new stock the bolt seems to hang a little.

Not sure exactly when but I will test fire with the old stock to make sure everything is working like it should mechanically.

Then look at working on the new stock.

Squirt239

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Ok, update on the M1. New trigger guard, trigger assembly, trigger pin and hammer pin. It function tests perfect with the old stock. The new stock is a different story. The trigger group goes in but doesn’t want to lock in place. If I force it in place it will lock but I am wondering if this might be what broke the lug in the first place. I probably need to remove some wood to get it to fit normally. I can see a slight difference in the stocks where the plate is (this is where a magazine would be in an M1A). Also, with the new stock the bolt seems to hang a little.

Not sure exactly when but I will test fire with the old stock to make sure everything is working like it should mechanically.

Take a piece of tracing paper and make a rubbing of each. Cut them out and compare.

You'll find out real quick where the problem is

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis

Or it’s perfect with the new stock.

Tight Lock up is good for accuracy. New garands often required a mallet to help lock the trigger guard. Sounds like you fixed it perfect.

yeah you probably had a dodgy trigger guard that broke with tight proper lock up, The new one sounds like it locks up golden.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Or it’s perfect with the new stock.

Tight Lock up is good for accuracy. New garands often required a mallet to help lock the trigger guard. Sounds like you fixed it perfect.

yeah you probably had a dodgy trigger guard that broke with tight proper lock up, The new one sounds like it locks up golden.
    Well, maybe the test fire will involve both stocks then. I did not think it was supposed to be that tight of a lock up.

Top Bottom