Need to trap a rodent in the house! Ideas?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    No, it is not CM...nobody's invited me for cheeseburgers!
    There is some type of rodent in the walls. I hope it isn't as big as it sounds. First, I would see dust bunnies in the kitchen in the morning, where it had been under the stove or refrigerator. Then we started hearing noise in the wall. I set a couple of traps, haven't had much luck with peanut butter in the past, this time I tried hot dogs. No luck.
    Yesterday when I was vacuuming, I found a pretty large hole in the wall beside the end table, right under an electrical outlet. It had to have happened recently, within the last week. I don't want to use poison because we have dogs. Any ideas?
    Thanks

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    You might try a glue trap. I got a mouse that way a few weeks ago. I knew where I could put one in his path as he would dart from the laundry room to the dog's food bowl.

76chevy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    glue traps work well, so does the rodenticide poison. I beleive it it is tomcat brand I have and had good luck with. You can put it in the crawl space or attic to keep from pets.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    glue traps work well, so does the rodenticide poison. I beleive it it is tomcat brand I have and had good luck with. You can put it in the crawl space or attic to keep from pets.

What if the rodent makes it into the house or the yard before it dies? It won't die fast enough to eliminate that possibility, will it?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I once used a S&W 17-8 and some Aguila Colibri ammo. Worked great on the mouse that used to run across the living room with some regularity.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Are they eating the peanut butter and not being caught ?
    Are the traps set in the runways along the wall ?

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I've always had good luck with the PB and snaps, everywhere I'd like to use glue I can't because it seems when it gets cold the glue looses it tackyness.

And sometimes them mices drag the glue pads to never never found land ..
    But if its warm they do work. Maybe tape one to the wall under the hole ?

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    I've always had good luck with the PB and snaps, everywhere I'd like to use glue I can't because it seems when it gets cold the glue looses it tackyness.
    Same here. When we were renting an old farmhouse before the new house was built we had them every fall. PB worked every time. The Mrs. was cheap and bought the old fashioned snap version which either went off by themselves, wouldn't go off at all, or would darn near snap the rodent in half - depending on how accurately I set the trigger. LOL

New snap model was more accurate when we needed it the first month of the new house (doors were always open so I'm amazed we only had 2), but PB was a great attractant.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've always used peanut butter on the snap traps, put them around the edge with the bait side to the wall, and I've attached ball chain to the traps, then thumbtacked them to the wall so they don't get lost. I caught bunches that way back when they developed the cornfield kitty corner to me and drove them out into the neighborhood, even a couple of shrews in the garage. A few days ago I had a squirrel get loose on me and the cats and I got it cornered and I grabbed it.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    What if the rodent makes it into the house or the yard before it dies? It won't die fast enough to eliminate that possibility, will it?
    No. You will probably know when gets stuck as they are gonna struggle a great deal. You then have the dubious pleasure of picking up a trap with a live rodent and disposing of it all.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I've always used peanut butter on the snap traps, put them around the edge with the bait side to the wall, and I've attached ball chain to the traps, then thumbtacked them to the wall so they don't get lost. I caught bunches that way back when they developed the cornfield kitty corner to me and drove them out into the neighborhood, even a couple of shrews in the garage. A few days ago I had a squirrel get loose on me and the cats and I got it cornered and I grabbed it.

You grabbed a live squirrel? You are braver (or dumber perhaps. :) ) than I am! :):

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    No, it is not CM...nobody's invited me for cheeseburgers!
    There is some type of rodent in the walls. I hope it isn't as big as it sounds. First, I would see dust bunnies in the kitchen in the morning, where it had been under the stove or refrigerator. Then we started hearing noise in the wall. I set a couple of traps, haven't had much luck with peanut butter in the past, this time I tried hot dogs. No luck.
    Yesterday when I was vacuuming, I found a pretty large hole in the wall beside the end table, right under an electrical outlet. It had to have happened recently, within the last week. I don't want to use poison because we have dogs. Any ideas?
    Thanks

Large as in, how large? Doesn't take much for a mouse to get through. Rats, however will make a pretty big hole.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

Here's my lesson on grabbing wildlife,
    I was scuba diving years ago ( 30 ) checking the two boat morrings behind my parents home and when I surfaced once, my SFather was on the beach and pointed at some mallards about 40 yards away.. He made the motion to grab the duck and pull it under water and we can eat it for dinner..
    So I did the upside down breaststroke and shortly I eyeballed those familiar orange webbed feet, and I was stupid enough to grab them and pull the duck underwater. Very shortly yet again I was given a life lesson, I was taught a animial can't defferentiate between play and death.
    Within say the next 8 to 12 seconds that duck left me with no mask on my face, a regulator torn out of my mouth and about 40 welts where he bit me..
    When I let go and surfaced the duck was swimming away quacking telling everyone to hit the skyway, my stepfather laughing hysterically on the beach and me coughing and spitting our salt water.. Whenever duck hunting comes up,, so does that awful afternoon.

Top Bottom